Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I have only heard that on this board. Nowhere else.

Rollins has been mentioning it connected to an unnamed source on Twitter.  Rumour was a Belgian team was interested but Forge doesn't want to sell until January.  Whether there's any truth to it I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

By all accounts Borges is going to be sold to Europe at years end and will likely be with a new team in January - may rule him out.

Shit, this is so possibly true. 

This team will be a crapshoot in terms of guessing who will be on it. 

I doubt any Belgian team will pay a lot for this transfer. He has played in Holland and was not able to get signed by another team. I could see him getting a chance there again after his performance this year. Maybe Forge do not have him signed past this year.

Edited by Ruffian

8 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I doubt any Belgian team will pay a lot for this transfer. He has played in Holland and was not able to get signed by another team. I could see him getting a chance there again after his performance this year. Maybe Forge do not have him signed past this year.

From what I remember he turned down contracts from Belgium to come home

The chances of this team qualifying for the Olympics is probably worse than the full national team making it to the next World Cup, the preparation will suck just like every time these teams have tried to qualify for past Olympics,  key players who should be there won’t just like in the past. It will be a miracle if these U23’s qualify, been there done that !

Here's my 23:

FORWARDS (3):

Dario Zanatta (Hearts of Midlothian), Theo Bair (Vancouver Whitecaps), Terran Campbell (Pacific FC) 

MIDFIELDERS (9):

Jacob Shaffelburg (Toronto FC), Tristan Borges (Forge FC), Shamit Shome (Montréal Impact), Liam Fraser (Toronto), Clèment Bahiya (Montréal Impact), Tajon Buchanan (New England Revolution), 
Matthew Choinière (Montréal Impact), Noah Verhoeven (Pacific FC), Noble Okello (Toronto FC) 

DEFENDERS (8):

Scott Kennedy (SK A. Klagenfurt), Kamal Miller (Orlando City), Diego Gutierrez (Valour FC), Thomas Meilleur-Giguère (Ottawa Fury), Marcus Godinho (FSV Zwickau), Diyaeddine Abzi (York 9), Ndzemdzela Langwa, Chrisnovic N'sa (HFX Wanderers)

GOALKEEPERS (3):

James Pantemis (Montréal Impact), Dayne St. Clair (Forward Madison) Alessandro Busti (Unattached FC) 

NOTE: If available Liam Millar, Ballou Tabla would replace Terran Campbell, and Matthew Choinière. 

BEST XI  (4-3-3 or 4-5-1):

————————Zanatta————————
Shaffelburg———Borges———Buchanan 
—————Shome—————Fraser—————
Abzi———Miller——Kennedy——Gutierrez
————————Pantemis————————

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Here's my 23:

FORWARDS (3):

Dario Zanatta (Hearts of Midlothian), Theo Bair (Vancouver Whitecaps), Terran Campbell (Pacific FC) 

MIDFIELDERS (9):

Jacob Shaffelburg (Toronto FC), Tristan Borges (Forge FC), Shamit Shome (Montréal Impact), Liam Fraser (Toronto), Clèment Bahiya (Montréal Impact), Tajon Buchanan (New England Revolution), 
Matthew Choinière (Montréal Impact), Noah Verhoeven (Pacific FC), Noble Okello (Toronto FC) 

DEFENDERS (8):

Scott Kennedy (SK A. Klagenfurt), Kamal Miller (Orlando City), Diego Gutierrez (Valour FC), Thomas Meilleur-Giguère (Ottawa Fury), Marcus Godinho (FSV Zwickau), Diyaeddine Abzi (York 9), Ndzemdzela Langwa, Chrisnovic N'sa (HFX Wanderers)

GOALKEEPERS (3):

James Pantemis (Montréal Impact), Dayne St. Clair (Forward Madison) Alessandro Busti (Unattached FC) 

NOTE: If available Liam Millar, Ballou Tabla would replace Terran Campbell, and Matthew Choinière. 

BEST XI  (4-3-3 or 4-5-1):

————————Zanatta————————
Shaffelburg———Borges———Buchanan 
—————Shome—————Fraser—————
Abzi———Miller——Kennedy——Gutierrez
————————Pantemis————————

I like it, but you may want to consider a spot for Okello.

Nevermind, he is there. 

This is what happens when you post after just waking up.

Edited by Obinna

On 7/28/2019 at 2:39 PM, SoccMan said:

The chances of this team qualifying for the Olympics is probably worse than the full national team making it to the next World Cup, the preparation will suck just like every time these teams have tried to qualify for past Olympics,  key players who should be there won’t just like in the past. It will be a miracle if these U23’s qualify, been there done that !

Saying this team qualifying for the olympics has a worse chance than the senior team qualifying for the next world cup isn't saying much considering we're going to qualify for the next world cup. 

