Canadians Abroad May 10 - May 16, 2019

Big_M

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If they win today they are 4 points back with 2 games to go. Unlikely, but they can technically still win the league. They have to win their remaining games and pray the two teams above them drop points.

By the way, Besiktas are already up 1-0

Next weekend Galatasaray plays Basaksehir, so it’s likely one of the top 2 will drop points and give Besiktas a chance to move within 1 point going into the last week of the season. Still not likely to make the CL, but there is a chance if they keep winning and Basaksehir keeps struggling (1 win in the last 6)

Besiktas up 2-1 62 mins in

39 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Simeon Jackson starting vs Hamilton Academical

Jackson drew a red, Hamilton should have received another when their striker elbowed a defender in the head, the defender left the game right after

Tajon Buchanan is starting for New England in a friendly match against Chelsea tonight. It's almost a best XI for Chelsea with the likes of Hazard, Giroud, Luiz and Kepa all starting. It should be pretty cool for Tajon, and hopefully he can get some valuable experience against some of the best players in the world!

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If only Tomori played for Canada he would complete a dream CB pairing with Henry.  We would then have a World Cup quality pair of CB’s.

No we wouldn't. As much as I like Henry and he's been playing well lately, he's still a long way from being a world class top defender. 

Rantjitsingh started for Orlando last night. His first start, hope there's more to come! Game ended in 2-1 for Seattle. 

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

No we wouldn't. As much as I like Henry and he's been playing well lately, he's still a long way from being a world class top defender. 

Rantjitsingh started for Orlando last night. His first start, hope there's more to come! Game ended in 2-1 for Seattle. 

Theres a difference between "world cup quality" and "world class top defender"

I think the two of you are referencing two different levels of quality. Theres a lot of decent CBs who have played in the world cup, but they aren't world class. 

Edited by king1010

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

David starting for Gent today.

.........and scores in the 45th!

David goal around 1.10. He's got an uncanny ability to find space in the box.  Keeper makes fantastic save off David's header and then he calmly chips it in.  Lot of strikers in his position would just try to blast it as hard as possible.

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/24298/royal-antwerp-kaa-gent

On 5/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, king1010 said:

Theres a difference between "world cup quality" and "world class top defender"

I think the two of you are referencing two different levels of quality. Theres a lot of decent CBs who have played in the world cup, but they aren't world class. 

So basically any defender playing at the World Cup is WC quality. So it says nothing then. 

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

So basically any defender playing at the World Cup is WC quality. So it says nothing then. 

No, it says something to be a defender on a world cup team.

Your team has to be good to qualify for the world cup. You have to be one of the best players in your country to make the world cup on that good team. You are world cup quality. 

Some players/ teams in the world cup are on another level therefore some players are world class. There is a difference.

If canada qualified to the world cup on the back of a stronger performance from Henry he would he classified in the former group. 

Edited by king1010

5 hours ago, shamrock said:

Larin has played so little, should he even be at the Gold Cup? 

IYes, I think so. Beşiktaş would wipe the floor with any MLS team Larin would be a regular starter for, which is probably 75% of the teams. 

I watched the second half of the Besiktas match yesterday. Hutchinson was his usual self, directing the players around him as he was the brain of the midfield, with Kagawa and another player (Turkish player perhaps?) who I didn't recognize playing ahead of him in a midfield 3.

Nothing was really coming off for Besiktas and a wonder goal by Trabzonspor sealed the result. As I was watching, it never felt like a game where they'd bring on Larin. Perhaps a lot of games felt that way this season.

Moreover, the guy who took the CF spot for Besiktas is 2nd in the league's golden boot race. It is understandable that Larin has had to bide his time. To his credit, it seems he's had a great attitude about it thus far.

In my opinion it is too early for Larin to jump ship. Remember, Larin is 24 and Besiktas are a big club as far as players from concacaf are concerned. If we are being honest, this level of club would have been his projected ceiling, but instead he exploded onto the MLS scene with 17 goals and exceeded everyones expectation by orders of magnitude. 

In some ways, the hype around 2015 Larin felt like the hype around 2018/19 David. Ironically they are both poachers in the box too (though David has more variety in his game overall).

So perhaps Larin is a cautionary tale for us that the road for Jonathan David has just begun, and they'll be many ups and downs along the way.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I watched the second half of the Besiktas match yesterday. Hutchinson was his usual self, directing the players around him as he was the brain of the midfield, with Kagawa and another player (Turkish player perhaps?) who I didn't recognize playing ahead of him in a midfield 3.

Nothing was really coming off for Besiktas and a wonder goal by Trabzonspor sealed the result. As I was watching, it never felt like a game where they'd bring on Larin. Perhaps a lot of games felt that way this season.

Moreover, the guy who took the CF spot for Besiktas is 2nd in the league's golden boot race. It is understandable that Larin has had to bide his time. To his credit, it seems he's had a great attitude about it thus far.

In my opinion it is too early for Larin to jump ship. Remember, Larin is 24 and Besiktas are a big club as far as players from concacaf are concerned. If we are being honest, this level of club would have been his projected ceiling, but instead he exploded onto the MLS scene with 17 goals and exceeded everyones expectation by orders of magnitude. 

In some ways, the hype around 2015 Larin felt like the hype around 2018/19 David. Ironically they are both poachers in the box too (though David has more variety in his game overall).

So perhaps Larin is a cautionary tale for us that the road for Jonathan David has just begun, and they'll be many ups and downs along the way.

And right on cue David scores the winner against Anderlecht. That's 12 league goals and a 2-1 win for Gent!