Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Shaffelburg----------Zanatta-----------Borges

----------------Shome----------------Verhoeven

------------------------------Fraser

Gutierrez---Cornelius---Miller---Gutierrez

-----------------------------Pantemis

I would go with Mathieu Choinière instead of Verhoeven, although both are very good choices, and Carducci as the keeper if he is young enough. Pantemis hasn’t been playing at all.

13 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

I would go with Mathieu Choinière instead of Verhoeven, although both are very good choices, and Carducci as the keeper if he is young enough. Pantemis hasn’t been playing at all.

Carducci is a '96, the tournament is for '97s and later.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Think of how good the team would be with Davies, David and Liam Millar.

I hope this tournament happens during the FIFA calendar, so that Liam and Tabla could be there. Davies, and David are important players for the senior squad so im okay with them not being there. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

@BrennanFan I think it's weird how you leave out Millar and Tabla, but include Cornelius. 

Considering Cornelius is in our top 3 CBs for the senior team(and actually plays), I think he will be there considering CNL/friendlies going on around the same time.

I included them because MLS teams have released players for Olympic qualifying in the past.  But youre right, if there is a conflict with senior games, Cornelius and Miller will probably stick with the senior team.

1 hour ago, zaltan said:

it would be very surprising to see players from Europe involved if they are with their own clubs first team such as Zanatta is right now.

Yeah, with the domestic depth now a days, there's less incentive to pull players away from first team opportunities in Europe.

2 hours ago, zaltan said:

it would be very surprising to see players from Europe involved if they are with their own clubs first team such as Zanatta is right now.

I'd also be more surprised if they didnt overlook zanatta in favour of Bair or someone playing (or not playing) in n.america. I feel he has been snubbed so far.

You and @Obinna might be correct though in the rationale being about opportunities for European based players. I might just be getting bent out of shape for the wrong reason!

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Call up our best players available. Period. Whether they're in Europe, North America, Africa... wherever. 

I do understand this is only possible if the tournament happens during a FIFA date. Which we can only hope for considering its an 8 team qualification. 

The thing is, you want the players in Europe to progress in their careers, so they reach their potential. If Dario Zanatta (for example) is on the cusp of finally nailing down a spot at Hearts, it's not wise to interrupt that. Obviously this won't apply to every European based player, but that's the right approach in such situations. 

We never had this luxury in past cycles, but with so many young players now proving themselves in CPL, players like Dario have less pressure to come play in these type of qualifiers. Now, if he really wants to, then that's his perogative, and great for the U23s, but there are players with similar quality to replace him right here in Canada.

Any true stand out player, like David or Davies will be on duty with the senior national team. That probably includes Miller and perhaps Tabla, but some players who have previous senior experience are expendable and can help the U23s. Godinho for example springs to mind. That's the type of European-based player we may see with the Olympic team, I think. 

For a tourney that will run at least 2 weeks, it won't fit under any FIFA window. 

If they hold it during the year end holidays or next June, then they'll get the Euro players. Since this won't happen, player releases will depend on each player's club situation. 

Edited by red card

So if true that qualifiers are in Jan/Feb, all the CPL players are firmly in off season. MLS players are gearing up for pre-season.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have a massive, extended domestic camp prior to this tournament. The central Americans have been doing this for years, why can't we?

Add the senior team domestic players and have them split off to play a friendly, you kill two birds with one stone by combining the groups. Travel cost should be low given it will be on this side of the pond.

For the final roster, sprinkle in some foreign based players and Voila - the team is ready to roll.

