NCAA+ Canadians 2019

Big_M

That will damn near guarantee Rapaso getting a decent draft spot as long as he doesnt fall flat in predraft workouts etc.  Sure hope he can stick with an MLS club.  

Allistar Johnson had 3g, 5a in 22games for Wake forrest, top drawer had him number 46 on the top 100 list.  His little brother is at Maryland and got 4g, 4a and made the big ten all freshman team, so he is a chip off the old block (38th rated top rookie).  

Maybe some guys for the CPL to look at, Seniors, Duarte(mid) at Stjohns, Ferrin(mid/for) at Syracuse .  And maybe a couple names to salt away, Matt Chandler CB, 6'6 soph Stjohns, started almost every game this season and Jalen Watson fresh CB, Penn st, ranked 67th best rookie this season in NCAA.   

Those MLS guys are so lazy..they slot in Raposo and Johnston to be picked by Van and Montreal.  Van at #4 has a real chance of grabbing one of the few guys that can walk right in and contribute.  Usually there are only a handful of those players every year.  Other mock drafts arent as high on our CDN kids, I've seen Raposo in mid first round and Johnston not in the first round at all.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Those MLS guys are so lazy..they slot in Raposo and Johnston to be picked by Van and Montreal.  Van at #4 has a real chance of grabbing one of the few guys that can walk right in and contribute.  Usually there are only a handful of those players every year.  Other mock drafts arent as high on our CDN kids, I've seen Raposo in mid first round and Johnston not in the first round at all.  

I've seen Johnston at 9 for the Impact elsewhere. Raposo might be a reach, but the GA class isn't that strong. 

I did a quick check for Canadians on the top teams in NCAA to see if there were any interesting upcoming prospects, and which players were seniors as they would likely be targets for CPL. Note that the stats are their 2019 season stats and points are based on NCAA formula of goals being worth 2 points.

Not too many Seniors on top teams this year but the available ones are Massimo Ferrin, Brandon Duarte, Nikal Clarke-Smith, Abdou Samake and Mateo Restrepo.

Ferrin especially looks interesting as he was only outscored by his Syracuse team mate, Ryan Raposo. However I had heard his name come up a few times on Twitter, so I would not be surprised if he was drafted in Round 3 or 4 later today

Name Pos School Year GP G A Pts Notes
Tani Oluwaseyi F/M St. John's Junior 20 11 5 27 GPS Academy
Massimo Ferrin F Syracuse Senior 20 7 9 23 Vaughan Azzurri
Malcolm Johnston M Maryland Freshman 20 4 4 12 Vaughan Azzurri
Stephen Afrifa M FIU Freshman 18 3 3 9 Woodbridge Strikers
Hilli Goldhar M Syracuse Sophomore 20 1 6 8 Sigma FC
Brandon Duarte M St. John's Senior 20 2 3 7 Oakville Blue Devils
Simon Triantafillou M Syracuse Junior 20 2 3 7 Sigma FC
Preston Popp F Charlotte Sophomore 19 3 0 6 North Carolina FC
Kyle Hiebert D Missouri Redshirt Junior 20 1 2 4 U18 National Team, PDL (WSA Winnipeg?)
Jalen Watson D Penn State Freshman 15 1 2 4 Whitecaps Academy, Erin Mills SC
Wumi Aladetmi F UC Davis Redshirt Freshman 18 1 2 4  
Ronaldo Marshall F FIU Freshman 13 1 2 4 Woodbridge Strikers
Jeremy Di Lallo F/M UCF Freshman 15 1 1 3 U19 Orlando City, Montverde Academy
Brock Lindow M Kentucky Sophomore 15 1 1 3  
Rohun Kawale M/D Rhode Island Freshman 19 1 1 3 IMG Academy
Nikal Clarke-Smith D Virginia Tech Senior 16 1 0 2 Sheridan College
Joel Harrison D Michigan Junior 19 1 0 2 Whitecaps Res, Surrey United SC
Abdou Samake D Michigan Senior 22 0 2 2 Montreal Impact Academy
Matt Chandler D St. John's Junior 20 0 1 1 Markham FC
Justyn Thomas D Wake Forest Junior 18 0 0 0 Vaughan Azzurri, TFC Academy, U15 National Team
Mateo Restrepo D UC Santa Barbara Senior 19 0 0 0 TFC Academy, FC Ingolstadt U19, U18 National Team
Demarre Montoute D Marshall Freshman 11 0 0 0 Vaughan Azzurri
Luka Gavrab G St. John's Redshirt Freshman 18 0 0 0 GPS Academy, Hamilton Croatia
Malcolm Duncan D Providence Junior 23 0 0 0 Sigma FC
Rimi Olatunji G Providence Redshirt Freshman 2 0 0 0 TFC Academy
Sosa Emovon F Michigan Sophomore 6 0 0 0 National Team ID Camp
Marques Antoine D Maryland Freshman 7 0 0 0 Montreal Impact Academy, U17 National Team
David Viscosi D Wright State Freshman 5 0 0 0  

