Lofty

Match Thread - May 11 2019 - Valour vs. HFX Wanderers

Still quite a bit of "available" blue on the East side, according to Ticketmaster, so not likely that additional sections will be opened. Will be the first good indication of what kind of numbers to expect for the season.

Posted (edited)

That'll be match #4 in 11 days for Valour.  Ripe for the picking under normal circumstances but we'll see.  Not exactly like Wanderers have been sunning themselves on the beach this early May.

Think it'll be what we (I anyway) expect a very typical turnout to be, that 5,000-6,000 range if the weather isn't a disaster.  Think that's a number HQ would be happy with as well.  Can see a few dates where the numbers are going to be grand, but Saturday isn' t one of them.      

Edited by Cheeta

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Cheeta said:

That'll be match #4 in 11 days for Valour.  Ripe for the picking under normal circumstances but we'll see.  Not exactly like Wanderers have been sunning themselves on the beach this early May.

Think it'll be what we (I anyway) expect a very typical turnout to be, that 5,000-6,000 range if the weather isn't a disaster.  Think that's a number HQ would be happy with as well.  Can see a few dates where the numbers are going to be grand, but Saturday isn' t one of them.

Yes. My rule of thumb (because I don't want to count dots): 44 sections in the lower bowl, 30 sections in the upper deck, combined capacity is 33,000+, gives us around 450 per section.

16 lower bowl sections initially open = 7,200 capacity.

Eyeballing it looks about 65% sold = 4,700. Looks like nice weather so we should end up close to 6,000 -- which would be great.

Edit: incidentally, using my ballparking method for the home opener: 24 sections open × 450 × 95% = 10,260.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

A few thoughts on the Valour starting lineup:

Apparently Golubar also has a knock and he has played a lot for a 34 year old so I don't expect him to start, while Petrasso's hamstring will surely keep him on the sidelines. Mitter looks to have played his way into the starting centre back position, between Murrell and Thomas. Arguiñarena and Gutierrez both surely start unless they need a break and Hoyle should be back at centre forward. I think we will see Marco Bustos make his debut, but likely as a second half sub -- the customary way of bedding in a new recruit. Personally, I would like to see Attardo and Hoyle play together, and when will we see Ohin and Peña for the first time?

Projected Valour lineup (3421):

---------------------------------------- Hoyle ---------------------------------

-------------- Musse ------------------------------- Carreiro ------------

Arguiñarena  Beland-Goyette  Sacramento  Gutierrez

------------ Murrell -------------- Mitter ---------- Thomas --------

-------------------------------------- Farago --------------------------------

(Although if Attardo started alongside Musse instead of Carreiro, it would make me happy.)

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Give Mitter a go a center half, especially if it moves Murrell outside. If they don't already, I think everyone is very quickly going to know what Mitter's capiblle of and how he'll play and that's important. Understanding and predicting your team mates mind is so important at both end of the lineup and I almost feel from the brief sampling we've had of Mitter that we already know what we'll be getting from him play in and play out.

Felt like Musse was a bit over excited by the occassion the other night.  If Hoyle's back in (and I think he will be) would be more inclined to give Attardo the start and let him pace himself up high off of Hoyle.  They work it right they could buy a little extra time and space for Musse as the immediate support, which just may be what he needs.

Have to see some real minutes from Bustos.  Off the bench I expect.  Up top or as the attacking support I don't know, but then I doubt Gale doesn't either at this point. 

Think the wingers will earn their pay tomorow.  At both ends of the pitch. 

All in all could be a good one.  Mother's Day weekend but the weather's looking more and more likely to co-operate by the hour so could be a solid crowd. 

Edited by Cheeta

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's stadium is way too big for Valour... wish they'd have a modular smaller venue for Valour...looks awful on TV...