Anyhow, over confidence aside, I think sending a pseudo CPL all-star team to the qualifying tournament might be a good gauge on how well the CPL stacks up against the rest of the region. 

I'm not worried about how the CPL stacks up...lets qualify eh??  We have all sorts of good youngsters, lets start winning in the youth, start these kids off right.  We want to change the culture etc, lets start winning.  Should have called stars to the U-20, should call the best to U-23.  If this is in march, of course we should call Millar and Tabla, try for David and Davies as well.  Is the senior team got something scheduled at the same time??  

21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not worried about how the CPL stacks up...lets qualify eh??  We have all sorts of good youngsters, lets start winning in the youth, start these kids off right.  We want to change the culture etc, lets start winning.  Should have called stars to the U-20, should call the best to U-23.  If this is in march, of course we should call Millar and Tabla, try for David and Davies as well.  Is the senior team got something scheduled at the same time??  

If we win our Nations League group we have the semi-finals/finals in March.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

If we win our Nations League group we have the semi-finals/finals in March.

And if we don't win our group, we would still require a high profiled friendly to grt points to make the hex? 

Either way, David, Davies, Cornelius are senior team stalwarts - the rest can play U23. 

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

And if we don't win our group, we would still require a high profiled friendly to grt points to make the hex? 

Either way, David, Davies, Cornelius are senior team stalwarts - the rest can play U23. 

If we don't win our group, we should just play high profile friendlies to prepare for WCQ, not to make the hex.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

If we don't win our group we probably will be mathematically eliminated from the hex. I haven't run numbers on that, but we have a lot of ground to make up, so we probably can't make up the ground if we are losing games to the USA.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

Meh, he's been good on a great organized team when he plays. 

I think Abzi, and Gutierrez have been consistently better. 

I disagree. Abzi has been goodvyes, Gutierrez hasn’t been overly impressive for me. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Malyk Hamilton has been the most impressive u-23 canadian wing/fullback in the CPL for me. 

I don't think he's ready for the U-23 team. He's done well in the limited minutes he's received, but he benefits from a sound structure at Cavalry.

Not sure how it translates to the Olympic team considering he's fairly new to the position.

I would prefer Abzi or Langwa.

You will be surprised the exposure a men’s Canadian team would get if they made the Olympics. We all think the World Cup is it, but in Canada the Olympics are a big deal too and if a Men’s Canadian team made the Olympics it would make the Gold Cup tournament look like a house league tournament in terms of the attention a Canadian men’s soccer team playing in the Olympic soccer tournament would get in the mainstream media in Canada. Yes of course Canada’s men’s team making it to the World Cup would be huge in terms of media exposure and everything else, but don’t kid yourself people a Canadian men’s soccer team making the Olympic soccer tournament would be a close second to a Canadian men’s soccer team making the World Cup, that’s why I get so frustrated at the opportunities missed in all the past Olympic soccer qualifying tournaments where the preparation has always been a half assed approached!

7 hours ago, SoccMan said:

You will be surprised the exposure a men’s Canadian team would get if they made the Olympics. We all think the World Cup is it, but in Canada the Olympics are a big deal too and if a Men’s Canadian team made the Olympics it would make the Gold Cup tournament look like a house league tournament in terms of the attention a Canadian men’s soccer team playing in the Olympic soccer tournament would get in the mainstream media in Canada. Yes of course Canada’s men’s team making it to the World Cup would be huge in terms of media exposure and everything else, but don’t kid yourself people a Canadian men’s soccer team making the Olympic soccer tournament would be a close second to a Canadian men’s soccer team making the World Cup, that’s why I get so frustrated at the opportunities missed in all the past Olympic soccer qualifying tournaments where the preparation has always been a half assed approached!

No doubt.

I think it would be amplified by the fact we can theoretically send a squad that would not be too far off our actual senior team.

I remember Argentina’s 2008 team, Messi, Aguero, Lavezzi, Di Maria, Banega, Garay and then they added the three over age players in Riquelme, Zabaleta and Mascherano. That was something else.

Edited by Macksam

Well, we are probably not going to get our Euro stars, so we should not be thinking too much about our best possible team. It would be great if the later rounds of the qualifying tournament, whenever it is set, would be during an international break, and then we could possibly superload for the vital final matches. 

With the unusually long FIFA break of March 23-31 for friendly (earlier) and competitive national team (later) matches, this could be a big opportunity if the clubs cooperate. Perhaps if the rumours of the tourney happening in Mexico in late March are true, we could see some of them in the line-up. However, that would mean the other teams could bring in some ringers across the sea too. 

Guess we will have to wait to see the venue announcement before we could speculate too much.

Edited by beachesl