Match thread-May 8th. 2019 -Cavalry FC vs Valour FC

1 minute ago, red card said:

From watching all the teams so far, Cavalry and FCE play the least interesting styles and most suited for the laissez faire style of reffing. 

For the sake of the CPL and the development of our players, I hope teams like Forge or Valour win the league. Or the reffing has to get more tighter - upper body contact such as shoulder to shoulder is fine but more of the lower body contact needs to be whistled.

As a Cavalry fan I’m interested in winning, and our style has been doing that. We dominate possession but we have still been generating a lot of chances so I’m entertained. Other games definitely have been more enjoying to watch, but that’s because most teams don’t play as tight as us and give up way more chances.

21 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Random thoughts:

1. Escalante left with Skylar Thomas's jockstrap in his pocket.

2. Galvis wears the goat horns for the loss. Just about the stupidest foul imaginable: opposing player has let the ball run far away from him and it is going straight to one of your own players but by all means stick your leg out on the edge of your own box and give him an excuse to hit the deck. In the last few mins of a 0-0 match. So that they can score the winner direct from the free kick.

3. Calum Ferguson is one on one with the Cavalry keeper if only he realizes he has a left foot. Wikipedia says this alleged centre forward has scored 1 goal in 38 senior appearances. Personally, I find that hard to believe. There is no way he has scored a goal.

4. Not Tyson Farago's best performance.

5. Muenkat was pretty much invisible.

6. Arguiñarena and Sacramento both continue to impress.

7. Golubar is doing alright but somehow I expected more. Not as polished as I thought.

8. Musse has looked promising but no end product yet.

9. Gutierrez (or La Zumbina or whatever he has on the back of his shirt) is doing a good job.

9. Valour's only finisher appears to be Hoyle. What are we going to do when he doesn't play (well, we found that out today), or when the other teams work out that nobody else is going to score?

10. Very decent full debut by Mitter but for gawd's sake don't ever let him be in a foot race. Still, he was solid and confident. Better than either Thomas or Murrell on the day.

11. Petrasso is gone for a while. Hamstrings take weeks or months to heal (probably weeks in his case as it did not look too bad). That is going to hurt as he has definitely been our most lively attacking player.

12. The supporting cast looks very mediocre. I'm afeared for us when our best players are out.

Diego’s full legal name is Diego Nicolas Gutierrez Zuñiga. Although he was born in Quebec his family including his twin brother Cristian returned to Chile when he was three. To honour his mother, he opted to change the name on the back of his shirt to D.G. Zuñiga , her maiden name.

34 minutes ago, Lofty said:

2. Galvis wears the goat horns for the loss. Just about the stupidest foul imaginable: opposing player has let the ball run far away from him and it is going straight to one of your own players but by all means stick your leg out on the edge of your own box and give him an excuse to hit the deck. In the last few mins of a 0-0 match. So that they can score the winner direct from the free kick.

He has been one of the disappointments for me in the league so far. To think that this guy was on the fringes of the full national team not too long ago!!

6 hours ago, Charlesmazzz said:

Diego’s full legal name is Diego Nicolas Gutierrez Zuñiga. Although he was born in Quebec his family including his twin brother Cristian returned to Chile when he was three. To honour his mother, he opted to change the name on the back of his shirt to D.G. Zuñiga , her maiden name.

Technically, if you are Spanish you don't have a maiden name, you have your name for life, though I understand what you are saying--in Canada you do end up having one. And having a second surname is confusing in Canada, since a Gutiérrez Zuñiga should be filed under G, as your first surname is determinant, but in Canada would get put under Z.

My mom often calls my wife by my (and her) last name, and my wife finds it funny.

Many artists and football players who have a conventional first surname use their mom's, even though the first surname is determinant: Pablo Ruiz Picasso. Then if you have both surnames that are rather conventional, you use just your first name: RAUL González Blanco. Even more extreme is to use your first name, even being totally conventional, because for some reason you think it is better than your conventional surname: PEDRO Rodríguez (speaking of which, and in homage to their win last night, thank god Kepa is Kepa--but since Chelsea fans can all pronounce Azpilicueta, incredibly enough, maybe they should have trusted them with Arrizabalga!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 5:20 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Technically, if you are Spanish you don't have a maiden name, you have your name for life, though I understand what you are saying--in Canada you do end up having one. And having a second surname is confusing in Canada, since a Gutiérrez Zuñiga should be filed under G, as your first surname is determinant, but in Canada would get put under Z.

My mom often calls my wife by my (and her) last name, and my wife finds it funny.

Many artists and football players who have a conventional first surname use their mom's, even though the first surname is determinant: Pablo Ruiz Picasso. Then if you have both surnames that are rather conventional, you use just your first name: RAUL González Blanco. Even more extreme is to use your first name, even being totally conventional, because for some reason you think it is better than your conventional surname: PEDRO Rodríguez (speaking of which, and in homage to their win last night, thank god Kepa is Kepa--but since Chelsea fans can all pronounce Azpilicueta, incredibly enough, maybe they should have trusted them with Arrizabalga!)

As a Canadian of latino parents, I actually love that we carry both names. I hate the tradition of a woman dropping her name for her husbands. It just doesnt make sense to me, but of course its the same thing with our 2 surnames