Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am expecting Millar and Cornelius to remain with senior team, along with David and Davies, which is obvious. 

Even before we got ourselves into this FIFA points mess I never thought those two would be playing in qualifiers. That's like USA summoning Pulisic and McKennie to qualifiers. Just isn't going to happen.

This. Great comparisons!

(not to get ahead of ourselves)
However if we qualify for Tokyo, I believe those guys will be summoned to play at the Olympics. 

I don’t understand the argument for Millar to stay with the senior team ? He hasn’t started game with Sr. In a while. Also the way herdman has been setup the lineup it’s been Davies, David and Arfield or Davies, Cavallini, David or Davies Cavallini, Hoilett. Millar has been the odd man out. The U23 would better for him and Canada. He can start and be a Star on the team.

Miller I understand more being left off because of been short at LB and CB but I can also seeing him being with the U23 same with Cornelius. In my opinion both should be with the U23. We have CB veterans that can get the job done. Adekugbe, Morgan, Córdova, De Jong, Davies And even Kaye can take care of LB. 

Surely in this case and our situation who we pick for the olympic qualifiers is generally more about which clubs will release the players than who we want to call up.

Certainly if we have capable players that can step up excel or greatly benefit from the experience then we don't need to call up players that are better served staying at their clubs. The players themselves might also not want to come if they risk jeopardizing their position at their own clubs. 

I can also understand not asking some of those established full mens players if we had senior games in and around the same time. The senior side doesn't have games until past the summer. There aren't any clashes. At some point this same playing pool will be the full mens team and playing in the same squad anyway so this is just as valuable for building chemistry as it would blooding players.

I think the olympics is potentially huge for us if we qualify. It was huge for the women. It is a huge chance to draw in a large amount of casual viewers. 

It is all a balancing act but I think if we get to the olympics it will be of more benefit long term to our program than blooding a few youngsters for a couple of games and not qualifying. Might not be the case though. I can understand the argument for people like Davies and David staying at their clubs. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Surely in this case and our situation who we pick for the olympic qualifiers is generally more about which clubs will release the players than who we want to call up

Why? The tourney is during a FIFA break. If we request and players wants to play , teams have no choice. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Why? The tourney is during a FIFA break. If we request and players wants to play , teams have no choice. 

I think technically the teams always have control dont they? If they dont want to release a contracted player they dont have to. Fifa can't make them. 

Didnt realise it was during a fifa break either! That should certainly help as you say. I think the have final say though but could be very wrong lol!

My point which was badly worded was mainly in response to people arguing about players staying with the senior team. I mentioned clubs being the main hurdle because I dont see "player x or y" being in the senior team as being relevant to a U23 call up. Unless the senior team played during the same time. Then it makes sense. 

Also depends how highly the CSA and Herdman value reaching the Olympics. I probably likely think it's more beneficial to the program than most normal rational people!

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think technically the teams always have control dont they? If they dont want to release a contracted player they dont have to. Fifa can't make them. 

Didnt realise it was during a fifa break either! That should certainly help as you say. I think the have final say though but could be very wrong lol!

My point which was badly worded was mainly in response to people arguing about players staying with the senior team. I mentioned clubs being the main hurdle because I dont see "player x or y" being in the senior team as being relevant to a U23 call up. Unless the senior team played during the same time. Then it makes sense. 

Also depends how highly the CSA and Herdman value reaching the Olympics. I probably likely think it's more beneficial to the program than most normal rational people!

They don’t. If an nationals team calls and the player wants to go. The player is gone. That’s why it’s weird with MLS because MLS doesn’t stop playing during FIFA breaks, like most of the world. The issue right now is the U23 tourney and FIFA break are during the same time, so the Senior team will be playing and we need the points. So the question is who goes to the Sr. Or U23 team. 

FIFA rules the world they can make clubs do a lot of things hahaha! 

57 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Not the entire tournament. Teams actually have a choice. What happens if no players are there for the first match? 

That is a good point. I’m assuming once the 10 days are done they have to go back. If a club team wants them back. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

They don’t. If an nationals team calls and the player wants to go. The player is gone. That’s why it’s weird with MLS because MLS doesn’t stop playing during FIFA breaks, like most of the world. The issue right now is the U23 tourney and FIFA break are during the same time, so the Senior team will be playing and we need the points. So the question is who goes to the Sr. Or U23 team. 

