Match Thread-May 8th-Forge FC vs Pacific FC

Not the start most of us expected from Forge, this is an important match, a loss here and there will be many questions starting to be asked! Bekker was much better in the 2nd match and will be missed, my 2 biggest concerns are finishing off the chances created and weak play by CB's, Haber could have much joy tonight!

21 minutes ago, gator said:

Not the start most of us expected from Forge, this is an important match, a loss here and there will be many questions starting to be asked! Bekker was much better in the 2nd match and will be missed, my 2 biggest concerns are finishing off the chances created and weak play by CB's, Haber could have much joy tonight!

Bekker will be missed by Forge supporters (and many teams in the #FanPL), but the suspension is justified. Forge's loss to Halifax gives me a lot of hope that Pacific can beat Hamilton.

Pacific will have McNaughton back tonight after his red-card suspension. I fully expect him to return to the lineup and McCurdy to return to the bench.

Hopefully Haber stops aiming for the posts and starts going for the net itself. So many missed missed chances in the last couple matches, and he needs to get his follow-through down if Pacific are going to be fighting at the top of the table this season.

Anyone know if Staro is back from injury? 

1 minute ago, davey_twelve said:

Staro is listed as questionable on the match preview.

I'm interested to see Pacific's tactical approach tonight. This is their first away game, they'll actually have some game tape on Forge and I think they've got some simple tweaks to make for a more fluid attack.

From watching both of Pacific's matches so far I would not change a lot, sooner or later Haber will find the net and Forge's defensive play has been questionable at times, there may be a bit of desperation in what we see from the Hamilton side!

It's going to be cool again this evening at THF, 7C and windy, I'll be layering up for this and Osorioing (wearing gloves) that $5 draught is cold on the hands! I don't think there has been a CPL match played in nice conditions yet, it is spring in Canada so you know to expect anything!

12 minutes ago, gator said:

It's going to be cool again this evening at THF, 7C and windy, I'll be layering up for this and Osorioing (wearing gloves) that $5 draught is cold on the hands! I don't think there has been a CPL match played in nice conditions yet, it is spring in Canada so you know to expect anything!

Your foresight is impressive.....gloveless in Halifax on Saturday and that cold beer chilled me to the bones.

I may also “Osorio it” tonight or at least be prepared.

I’m looking forward to tonight though.  It’s going to be interesting to see how Hamilton plays without its Captain.  I think a 1 game suspension is what he should have gotten for what it’s worth.

Ya I think the 2 games was a bit much, definitely sucks because he played much better against Halifax. I do think though with the travel and playing away the first time Pacific should be in tough and hopefully Forge get their first win of the season. I will be dressed for the weather and hope it isn't windy!!

1 hour ago, fil said:

Chonoire is the man of the match

The guy’s name is Choinière. Thought he played well, but somewhat conservatively most of the time. He’s quite capable of taking guys on and dribbling by them, but he didn’t try much of that tonight.

7 hours ago, masster said:

The Pacific FC inaugural match was glorious. (but maybe the west coast doesn't really count)

OK, lose the left coast paranoia😀, I watched that match, wasn't it extremely windy? It was cool and windy again at THF, the supporters section was quite full and there was great atmosphere, I look forward to better weather when everyone shows up!

I see in the Attendance thread that there were 5,861 at THF. Mildly disappointing at first, but mostly due to increasing expectations. If you told me a couple of years ago that we'd have a mid-week early May match with 5,861 in attendance I would have fallen off my chair. Even if I wasn't seated in one. So, pleased about the number.

A bit odd seeing so many empty seats (the upper deck) but after a while not off-putting. Thought the atmosphere was pretty good. Entertaining match from a Forge fan's perspective. I'm not sure who I would have picked as MOM but maybe Novak if only for his goal, spectacular. Being at the game gives a different perspective than watching on TV or an app: when the game was 2-0 we saw Borges taking off his warmup jacket and putting on his game shirt, then the third goal, then Borges putting back on his warmup jacket. Shows the intent to really go for the win with just a two goal lead. Nice to see Roberts pick up a shutout, now who to play in goal for Sunday?