At least this is what I fantasize about. Pretty sad that as a fan such prep seems like a dream and something I cannot resonably expect to happen.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, Shway said:

Team will likely come from these group of players, however it doesnt factor in full senior players who are eligible (Godinho, Cornelius, Brault-Guillard, Millar, Miller, Davies, David, Tabla) 

GOALKEEPERS:
Dayne St. Clair, James Pantemis, Alessandro Busti 

DEFENDERS (14):
Clèment Bahiya, Diego Gutierrez, Kadin Chung, Chrisnovic N'sa, Ndzemdzela Langwa, Matthew Baldisimo, Julian Dunn-Johnson, Émile Legault, Rocco Romeo, Kosovar Sadiki, Daniel Kinumbe, Scott Kennedy, Callum Montgomery, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère 

MIDFIELDERS (11):
Shamit Shome, Mathieu Choinière, Liam Fraser, David Choinière, Tristan Borges, 
Nicolás Galvis, Terran Campbell, Noah Verhoeven, Noble Okello, Kris Twardek, David Norman Jr, 

FORWARDS (7): 
Tajon Buchanan, José Hernández, Theo Bair, Jacob Shaffelburg, Dario Zanatta, Gabriel Boakye, Adonijah Reid 

Picked my dream 23. Didn't happen for U20 qualifying, but lets just hopethat Canada is actually trying to qualify this time.

Goalkeepers(3): St. Clair, Pantemis, Busti

Defence(7): Cornelius, Miller, Brault-Guillard, Godinho, Kinumbe, Montgomery,  Chung

Midfielders (9): Millar, Tabla, Davies, Shome, Fraser, M. Choiniere, Bayiha, Borges, Okello

Forwards(4): David, Bair, Zanatta, Shaffelburg

Busti

ZBG-Miller-Cornelius-Kinumbe

Shome-Fraser-Millar

Tabla-David-Davis

This actually still leaves out guys like Campbell, Verhoeven, Buchanan, and several other deserving candidates. 

55 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Picked my dream 23. Didn't happen for U20 qualifying, but lets just hopethat Canada is actually trying to qualify this time.

Goalkeepers(3): St. Clair, Pantemis, Busti

Defence(7): Cornelius, Miller, Brault-Guillard, Godinho, Kinumbe, Montgomery,  Chung

Midfielders (9): Millar, Tabla, Davies, Shome, Fraser, M. Choiniere, Bayiha, Borges, Okello

Forwards(4): David, Bair, Zanatta, Shaffelburg

Busti

ZBG-Miller-Cornelius-Kinumbe

Shome-Fraser-Millar

Tabla-David-Davis

This actually still leaves out guys like Campbell, Verhoeven, Buchanan, and several other deserving candidates. 

Dreaammer, you know you are a dreamer 
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no! 
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer 

Assuming the big guns are either "Graduated" or simply not released, and assuming it's a 20-man roster like the last cycle, this is what I'm expecting to see

GK: St. Clair, Pantemis

Def: Chung, Abzi, Miller, N'Sa, Kennedy, Legault

MF: Tabla, Borges, M. Choiniere, D. Choiniere, Simmons, Fraser, Shome, Shaffelburg, Verhoeven

FW: Zanatta, Campbell, Bair

Unfortunately, GK is pretty weak since neither Dayne or James get any playing time. Busti is also an option but in similar boat. He'll also be mid-season and may not be released.

At defense, going with that CPL core. N'Sa, Chung and Abzi have been great for their teams. Legault is versatile. Kennedy deserves a look. Been solid in Austria. Miller seems a more likely bet than Cornelius, who Herdman may want with the senior team, but wouldn't be surprised to see both. Not sold on Bayiha or Kinumbe yet, but if they play more (Kinumbe is hurt for a while though) they could force their way in past a Kennedy or Legault.

At MF, a number of CPL young guns. Borges, Simmons, Verhoeven have all been great this season. D. Choniere been solid when called upon. M. Choiniere a big talent for Montreal and Shome and Fraser are shoo-ins. Shome is probably the captain for this team. Shaffelburg has beena  revelation and Tabla, at this moment is probably better off with the U23s.

At FW, we are kind of thin. David and Millar probably don't get called. Zanatta is a servicable option but at the moment Terran Campbell is the man up top. Theo Bair is also looking good too. There's also options like Lamy of HFX and Pena of Valour but they don't play much. Dark Horses are Tyler Attardo or Jordan Peruzza, who are very young still but have shown a lot of promise. Maybe even a Jayden Nelson.

