Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

• 2 weeks later...

Team will likely come from these group of players, however it doesnt factor in full senior players who are eligible (Godinho, Cornelius, Brault-Guillard, Millar, Miller, Davies, David, Tabla) 

GOALKEEPERS:
Dayne St. Clair, James Pantemis, Alessandro Busti

DEFENDERS (14):
Clèment Bahiya, Diego Gutierrez, Kadin Chung, Chrisnovic N'sa, Ndzemdzela Langwa, Matthew Baldisimo, Julian Dunn-Johnson, Émile Legault, Rocco Romeo, Kosovar Sadiki, Daniel Kinumbe, Scott Kennedy, Callum Montgomery, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère

MIDFIELDERS (11):
Shamit Shome, Mathieu Choinière, Liam Fraser, David Choinière, Tristan Borges, 
Nicolás Galvis, Terran Campbell, Noah Verhoeven, Noble Okello, Kris Twardek, David Norman Jr, 

FORWARDS (7): 
Tajon Buchanan, José Hernández, Theo Bair, Jacob Shaffelburg, Dario Zanatta, Gabriel Boakye, Adonijah Reid 

Edited by Shway

6 minutes ago, Reign said:

How does Elijah Adekugbe stack up against the other midfielders in his age group ? Kid is an absolute boss in the midfield in the CPL. Probably one of the best midfielders in the league for me at this point. 

Adekugbe is a 1996, so he won'T be compared to the players for the U23 team for the olympic qualifiers.

I really want to see Estevez make this squad. I really like that kid's quality on the ball.

Cyrus Rollocks has to be considered as well. Dude has crazy pace. Sometimes you need a guy who can get in behind and stretch the field.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Team will likely come from these group of players, however it doesnt factor in full senior players who are eligible (Godinho, Cornelius, Brault-Guillard, Millar, Miller, Davies, David, Tabla) 

GOALKEEPERS:
Dayne St. Clair, James Pantemis, Alessandro Busti

DEFENDERS (14):
Clèment Bahiya, Diego Gutierrez, Kadin Chung, Chrisnovic N'sa, Ndzemdzela Langwa, Matthew Baldisimo, Julian Dunn-Johnson, Émile Legault, Rocco Romeo, Kosovar Sadiki, Daniel Kinumbe, Scott Kennedy, Callum Montgomery, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère

MIDFIELDERS (11):
Shamit Shome, Mathieu Choinière, Liam Fraser, David Choinière, Tristan Borges, 
Nicolás Galvis, Terran Campbell, Noah Verhoeven, Noble Okello, Kris Twardek, David Norman Jr, 

FORWARDS (7): 
Tajon Buchanan, José Hernández, Theo Bair, Jacob Shaffelburg, Dario Zanatta, Gabriel Boakye, Adonijah Reid 

We can build a nice team from that list!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I really want to see Estevez make this squad. I really like that kid's quality on the ball.

Cyrus Rollocks has to be considered as well. Dude has crazy pace. Sometimes you need a guy who can get in behind and stretch the field.

Didn't Estevez already get called up (but not captied) by Chinese Taipei?  I think he was actually the first international callup for CanPL.

3 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Didn't Estevez already get called up (but not captied) by Chinese Taipei?  I think he was actually the first international callup for CanPL.

First I have heard of it.

Edited by Obinna

The CPL really will be a blessing for this team. It would be a shame if a significant chunk of the roster does not include them. What else can you ask for but guys like Chung, Verhoevan, N'sa, Langwa, etc. who are probably going to have played at least 20 to 25 full professional games and be on form when this tournament starts? Not to mention, Chung, Baldismo, Verhoevan and then Langwa and N'sa should ahve chemistry from playing the whole season. Sprinkle in some of the guys actually playing at MLS/higher levels and that is great. 

What would be incredibly disappointing is guys who are signed by TFC, but do not actually play going instead. Or maybe higher profile prospects who again do not necessarily play at a high level.

I agree that for the selection of the U23's, we should be looking at experience ie players who perform on the professional level over potentials. That said, we have so many options now, that I don't think we'll see a lot of CPL players in this team. Of course there will be a few, but we have players in MLS who'll undoubtedly be chosen over CPL-players. Or players with a couple years in USL. 

11 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

@Obinna

Yes, very shortly after signing.

Edit: https://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9s-emilio-estevez-called-up-to-chinese-taipei-national-team

Edited by BCM

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I’ve only seen three York 9 games but Estevez has stood out to me as a player way out of his depth.  He has a little technical quality sure, but it’s clear to me why even Chinese Taipei declined to cap him. 

A couple other guys not mentioned and maybe somewhat forgotten would be Alex Comsia (DF) starting regularly in USL with North Carolina, Mathieu Laurent (DF) starting regularly for Birmingham in USL.  And there's the slightly forgotten TFC trio of Aidan Daniels, Shaan Hundal and Robert Boskovic who are on loan at Ottawa Fury.  Although none of them seem to have been getting very regular minutes.

54 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

A couple other guys not mentioned and maybe somewhat forgotten would be Alex Comsia (DF) starting regularly in USL with North Carolina, Mathieu Laurent (DF) starting regularly for Birmingham in USL.  And there's the slightly forgotten TFC trio of Aidan Daniels, Shaan Hundal and Robert Boskovic who are on loan at Ottawa Fury.  Although none of them seem to have been getting very regular minutes.

Gotta remember NCAA grads tend to be older.  Comsia and Laurent are both '96s.

31 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Gotta remember NCAA grads tend to be older.  Comsia and Laurent are both '96s.

Yeah, hard to tell who's better, Comsia coming straight outta NCAA, or Meileur-Giguere already in his fourth season as a pro?

Aside from how the U20s performed, I love the overall development of the entire program. 

We're literally in a revolution where we are seeing the best teams from youth to men. 

The U23 team coming, should be our best team yet with majority of the players getting substantial minutes, and are not just starting their careers. 

Im excited for the now, and for the future where we become a CONCACAF powerhouse. 

15 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I hope CF - Charles-Andreas Brym makes the switch and plays for U23. 10 goals in 19 games for Lille B ! 

He has to switch to represent Canada?  But yes, hope he is on the U23s radar.

18 minutes ago, ray said:

He has to switch to represent Canada?  But yes, hope he is on the U23s radar.

Well right now he’s listed as France but has never played a game for them or called up.  So I don’t think he has to use a one time switch 

• 1 month later...

My current 23 man roster (obvious big names excluded):

F:

Zanatta

Bair

Shaffelburg

Bayiha

Campbell

M:

Borges

Shome

Verhoeven