Given the stadium size, the supporter's group easily made themselves heard on the other side (we're in section 104). Did BSB really have the chant "you f****d up" whenever a PFC player shot wide or made errant passes? Despite a PC stadium ban on profanity, it made me laugh.

Edited by RickC

I definitely heard the "you f****d up chant" lol, I definitely hope for some sellouts at 10,000 once the weather isn't shit, but who knows when that will be Sunday looks like it will be cold and rainy, one day it will be above 10 degrees at a game I hope. I do wonder however if the phone only tickets might cause an issue as really no walkup fans.

3 hours ago, RickC said:

I see in the Attendance thread that there were 5,861 at THF. Mildly disappointing at first, but mostly due to increasing expectations. If you told me a couple of years ago that we'd have a mid-week early May match with 5,861 in attendance I would have fallen off my chair. Even if I wasn't seated in one. So, pleased about the number.

A bit odd seeing so many empty seats (the upper deck) but after a while not off-putting. Thought the atmosphere was pretty good. Entertaining match from a Forge fan's perspective. I'm not sure who I would have picked as MOM but maybe Novak if only for his goal, spectacular. Being at the game gives a different perspective than watching on TV or an app: when the game was 2-0 we saw Borges taking off his warmup jacket and putting on his game shirt, then the third goal, then Borges putting back on his warmup jacket. Shows the intent to really go for the win with just a two goal lead. Nice to see Roberts pick up a shutout, now who to play in goal for Sunday?

Given the stadium size, the supporter's group easily made themselves heard on the other side (we're in section 104). Did BSB really have the chant "you f****d up" whenever a PFC player shot wide or made errant passes? Despite a PC stadium ban on profanity, it made me laugh.

2 hours ago, Hybred said:

I definitely heard the "you f****d up chant" lol, I definitely hope for some sellouts at 10,000 once the weather isn't ****, but who knows when that will be Sunday looks like it will be cold and rainy, one day it will be above 10 degrees at a game I hope. I do wonder however if the phone only tickets might cause an issue as really no walkup fans.

Maybe some people find it funny, but I have seats in section 113, and it is not great when I am sitting there with my 3 year old and he hears that all game long...

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Maybe some people find it funny, but I have seats in section 113, and it is not great when I am sitting there with my 3 year old and he hears that all game long...

Honestly, I can see where you’re coming from but why would you buy tickets near the supporters section? Of course there’s going to be crude language. 

3 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Because I thought it would be a fun, family-friendly atmosphere.

Again, not trying to be to critical here because I want everyone to have fun. But maybe it’s an important lesson for soccer matches in the future. Supporters sections are always the rowdiest and often times not the most family-friendly place to be. 

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Why are they not filling the seats on the TV-facing side first?

Optics wise this might be something to look at but I am sure as the weather heats up and the league continues the attendance and following will also increase. 

I feel the same about Calgary. That is great they sold all those expensive season tickets in the centre of the main stand but when it could be to rich fairweather fans that will turn up on a whim rather than every week the look is damaging, especially as its the main camera shot. It doesn't look good. 

The club, league and those that are there know different of course when they can see away from the camera is filled. It's probably not nearly as big a deal as it grates on me though. 

24 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It could be a lot worse....he could have been shooting up heroin under some dingy bridge. Enduring bad language is more preferable.

39 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I am surprised you decided to sit right next to supporters section with a child, if you have attended TFC games previously especially in the beginning it was much of the same. 

I do think you shoudn't have to endure it because this is a family game so hopefully they clean that part up, but I am pretty sure that chant was only said at 1 point in the game in the second half, at least I didn't hear it in 103.

57 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Because I thought it would be a fun, family-friendly atmosphere.

It is. But with the work fck included. 

My kid heard that all his childhood, and he speaks lovely in three language and uses maybe a tenth of the foul language of his dad. Let your kid teach you something.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist