Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

1000 Mins - U21 Players - 2019

18 hours ago, Kent said:

There is also no way the Canadian Championship games would count towards the number. In fact, I'm sure teams could even start fewer than 6 Canadians in CC games (I haven't checked to see if that has happened though). It's a league rule, and CC games aren't league games.

The Canadian Championship has its own set of rules for Canadian content.

"Canadian content is a focus of the competition and since 2017, regulations state that each team must field a minimum of three eligible Canadian Internationals as starters for each match."  https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-s15268

Also note that the Can Champ. definition of Canadian is different than CPL's rules for being Canadian. 

With MLS teams participating in the competition it's an open question as to how strict Canada Soccer may or may not want to make the definition.

3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

With MLS teams participating in the competition it's an open question as to how strict Canada Soccer may or may not want to make the definition.

No it isn't. Players have to be eligible to play for Canada to be considered Canadian.

TFC ran into this rule last year when Ayo Akinola was considered foreign despite being a Canadian citizen, because he's provisionally cap-tied to the U.S.

1 hour ago, RS said:

No it isn't. Players have to be eligible to play for Canada to be considered Canadian.

TFC ran into this rule last year when Ayo Akinola was considered foreign despite being a Canadian citizen, because he's provisionally cap-tied to the U.S.

I'm not saying MLS has a choice about it. They do not. I'm saying for the Canadian Championship, Canada Soccer (or perhaps FIFA?) makes both the definition of Canadian and how many must be on the team, or starting, etc.  They would make any adjustment to that definition knowing it will have an impact on TFC, Whitecaps, and Impact.

34 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

I'm not saying MLS has a choice about it. They do not. I'm saying for the Canadian Championship, Canada Soccer (or perhaps FIFA?) makes both the definition of Canadian and how many must be on the team, or starting, etc.  They would make any adjustment to that definition knowing it will have an impact on TFC, Whitecaps, and Impact.

And I’m saying you’re incorrect. The rule has always been 3 Canadian starters (as defined by FIFA rules) since the beginning of the tournament back in 2008.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

And I’m saying you’re incorrect. The rule has always been 3 Canadian starters (as defined by FIFA rules) since the beginning of the tournament back in 2008.

Okay. This last post is much clearer. I'll take your word for it that it is a FIFA rule.

59 minutes ago, RS said:

No, since 2017. 

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

Okay. This last post is much clearer. I'll take your word for it that it is a FIFA rule.

I didn’t say it was a FIFA rule. I said that the rule is 3 Canadian starters (as defined by FIFA rules). 

In in other words, if FIFA considers a player Canadian, so does Canada Soccer for the purposes of this tournament.

3 hours ago, RS said:

I didn’t say it was a FIFA rule. I said that the rule is 3 Canadian starters (as defined by FIFA rules). 

In in other words, if FIFA considers a player Canadian, so does Canada Soccer for the purposes of this tournament.

Right. That's how I was understanding it -- even though what I wrote was perhaps wrong.