Lofty

Match Thread - May 11 2019 - Valour vs. HFX Wanderers

Bustos clearly MOTM for Valour. Honourable mentions to Musse, Sacramento and Janssens.

Rob Gale rang the changes and it was an impressive debut by Garcia. Got caught a couple of times but overall played very well.

Thomas's best game thus far, Murrell's worst. How we kept that clean sheet, I will never know. We need Mitter at the back. I hope he is not badly hurt.

Crucial interception by Ohin in the box preserved the win. Well done! Looked good in the few mins he was on.

Ferguson is not a natural striker. When the ball comes to a natural striker anywhere near the goal, his instinct is to selfishly get in a shot and grab the glory. Ferguson's instinct is to pass the buck. Still, very nice finish on the goal - his 2nd in 39 professional apps. Luckily there was no one available to pass to.

Our attack does not seem to play together very well. Lots of balls knocked around the perimeter and when someone makes a decisive run the pass does not come and when the pass is made, no one makes the run.

I want the refs to be good, I really do, but this whistle happy buffoon would not know a foul if it bit him in the arse.

33 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Bustos clearly MOTM for Valour. Honourable mentions to Musse, Sacramento and Janssens.

I want the refs to be good, I really do, but this whistle happy buffoon would not know a foul if it bit him in the arse.

Also thought Bustos was great, especially considering his short time with the team.

I preferred this ref to Wednesday's, and I think Valour, more than most CPL teams, benefits from a ref that calls the rulebook tight, due to their mostly small and technical group of midfielders. 

Although Valour dominated most of the play, I think HFX had the better scoring opportunities.  

Janssens was my MOTM.  Not only did he make some big saves, but also eliminated all the rebounds.  He's my starter for next match.

Valour once again looked vulnerable at the back and frankly were lucky to escape with 3 points.  

Just as important, another solid crowd.  The fans are loving it.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I think Valour, more than most CPL teams, benefits from a ref that calls the rulebook tight, due to their mostly small and technical group of midfielders.

I think Pacific's technical, young squad could benefit from a game called a bit tighter. Already there have been several turnovers from tackles that have come through the player that have already effected their season.

Enjoyable open game, just lacking quality in the box sometimes. Ironically one of the worst players on the pitch was the one to show it and be the difference maker. 

I have to stop man crushing on langwa but he had another great game and looks like a leader role Halifax. I like that they seem a very honest side. Shaale was a beast too. 

Hoyle up top and petrasso back with bustos,  carreiro and golubar will be tasty. Harsh also on Sacramento who has done well unless they go back to 4 at the back. 

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I have to stop man crushing on langwa but he had another great game and looks like a leader role Halifax.

He was the Halifax player I was most impressed with when they came to the island. By a long shot

This Spring season is really almost a pre-season as the players are beginning to show a growing understanding of each other and the systems and movements Gale's wanting to bring to the pitch with each passing match.  And of course not just Valour, all the teams.  Except Edmonton, because they aren't actually playing are they?

Watch the broadcast tomorrow but 1st Valourcentric impressions from the grandstand. 

Bustos?  Better than good signing, as everyone expected.  See where it goes from here but the sky may be the limit. 

Jannsens gets AT LEAST an honourable for MOTM.  To my mind at least.

Beland-Goyette & Sacramento are doing all, more and above what is being asked of them.  And a lot if being asked of BG especially considering the somewhat scramble shape of our back line these early days.  Drawing comfort knowing he's on the pitch.

Continuing improvement from Thomas.  Good match and they're getting better.  Want to say the same of Musse.  Timing and decision making is improving rapidly. 

How about Ferguson's goal?  Or the movement which help create it?  Wanderers solid two line defending, you have to penetrate.  They did.

Hope Mitter is back sooner rather than later.  A no flash center half seems to be an important drawing in the blueprint for this team.  Let's Skylar be Skylar and pushes Murrel outside where he belongs.  Still, he's two matches in and snake bit so far so...

Migrated from 104 for the corporates in 110 today.  Don't know how it presented on the broadcast but I have to say there where 5,000 and change out there today and every one of them wanted to be no place else.  Mark my words, it's going to get better from here. 

P.S.  No official is every going to feel any love at IGF.  Sometimes they bring it upon themselves.  Maybe sometimes they won't.  Don't care.  You're still going to get it.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Hoyle up top and petrasso back with bustos,  carreiro and golubar will be tasty. Harsh also on Sacramento who has done well unless they go back to 4 at the back. 

On current form, the only way Sacramento doesn't start is if he needs a rest. Has been much better than Carreiro and better than Golubar. Definitely in Valour's best eleven.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Also thought Bustos was great, especially considering his short time with the team.

I preferred this ref to Wednesday's, and I think Valour, more than most CPL teams, benefits from a ref that calls the rulebook tight, due to their mostly small and technical group of midfielders. 

There is a big difference between calling it tight and blowing your whistle every time someone is touched or falls over. Football is a contact sport.

8 minutes ago, Lofty said:

On current form, the only way Sacramento doesn't start is if he needs a rest. Has been much better than Carreiro and better than Golubar. Definitely in Valour's best eleven.

That's also with me forgetting Beland-Goyette who has been solid. Nice to have options. One more striker at the talent level of their field would bring slot of balance.  

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Just a follow up on Thomas.  He plays such a tidy no mistake brand of CB.  He’s not a big risk taker but he always made “the right play” it seemed like.

We’re kinda thin at CB.  He’s 6’3” so he’s that classic big strong CB that you’d like.    If he’s going to play every minute of the CPL season as a no nonsense CB isn’t that exactly what we would want playing besides Henry?

Thomas playing beside Henry on our national team? That’s actually not a bad idea.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Devastating is the feeling of this loss. Felt we deserved better and if we had a a striker playing up front they would have buried one of the chances.  Not to take anything away from Valour but..... just a bitter defeat

You did deserve better.   HFX had far more quality chances.  Outside of the goal, your Keeper was not even tested by Valour.  We were very lucky to come away with 3 pts (although that makes up for the match against Edmonton, were the roles were reverse).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Broadcast said Golubar "out with a serious knee injury."

Edit: Just watched Rob Gale's post match interview and he said Golubar has been sent for a scan and we won't know the extent of the injury until that comes back. Needless to say, I should have realized that the broadcast was jumping the gun in making that kind of statement.

Edited by Lofty