Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

1000 Mins - U21 Players - 2019

Posted (edited)

I think it makes sense to have a separate thread for each team.

This is to keep track of mins played by U21 Canadians, who must play a combined total of 1,000 minutes for each team (presumably in CPL league matches) each season. That works out to an average of 35.72 mins per match.

For the 2019 season, players born in 1998 or later are considered to be U21.

Valour FC's U21 Canadians are:

Tyler Attardo (2001)

Raphaël Garcia (1999)

Glenn Muenkat (1999)

Federico Peña (1999)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/valour-fc/startseite/verein/67215

NOTE: If you come on after 80 mins and there are 3 mins of stoppage time, did you play 10 mins or 13 mins? I'm going to assume the former but it really should be the latter.

Edited by Lofty

No need for one for each team..not complicated not so many u21s playing and not so much to talk about

Think edmonton and calgary are at 0, pacific is almost there, halifax and york about 40%, forge 15%

I definitely agree that we could probably make this a single thread for all teams, or keep track in each teams season thread.

FC Edmonton- 0 minutes

Cavalry FC- 0 minutes

Pacific FC- Chung- 180, Baldisimo- 162, Legault- 90, Campbell- 128, N. Verhoeven- 180, Hernandez- 102, Al Ghamdi- 4, Z. Verhoven- 13... for a total of 859 minutes. Pacific will almost certainly clear the limit in three games. 

HFX Wanderers- N'Sa- 180, Langwa- 180, Firth 21, Skublak- 60... for a total of 441 minutes. Halifax is also in good shape, and despite the fact I have not liked their general lack of Canadians compared to the rest of the league, they have given two young Canadian defenders minutes. 

York 9 FC- Furlano- 83, Estevez- 90, Abzi- 49, Rollocks- 180... for a total of 402 minutes. York is also in great shape early. 

Forge FC- Borges- 121, Zajac- 19... Total of 140 minutes. 

Valour FC- Attardo- 26. Total 26.

League Rankings so far:

Pacific-859

HFX- 441

York- 402

Forge FC- 140

Valour- 26

Cavalry/Edmonton- 0

We can definitely see the different approaches. 1000 minutes total is really not a difficult number to reach, but I would certainly rather make a good start on it early. I don't know what the consequences would be for not meeting it, but you still do not want to get to a point where an injury one or two puts you in a position where you have to play a certain player. Cavalry and Edmonton both have only three eligible players, so hopefully next game they get started on getting thise minutes. 

Posted (edited)

May 8, 2019 vs. Cavalry (a)

Muenkat starts, off 66' (played 66')

(Taken from the clock on the video.)

Running Totals after 3 matches:

Attardo: 26

Garcia: 0

Peña: 0

Muenkat: 66

TOTAL: 92 (107)

Edited by Lofty

PFC definitely seems to have set a much higher bar then the average team. 

And I think it may be a bit too low actually. As even at only 92 minutes in three games, Valour can still make it relatively comfortably. 

92 X 9 (based on 92 minutes/3 games into 27 games) = 828. They would still have one game left to get the remaining minutes, and they really only need one or two full games from a u21 player and suddenly they would be well on the way. 

I mean Pacific is going all-out on kids; they're exceptional by any standard in that respect. This is a professional first division and we shouldn't get out-of-hand making it purely developmental. 

1,000 minutes might be a conservative boundary, but in the first year you should be conservative.

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, masster said:

Pacific FC is well past 1,000 minutes after only 3 games. Did they set the limit too low?

i don't think so. hernandez and legault aside, those guys had a combined 150~ professional appearances in usl under their belts. the rule was at least partly designed for the guys coming in from l1o and usports rather than them, so i see them as an exception.

i think only one other team is over 500 minutes at the moment while some are still well under 200.

Edited by matty

Updated Lague totals:

Pacific FC:

Chung: 540

Legault: 270

Baldisimo: 503

AlGhamdi: 10

Campbell: 421

Z. Verhoven: 29

Hojabrpour: 126

Hernandez: 256

Total: 2,155

Cavalry:

M. Hamilton: 19

Total: 19

Edmonton:

Velado-Tsegaye: 124

Doe: 78

Total: 202

Forge:

Cela: 13

Mohsen: 2

Borges: 449

Zajac: 124

Total: 588

Valour:

Garcia: 136

Muenkat: 176

Attardo: 27

Pena: 11

Total: 350

Halifax:

NSa: 360

Langwa: 540

Simmons: 360

Firth: 23

Skublak: 164

Total: 1447

15 hours ago, ktf said:

Updated Lague totals:

Pacific FC:

Chung: 540

Legault: 270

Baldisimo: 503

AlGhamdi: 10

Campbell: 421

Z. Verhoven: 29

Hojabrpour: 126

Hernandez: 256

Total: 2,155

Cavalry:

M. Hamilton: 19

Total: 19

Edmonton:

Velado-Tsegaye: 124

Doe: 78

Total: 202

Forge:

Cela: 13

Mohsen: 2

Borges: 449

Zajac: 124

Total: 588

Valour:

Garcia: 136

Muenkat: 176

Attardo: 27

Pena: 11

Total: 350

Halifax:

NSa: 360

Langwa: 540

Simmons: 360

Firth: 23

Skublak: 164

Total: 1447

Thanks for the info.

What about York?

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

Thanks for the info.

What about York?

Honestly, I think I did Valour instead of them accidentally, as I wasn't going to do Valour.

York:

Abzi: 244

Estevez: 240

Rollocks(: 204

Furlano: 173

Total:861

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So Cavalry really needs to start using their young guys.... interesting that the best team uses the least youth.

Ya they are way off, and do not have that many guys who qualify for it, but if they win the spring season they can afford to just run the young guys out in the fall season. 

Pacific and Halifax are done. York is soon to join. Forge is on a very comfortable pace. Valour also seems okay. Edmonton could pick up the pace, but they do have 4 guys who qualify for it, and a few games at the end of the spring season that won't mean much for them. 

9 hours ago, ktf said:

...and a few games at the end of the spring season that won't mean much for them. 

They might if the same team (probably the Cavalry as things stand at the moment) win both mini-seasons and the team with the second best record overall gets into the Championship game at the end.

39 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I thought it was 1000 each season ?

Haven't seen anything to suggest that. Do we know for sure Canadian Championship games don't count on the 1000 minutes thing? Calgary are in a lot better shape if those games also count.

Bitar 119

Loturi 81

Hamilton 199

Total 399

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-commissioner-serious-handcuffs-on-roster-rules-will-spur-canadian-player-development

...And young players won’t be left behind, either, as Clanachan outlined that each club must bring on three players 21 or under, and vet them with 1,000 combined minutes of play throughout the season...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I definitely assumed it was the fall and spring season combined. I think putting that pressure on for a ten game spring season would be unfair as the league starts. However, there is no official clarity on the point @Ozzie_the_parrot raised about the CC and these minutes. I would hope that it doesn't count, as some teams play more, which would actually allow them to play less u-21 players/game.

Yeah, I don't know anything more than anyone else, but there is no way it's 1000 minutes in Spring and another 1000 minutes in Fall. There is also no way the Canadian Championship games would count towards the number. In fact, I'm sure teams could even start fewer than 6 Canadians in CC games (I haven't checked to see if that has happened though). It's a league rule, and CC games aren't league games.