Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Spring Season Title Race - 2019

Recommended Posts

In spite of their somewhat slow start, does anybody else feel that Forge might just be the team to beat?

Cavalry have the 6 points out of 6 but they have not really impressed me. Ditto for FCE, the other 100% team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In spite of their somewhat slow start, does anybody else feel that Forge might just be the team to beat?

Cavalry have the 6 points out of 6 but they have not really impressed me. Ditto for FCE, the other 100% team.

It’s too early for me to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In spite of their somewhat slow start, does anybody else feel that Forge might just be the team to beat?

What is it about their first three performances that makes you think this? I would have a very hard time predicting the outcome of any match-up from what we've seen so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just pleased the football has been decent with lots of excitement in mostly close scorelines, I don't think Forge are the best team at this point, I don't know who is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calgary and Edmonton as the sleepers for me. I still fancy Calgary. Let's see if forge can build on their momentum. 

Really the league has been as I expected, Very tight and hard to pick a favourite. There are so many great players, stories and scenarios at each club that it could swing in pretty much any direction. 

Halifax was almost a complete unknown but they have arguably the best coach and we can see their identity straight away. Pereira is a huge piece to their success. The young canadians look good and the seasoned vets are strong. 

Edmonton to a point where similar. Lots of unknown academy products but consistency and familiarity with each other and the coach which could still be huge. They didnt play great in their opener but got three points. They are probably the quickest team in the league and have some real veteran class in marcelin. If they click they could still be top. 

Valour have most of the pieces but they aren't clicking fully yet. I would say the same about York and Pacific, the latter who looked so great in the opener. 

Forge on paper arguably should be up top but as we have seen, football doesn't work like that. The slow start in such a slow season could well be costly for them. I think they will be there or there abouts for the 2nd season though if they dont claw back this half. 

Cavalry haven't been as exciting or attractive to watch as many would hope but damn they are effective, cohesive and tight at the back. Much like Edmonton they have the advantage of so many players working together and with the manager and coaches before this season. They also bring a winning mentality. The attacking players are also certainly there and with 3 strong strikers they shouldn't suffer the Halifax fate. 

I think like all the teams calgary are yet to gel or even get close. Difference is they picked up the points both games where others haven't. Tomorrow could well be a huge early season title decider. If Calgary can win that is huge momentum and forge might well already be out of the race. Seems a silly thing to say with 6/7 games left but it's fine margins in such a short season if they can pull ahead of the pack that has been very equal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forge vs. Cavalry. It's getting real. Whoever wins goes top. Big test for Cavalry: we will find out if they are as good away from home as they have been at Spruce Meadow.

And on Thursday, Valour vs. Forge will mark the half way point for Valour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really a toss-up. If PFC and Forge win today then suddenly it is a very tight table with Forge 7p in 4 games, Cavalry 6p in 3 games, Forge/Pacific 6p in 4 games. And Edmonton and Halifax would be one win away from being right back in it. On the flip side, if Edmonton and Cavalry win they are both clearly in the driver's seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stating the obvious but Calvary have set the pace with 9 points out of 3 games.

Going to be a very busy schedule for them if they can get by Pacific in the Voyageurs Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cavs are definitely the team to beat. I think they can rest a lot of their starters in Wednesdays cup match against PFC and still get a draw or win. Then put out the A team against Edmonton on Saturday. If they win Saturday I don’t see anyone catching them, especially at that point they would have beaten all the top teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So how many points does it take to win the Spring Season?

And will it really come down to July 1 after all?

I am guessing 21, and no.

Yeah all the CPL analyst are floating 20-21. Seems like a good bet, and no I think the team that win it my guess(Cavs) win it before the final weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cavalry 5-0, aided by late heroics twice, so I guess the race is now for 2nd place. Are Forge 2nd best right now? Or FCE? I'm going to say Forge. I think FCE will prove hard to beat but also may end up with a lot of draws.

If Rob Gale can solve Valour's difficulty creating presentable chances they may insert themselves into the race for the remaining berth in the Championship game, but you have to fancy Forge right now, particularly since they have arguably the best player in CPL to this point in Borges.

I don't see a lot of hope for the other three though. York 9 looking weakest to me so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Cavalry 5-0, aided by late heroics twice, so I guess the race is now for 2nd place. Are Forge 2nd best right now? Or FCE? I'm going to say Forge. I think FCE will prove hard to beat but also may end up with a lot of draws.