You only needed to watch Ottawa Fury webstreams in previous seasons to know this would be a problem. Smaller modular venues like the one in Halifax are definitely the way to go, but at least they have fixed the issue of permanent CFL lines on artificial turf. Ivor Wynne (cue usual posts about Brian Timmis, yes I know they moved there later after the 87 season) and the old Blue Bombers stadium looked awful on TSN back in day when the CSL's game of week featured them.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Going to be a concern for all clubs given the roster size and no youth academy to draw from for everyone. Is there a system for emergency loans?

Bustos obviously a cut above. Cant wait to see petrasso, carreiro and bustos all on the pitch. 

Langwa and shaale again impressing. Only 2 more years until we can naturalize Haha. 

Ferguson has disappointed. They need another striker in the summer. 

Halifax will be the happier of the two teams so far. Pressure might be on valour if they cant get points here. They have been unlucky but mentally again not getting the job done will be menally frustrating.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Absolutely right about this so hilarious to see him score the opener.

Haha it's the anti commentator kiss of death.. 

Soo...about Ali musse, carreiro, Sacramento and bustos..

Edited by toontownman
Also...tidy finish and good movement from Ferguson.

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed the game, but hey, I am finding the whole league enjoyable. 

I also was thinking that Ferguson was limited, and slow, then he scored. Also thought that Sukunda was not very polished and lacking speed. 

OneSoccer commentator was Vanessa Martínez-Lagunas, I thought she was fine, though a bit dry, or you could say flat. I did not know who she was, she is coaching U Manitoba women's soccer. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)

Bustos is a nice addition. Faded along with the rest of the midfield after 65 minutes or so, but lots of skill and vision. While Musse did well and Ferguson had the goal, the team missed the kind of work Hoyle had done in the first two matches winning and keeping possession. Will be interesting to see what Thursday's lineup has to offer given all the injuries.

I'm not sure what Muenkat is supposed to bring the table because I haven't seen anything yet from him. The other player for Valour I'm not sure what to think of is Garcia. They seemed to be picking on his side for most of the second half, but he did well in his one-on-one work. I think that was a tactical choice to leave him a lot to do, and I'm not sure why Gale didn't do something different.

Can't complain though. Good win with another entirely different lineup and a decent crowd on a nice day. 

P.S. Tyson, I think the Belgian just stole your job.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also was thinking that Ferguson was limited, and slow, then he scored. Also thought that Sukunda was not very polished and lacking speed. 

OneSoccer commentator was Vanessa Martínez-Lagunas, I thought she was fine, though a bit dry, or you could say flat. I did not know who she was, she is coaching U Manitoba women's soccer. 

I liked her analysis but she clearly lacks polish as a broadcaster. Which is fine, as I suspect this is the first time she's been in such a role.

Edited by jonovision

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I liked her analysis but she clearly lacks polish as a broadcaster. Which is fine, as I suspect this is the first time she's been in such a role.

Exactly, if you get someone who is a women's coach in a program that is doing well, I give her credit and just expect her to grow into the role. As a team the play-by-play guy was solid and, in a way, "helped" her. She was overly homey, though, cared more for Valour than HFX; and being Mexican I was surprised she could not pronounce one of the Spanish names that most fun gives commentators here, Arguiñarena. 

I agree with above that Janssens was very good, coming from 4th tier Belgium really that is a low level but give him credit, he is just 21.

I only watched the first half but Bustos looked like the most dangerous player on the pitch to me.  It’s only 1 game but he was dangerous most of the time.  

It will be interesting to see him with Petrasso.

Also I noted that Skylar Thomas was really good at the back.  If he plays like that all season will he be in contention for a Gold Cup 40 man spot?

Just a follow up on Thomas.  He plays such a tidy no mistake brand of CB.  He’s not a big risk taker but he always made “the right play” it seemed like.

We’re kinda thin at CB.  He’s 6’3” so he’s that classic big strong CB that you’d like.    If he’s going to play every minute of the CPL season as a no nonsense CB isn’t that exactly what we would want playing besides Henry?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vanessa has to sound a bit more energetic and stop saying "um" so much.

Crowd was good, 5763 in attendance.