?? That is a quick check??  Very impressive my young padawan.  You'll have to cut and paste that list onto the 2020 NCAA thread.  Personally I think guys like Duarte, Ferrin, Restrepo etc are probably better off keeping an eye on CPL.  Half the MLS clubs wont use their 3-4th rounds picks and if you do get picked its basically a toss up whether they;ll even get signed to a USL affiliate or just go unsigned.  With CPL teams building their rosters now, they could sign with a team like Valour, get 20 pro games this summer to showcase the talents.  

Edited by Bison44

50 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

?? That is a quick check??  Very impressive my young padawan.  You'll have to cut and paste that list onto the 2020 NCAA thread.  Personally I think guys like Duarte, Ferrin, Restrepo etc are probably better off keeping an eye on CPL.  Half the MLS clubs wont use their 3-4th rounds picks and if you do get picked its basically a toss up whether they;ll even get signed to a USL affiliate or just go unsigned.  With CPL teams building their rosters now, they could sign with a team like Valour, get 20 pro games this summer to showcase the talents.  

Haha quick as in I just scanned the hometowns on the rosters quickly. Could have missed a few (we have a lot more Canadians in top NCAA programs than we used to) and some Canadians could have their hometowns listed as being outside of Canada.

I agree that they would be better off. Hopefully they think that way as well like Zajac did last year. I just feel like a Canadian team might draft a guy like Ferrin since Vaughan had done so well in the draft this year and he put up solid numbers as well

Ferrin et al might get a flyer from a CDN team, but that might mean a loan to a CPL team anyway. 

Whatever happend to Matt Constant? He only played 12g with Northcarolina but was pretty highly touted before he transfered from New mexico.  That kid has Manitoba roots, come home....Valour need someone...anyone.  

Looks like I missed Seattle. Added a couple seniors including Avila-Good who was drafted by the Sounders 78th overall (Though there were some passes before, so does it really count as 78??)

Julian Avila-Good M Seattle Senior 23 1 3 5 Winnipeg South End United, U15 National Team
Thomas Mickoski D Seattle Senior 20 0 4 4 TFC Academy, U17 National Team

Nothing new, so why keep doing it?  They are scaling the draft down in almost every other sense.  Now there are more and more MLS teams picking, the talent is gone quicker and quicker.  Its telling that right off the bat in round 3 teams were passing.  With MLS academies getting more and more established they dont need or want to draft 4 22 year olds every year.  

78 picks is the equivalent of three rounds..they will probably go down to two or three..but a lot of teams have reserve teams and need players other than just 19 year old academy players..and expansion teams need to build 1-2 squads quickly so its useful for them to get players or to make trades

On 1/14/2020 at 8:53 AM, Big_M said:

78 picks is the equivalent of three rounds..they will probably go down to two or three..but a lot of teams have reserve teams and need players other than just 19 year old academy players..and expansion teams need to build 1-2 squads quickly so its useful for them to get players or to make trades

What would stop those teams from simply offering those players that weren't selected in a slimmed down, 2-round draft free agent contracts, if they needed the bodies? 

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

What would stop those teams from simply offering those players that weren't selected in a slimmed down, 2-round draft free agent contracts, if they needed the bodies? 

Nothing, thats how the USL teams pick up the college players a la Comsia last year with North carolina or Didic with swope park.  And any MLS squads that are hard up can do the same.  

• 3 weeks later...