If Rob Gale can solve Valour's difficulty creating presentable chances they may insert themselves into the race for the remaining berth in the Championship game, but you have to fancy Forge right now, particularly since they have arguably the best player in CPL to this point in Borges.

I don't see a lot of hope for the other three though. York 9 looking weakest to me so far.

I agree with your assessment. York, Pacific, and unfortunately Halifax have some work to do. 

Valour I place above them but below the other 3. 

Edmonton and Forge are most likely to beat Calgary in their current form I think. Eyes on the Edmonton / Cavs game coming up. That'll be a big one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring season is pretty well done. Everything would have to go wrong for the Cavs and everything would have to go right for another team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Spring season competition ended with the Cavalry's injury time goal in the rain on Mother's Day at THF, there is still lots to play for though and of course we have a Fall season ahead! I still think there is reasonable parity in this league which is good since we're starting from scratch, it is a work in progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, gator said:

I think the Spring season competition ended with the Cavalry's injury time goal in the rain on Mother's Day at THF, there is still lots to play for though and of course we have a Fall season ahead! I still think there is reasonable parity in this league which is good since we're starting from scratch, it is a work in progress!

I agree.  That goal probably put them out of reach for Forge who seems to be separating as the 2nd best team so far.

Calgary has the best defending in the league so far and their system organization has given them a leg up on everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, barring an epic collapse, Cavalry win the Spring Season.

Question 1: What exactly do they win?

Question 2: If Cavalry win the Fall Season too, the other berth in the Championship Game goes to the team with the most points over the combined seasons. In which case, as teams chase that berth, it will be a Combined Seasons table that will be of interest, not the Fall Season one. Unless Cavalry drop out of 1st place in the Fall Season, then we are back to the Fall Season table. Does this seem a bit hokey to anyone else?

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, narduch said:

I was wondering if there was some kind of trophy as well. 

I don't mind the system I just wish they balanced the seasons 

They said that they wanted to use Canada Day as the climax to the Spring Season. Which makes sense. Balanced would be better but then you have an even more artificial break between the two seasons. (With this format, I believe the New Year usually separates the seasons.)

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does that mean they will do this every year?

I guess if we are having a playoff it doesnt matter.  

I actually fully expect the CPL to increase the size of the playoffs as the number of teams increases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lofty said:

So, barring an epic collapse, Cavalry win the Spring Season.

Question 1: What exactly do they win?

Question 2: If Cavalry win the Fall Season too, the other berth in the Championship Game goes to the team with the most points over the combined seasons. In which case, as teams chase that berth, it will be a Combined Seasons table that will be of interest, not the Fall Season one. Unless Cavalry drop out of 1st place in the Fall Season, then we are back to the Fall Season table. Does this seem a bit hokey to anyone else?

Spring Season plays Fall Season. Very simple and straightforward. So, if you want to always have a championship series, you need to pick another team in that one case where the same team wins both. Again, the CPL solution to this is the most natural : pick the best overall record. What else would you do? Fall runner-up : no.

In the case where the same team wins the better debate is whether they should win the title outright. Sure. But personally, I'm fine with having a championship game in this scenario. Should that team that won both seasons lose in the championship no one will ever be able to take away the fact that they did win both seasons and it will likely get mentioned all the time the championship for that year is reported on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Forge have a 10/11 point lead over the rest of the pack.

If Cavalry wins the Summer season as well I'm not sure the other 5 clubs have it in them to make up that large of a deficit.

I guess that's why you play the games though. One team will probably go on a run an surprise us.

Edited by narduch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, narduch said:

Forge have a 10/11 point lead over the rest of the pack.

If Cavalry wins the Summer season as well I'm not sure the other 5 clubs have it in them to make up that large of a deficit.

I guess that's why you play the games though. One team will probably go on a run an surprise us.

Exactly. If Cavalry take the lead in the Fall Season, which is likely, then who will give a fig about the Fall Season table? It will be the Combined Season table that will interest everybody as the chase for that final berth unfolds. Which would make a bit of a joke of the two season format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lofty said:

Exactly. If Cavalry take the lead in the Fall Season, which is likely, then who will give a fig about the Fall Season table? It will be the Combined Season table that will interest everybody as the chase for that final berth unfolds. Which would make a bit of a joke of the two season format.

I am not a fan of split seasons (although I have never supported a team that played in one) but I feel like I should point out that a single table to determine a champion would with the scenario you describe above means it would be a runaway season with little motivation to care about the late season games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...