I would have loved to see someone like Dom Yankov or Andreas Vaikla but neither have indicated an interest in playing for Canada at the moment.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Assuming the big guns are either "Graduated" or simply not released, and assuming it's a 20-man roster like the last cycle, this is what I'm expecting to see

GK: St. Clair, Pantemis

Def: Chung, Abzi, Miller, N'Sa, Kennedy, Legault

MF: Tabla, Borges, M. Choiniere, D. Choiniere, Simmons, Fraser, Shome, Shaffelburg, Verhoeven

FW: Zanatta, Campbell, Bair

Unfortunately, GK is pretty weak since neither Dayne or James get any playing time. Busti is also an option but in similar boat. He'll also be mid-season and may not be released.

At defense, going with that CPL core. N'Sa, Chung and Abzi have been great for their teams. Legault is versatile. Kennedy deserves a look. Been solid in Austria. Miller seems a more likely bet than Cornelius, who Herdman may want with the senior team, but wouldn't be surprised to see both. Not sold on Bayiha or Kinumbe yet, but if they play more (Kinumbe is hurt for a while though) they could force their way in past a Kennedy or Legault.

At MF, a number of CPL young guns. Borges, Simmons, Verhoeven have all been great this season. D. Choniere been solid when called upon. M. Choiniere a big talent for Montreal and Shome and Fraser are shoo-ins. Shome is probably the captain for this team. Shaffelburg has beena  revelation and Tabla, at this moment is probably better off with the U23s.

At FW, we are kind of thin. David and Millar probably don't get called. Zanatta is a servicable option but at the moment Terran Campbell is the man up top. Theo Bair is also looking good too. There's also options like Lamy of HFX and Pena of Valour but they don't play much. Dark Horses are Tyler Attardo or Jordan Peruzza, who are very young still but have shown a lot of promise. Maybe even a Jayden Nelson.

I would have loved to see someone like Dom Yankov or Andreas Vaikla but neither have indicated an interest in playing for Canada at the moment.

Make or break year for Zanatta at Hearts, if hes playing at all i doubt he will be let go/come.  

Would like to see Jordan Perruzza get a crack. He has 7 goals in USL One, tied for 2nd with Ricardo Pepi of FC Dallas who’s one of the hottest prospects in North America at the moment.

Bair was pretty disappointing in u20 qualifying and he hasn’t really sparked yet with the Caps.

Question marks around basically everyone at the #9 outside of David. Luckily midfield looks relatively solid.

Edited by FC_Hali

Ok this is my lineup.  I think that Busti will get released from his club for qualifying.

Shaffelburg----------Campbell-----------Borges

----------------Shome----------------Choiniere

-----------------------------Busti

Cornelius would wear the captains armband in this squad I think.

45 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Ok this is my lineup.  I think that Busti will get released from his club for qualifying.

Shaffelburg----------Campbell-----------Borges

----------------Shome----------------Choiniere

-----------------------------Busti

Cornelius would wear the captains armband in this squad I think.

Miller and Cornelius are both left-footed. They could both start, but Herdman (or whoever will guide this group) may desire balance and opt for a right-footed centre back.

I am guessing the 'Gutierrez brothers' together at each fullback position is kinds like your "wishlist" pick. It would be pretty sweet, though Diego has been playing midfield for Valour, I think.

I like the Shome and Fraser picks, though I see the former as an 8, not an advanced midfielder. Choiniere (matthew, I presume) is a good player, but I am not sure if that's his best position.

I don't know who would be the best 10. actually. Maybe Verhoven, or maybe Borges actually. I know he's played as a winger for Forge, but I can imagine him underneath the frontline like Pulisic for the USA.

Perhaps switching him and Choiniere would work better, because of the two, I think Borges would be more impactful, and the most impactful players need to get the most touches.

Scaffleburg needs that left wing spot, as long as he keeps his form and minutes up. Campbell as the CF is fine by me also!

Edited by Obinna