Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

FC Edmonton Season Thread 2019

3 hours ago, coach_86 said:

Anyone else frustrated with all the talk this team is doing with the lack of walk that comes with it?

In a match last night that a minimum 2-0 scoreline was required there was maybe 1 chance created up until the 66th minute. All the 'big time' attacking players on the pitch did nothing all game. Lack of passion and desire from the attacking 3-4 players. Soria and Marcelin had to cover ground for 3-4 players and were absolutely gassed by the end of the game. Randy, probably one of the highest paid players in the league was coasting from what I saw. It was funny as I heard the following comments in the stands by people in Edmonton who are respected in the soccer community:

"spends more time arguing with teammates and refs then he does trying to be productive"

"look he's fake defending" directed at the lack of effort and laziness shown while his team was pressing

"should have been subbed off at the half" when he was subbed off

"what a waste of a signing if this is what he's bringing to the table"

I'll be the first to say that I really thought this guy had the potential to be a star in the league but is doing nothing to show it.

Son was in front of my eyes told off by a supporter who was so frustrated at the consistent lack of a touch he's shown over the last few games that security had to step in to remove the fan.

Tomi for a captain is practically invisible on the pitch. I've heard more out of Powley, Ramon, Kareem to try and get their guys going. 

I also think that the coaching staff really needs to start looking at themselves in terms of player selection. I watch training sessions and the players on the bench or not dressed dominate the players that have been playing. They are young, eager, and have a point to prove. For me they will at least show passion and from every game I have seen it is these young guys that consistently provide the spark when they are brought on. So much talk has come from the staff about local product and their chemistry together but we have yet to see it. If we are going to lose the league anyways, I'd rather do it watching guys that care, and are playing the style that is being preached as opposed to so called professionals that seem to be going through motions to collect a paycheck.

Starting 11 next match should be 3-5-2 (James GK, Moses, Didic, Soria, Esua, Khabra, Marcelin, Allen Zebie, Bruno Zebie, Ongaro, Velado)

Yep. I am frustrated too. On paper it looks like a lot of good pieces, but on the pitch and based on results the whole is far less than the sum of it's parts. Unless some of those parts are not what we think/thought they are. Not sure if the orchestra conductor has them out of key or if some of the players can't follow the tune. One other gripe is the upbeat, overly optimistic Emails I keep getting from Jay Ball and the front office. I know you  have got to stay positive and sell the product but sometimes it seems they haven't checked the results or they are in a state of denial about them. But I/we have been through some of this before during Miller time. Gotta keep on keeping on, even if I gotta drink my own flavour of the true believer Kool Aid.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Lord Bob said:

It's amazing how Terry Jones has been writing the exact same column for eight years now.

I think the clutch has been slipping in his brain drivetrain for a while now. Easy enough to keep saying the same/similar **** about the Oilers and Esks over and over but if you have to put some thought into something new or different then it is a bit harder to climb the slope. Should just retire or shut up and let Derek van Diest write about our kind of football.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

How would those that follow Edmonton more closely rate this current team to Edmonton teams of the past?

Both are/were frustrating. Hard to compare NASL days with more budget and more internationals than now. Also too new to rate current version as I hope their **** will start to gel into something more productive. 

REB is probably the highest paid player on the team. Doesn't even look like he's more than an depth guy.  

Let's see this starting XI.

Starting 11 next match should be 3-5-2 (James GK, Moses, Didic, Soria, Esua, Khabra, Marcelin, Allen Zebie, Bruno Zebie, Ongaro, Velado)

Maybe the Eddies can bring back Lance Laing from San Antonio to jolt the offence like he did in the NASL days.

He provided speed, service to the guys up front, and goal scoring, something the current team desperately needs.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, yothat2 said:

REB is probably the highest paid player on the team. Doesn't even look like he's more than an depth guy...

Tennis-Borussia Berlin should have been a hint to FCE management that his recent form wasn't what got him his CMNT caps and that he may not be prime foundational player material at this stage of his career.

10 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Maybe the Eddies can bring back Lance Laing from San Antonio to jolt the offence like he did in the NASL days.

He provided speed, service to the guys up front, and goal scoring, something the current team desperately needs.

I think FCE should probably quit with the "bring back old NASL players". It doesn't seem to be working thus far

13 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I think FCE should probably quit with the "bring back old NASL players". It doesn't seem to be working thus far

Don't think its not working because of the few NASL players they brought back, but more so the coaching staff and the type of game they have the roster trying to play. Their front liners need service, something Laing has proven he can bring to the table.

Does anyone know how much REB is making?! Seems likes hes been on vacation away from the team for the last three weeks. 

6 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Does anyone know how much REB is making?! Seems likes hes been on vacation away from the team for the last three weeks. 

I dont think anyone knows what anyone is making.  

So I'm feeling like FC Edmonton have signed Eric Alexander.

Was just released by Cincinnati today and Paulus hinted on Twitter that they had signed a non-European (former) MLS player with 200+ games.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

This is wild, I thought he would be an amazing signing but figured if an MLS team hadn’t grabbed him he was retired.  Not old and was a Cameroon international.

Interesting move. He's only 30.

However he has been out of contract for essentially 1 year.

And infamously was part of the De Rosario trade!

SNIFF SNIFF???  Did anyone check the expiry date on this guy??  He wasnt all that great with Van 2 years ago.  Still, its a very high profile signing.  Edmonton needs something to get some fans out.