FC Edmonton Season Thread 2019

After year one Mo Johnston era teams for TFC tended to do well in April and May before falling off the face of the planet between June and August when the temperature levels made a possession oriented style a must. Things could start looking very different around six weeks from now for any team that struggles to string more than five passes together, because athleticism has been emphasized too much at the expense of technique. Not saying that applies to FCE necessarily. Time will tell, basically.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

After year one Mo Johnston era teams for TFC tended to do well in April and May before falling off the face of the planet between June and August when the temperature levels made a possession oriented style a must. Things could start looking very different around six weeks from now for any team that struggles to string more than five passes together, because athleticism has been emphasized too much at the expense of technique. Not saying that applies to FCE necessarily. Time will tell, basically.

Of course time will tell. But there's no shame in keeping things simple. 

Edmonton had an obvious case a first game nerves. It also doesn't help that Edmonton got their 2 scheduled preseason games cancelled by the league. After the first half Edmonton started keeping possession better and passing better. The players did look poor today but Edmonton's midfielders are probably some of the best passers in the league. The fact that Edmonton won this game playing badly away from home is impressive.

So here’s the real deal with FC Edmonton 2.0.

The total airfare is half. The number of hotel nights on the road is half.

The salary structure is half. The caliber is likely to be reduced a tad but probably not so much you’d notice. Yet the interest will likely to be substantially higher and attendance ought to increase.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton/jones-canadian-premier-league-easier-on-wallet-for-fc-edmonton-owners/wcm/47a41d28-c7d4-4ea9-9c74-c720f3e3f506?video_autoplay=true

• 2 weeks later...

Dis-appointing the Cardiff City friendly is vs Real Valladolid at the commie bowl, seemed strange though that the opposition wasn't announced at the time the match was if it was going to be FC Edmonton.

All for the best though, will be watching the Manny Pacquiao vs Kieth Thurman boxing match instead at the bar!

Edited by CDNFootballer

6 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

June 5, 2019  York 9 FC vs FC Edmonton game in Canadian Championship  
my game report at : http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york107.htm
with lineups, pictures, and post game press conference audio.  

Good write up Robin. Re the field width, do you happen to know the exact width at York Lions Stadium?

Anyone else frustrated with all the talk this team is doing with the lack of walk that comes with it?

In a match last night that a minimum 2-0 scoreline was required there was maybe 1 chance created up until the 66th minute. All the 'big time' attacking players on the pitch did nothing all game. Lack of passion and desire from the attacking 3-4 players. Soria and Marcelin had to cover ground for 3-4 players and were absolutely gassed by the end of the game. Randy, probably one of the highest paid players in the league was coasting from what I saw. It was funny as I heard the following comments in the stands by people in Edmonton who are respected in the soccer community:

"spends more time arguing with teammates and refs then he does trying to be productive"

"look he's fake defending" directed at the lack of effort and laziness shown while his team was pressing

"should have been subbed off at the half" when he was subbed off

"what a waste of a signing if this is what he's bringing to the table"

I'll be the first to say that I really thought this guy had the potential to be a star in the league but is doing nothing to show it.

Son was in front of my eyes told off by a supporter who was so frustrated at the consistent lack of a touch he's shown over the last few games that security had to step in to remove the fan.

Tomi for a captain is practically invisible on the pitch. I've heard more out of Powley, Ramon, Kareem to try and get their guys going. 

I also think that the coaching staff really needs to start looking at themselves in terms of player selection. I watch training sessions and the players on the bench or not dressed dominate the players that have been playing. They are young, eager, and have a point to prove. For me they will at least show passion and from every game I have seen it is these young guys that consistently provide the spark when they are brought on. So much talk has come from the staff about local product and their chemistry together but we have yet to see it. If we are going to lose the league anyways, I'd rather do it watching guys that care, and are playing the style that is being preached as opposed to so called professionals that seem to be going through motions to collect a paycheck.

Starting 11 next match should be 3-5-2 (James GK, Moses, Didic, Soria, Esua, Khabra, Marcelin, Allen Zebie, Bruno Zebie, Ongaro, Velado)

3 hours ago, coach_86 said:

Anyone else frustrated with all the talk this team is doing with the lack of walk that comes with it?

In a match last night that a minimum 2-0 scoreline was required there was maybe 1 chance created up until the 66th minute. All the 'big time' attacking players on the pitch did nothing all game. Lack of passion and desire from the attacking 3-4 players. Soria and Marcelin had to cover ground for 3-4 players and were absolutely gassed by the end of the game. Randy, probably one of the highest paid players in the league was coasting from what I saw. It was funny as I heard the following comments in the stands by people in Edmonton who are respected in the soccer community:

"spends more time arguing with teammates and refs then he does trying to be productive"

"look he's fake defending" directed at the lack of effort and laziness shown while his team was pressing

"should have been subbed off at the half" when he was subbed off

"what a waste of a signing if this is what he's bringing to the table"

I'll be the first to say that I really thought this guy had the potential to be a star in the league but is doing nothing to show it.

Son was in front of my eyes told off by a supporter who was so frustrated at the consistent lack of a touch he's shown over the last few games that security had to step in to remove the fan.

Tomi for a captain is practically invisible on the pitch. I've heard more out of Powley, Ramon, Kareem to try and get their guys going. 

I also think that the coaching staff really needs to start looking at themselves in terms of player selection. I watch training sessions and the players on the bench or not dressed dominate the players that have been playing. They are young, eager, and have a point to prove. For me they will at least show passion and from every game I have seen it is these young guys that consistently provide the spark when they are brought on. So much talk has come from the staff about local product and their chemistry together but we have yet to see it. If we are going to lose the league anyways, I'd rather do it watching guys that care, and are playing the style that is being preached as opposed to so called professionals that seem to be going through motions to collect a paycheck.

Starting 11 next match should be 3-5-2 (James GK, Moses, Didic, Soria, Esua, Khabra, Marcelin, Allen Zebie, Bruno Zebie, Ongaro, Velado)

Yep. I am frustrated too. On paper it looks like a lot of good pieces, but on the pitch and based on results the whole is far less than the sum of it's parts. Unless some of those parts are not what we think/thought they are. Not sure if the orchestra conductor has them out of key or if some of the players can't follow the tune. One other gripe is the upbeat, overly optimistic Emails I keep getting from Jay Ball and the front office. I know you  have got to stay positive and sell the product but sometimes it seems they haven't checked the results or they are in a state of denial about them. But I/we have been through some of this before during Miller time. Gotta keep on keeping on, even if I gotta drink my own flavour of the true believer Kool Aid.