Ta, Yeah makes sense. Hence the "mysterious injuries" some players sometimes pick up. I also had some sort of major brain fart and didnt realize the full mens team could play at the same time as the Olympic qualifiers. Thought the next chance was may for some reason. Biellos quotes made no sense to me. I'm a moron.

Does make for a hugely interesting set of choices for 2 squads. Being a proper fifa window we should have lots of choice at least. Depends entirely on who we pick to play. 

With Henry, Vitoria, James, Didic and maybe Zator, Waterman considered we could possibly have at least one of Cornelius or Miller in the u23. Despite being one of Herdmans consistent picks I'd have Cornelius in the u23 to be the leader there. Not least because we are weak at LB where Miller could also cover with adekugbe. 

Keep ZBG and Godinho in the U23s too with laryea and Cordova in the seniors. 

CM is easy, we have huge depth there so anyone one u23 should stay there. Likewise the wingers and forwards other than Phonzie and David.

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Do the same rules apply for youth competition as senior ones. Because Fifa said clubs could deny call ups for the rio olympics

I thought (but definitely could be wrong) that you have to release players for the international windows, regardless of what age group for the national team you are being called to. However, qualifying for youth World Cups and the Olympics are always done in tournaments that last longer than an international window, so clubs are under no obligation to release players for the duration of the tournament, so players that wouldn't be let go for the whole thing end up not going at all (typically).

On 1/13/2020 at 11:28 PM, toontownman said:

Does make for a hugely interesting set of choices for 2 squads. Being a proper fifa window we should have lots of choice at least. Depends entirely on who we pick to play....

After this camp, here's my thoughts on how the squads would look:

Olympic 20:

GK: Pantemis, Breza
DF: Godinho, Bassong, Abzi, Guillard, Mekideche, Cornelius, Kennedy, TMG, *Amuz, *Gutierrez 
MF: Fraser, Shome, Okello, Borges, Paton,  
FW: Millar, Brym, Bair, Nelson, Tabla

Bubble: Buchanan, Choiniere, Dunn, Campbell, Verhoeven

Men's 23:

GK: Borjan, Crépeau, Carducci 
DF: Henry, Vitoria, Laryea, Adekugbe, Didic, Miller, Cordova 
MF: Osorio, Arfield, Piette, Kaye, Eustaqiou, Teibert, Wootherspoon, Hutchinson*
FW: Davies, David, Hoilett, Larin, Cavallini, Akindele

Bubble: Ricketts, Chapman, Edwards, Zator, Waterman 

Pretty spot on for the U23's for me!

If Amuz and Guiterrez committed it would be tough to pick across the backline. Some fantastic choices. I think Abzi would likely lose out which would be harsh. I think Dunn is likely a lock given his past with the program but you could argue most of the other deserve the spot ahead of him.

Would add Zanatta to the list. We should bring 4. Ongaro would certainly add something different too. Dario has been playing quite a lot on the left wing too so maybe thats an interesting option. 

Hasal/Busti might also fill a third GK spot, always feel a 3rd keeper is a waste of a place in a small squad though.

Central midfield is a bit of a sleeper area. Paton has been getting great minutes and will hopefully get called. Fraser has been excellent for Canada and Shome is solid. Okello has always looked like a game changer and has been a game changer. If he can put it all together and be consistent this could be a break out tournament for him. 

Agree with these rosters as well.  I would be okay with Miller being called to the U23's as I feel he adds quality and experience needed.  We should be fine with Henry, Vitoria, James & Didic as CB's for a camp.  Also have Laryea & Cordova at RB & Morgan joining Adekugbe at LB for another camp.  Cordova can play LB as well.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:54 AM, Corazon said:

Agree with these rosters as well.  I would be okay with Miller being called to the U23's as I feel he adds quality and experience needed.  We should be fine with Henry, Vitoria, James & Didic as CB's for a camp.  Also have Laryea & Cordova at RB & Morgan joining Adekugbe at LB for another camp.  Cordova can play LB as well.

There's also another guy playing LB at a reasonably good level we could plug in back there if necessary 😁