Match Thread - May 4th - Valour FC vs FC Edmonton **CONCACAF League Qualifiers**

How Canadian. You get a point, you get a point, everyone gets a point. 

Spring Season

Pos.

P
Pts
Form
1 Edmonton 1 3

2 Cavalry 1 3
W
3 Valour 2 3
W
4 Pacific 2 3
WL
5 Wanderers 2 3
LW
6 York9 2 1
DL
7 Forge 2 1
DL

domination by valour but doesnt mean much when you allow a couple cheap goals and waste so many plays or dont find solutions in the final third..on edmonton side they did enough but didic was off at the back, temguia was better and bonsu was way off..touches too heavy, losing battles easily and missing breakaway..will be interesting to see if they can get a good number of points with this squad

1 hour ago, fil said:

How Canadian. You get a point, you get a point, everyone gets a point. 

Spring Season

Pos.

P
Pts
Form
1 Edmonton 1 3

2 Cavalry 1 3
W
3 Valour 2 3
W
4 Pacific 2 3
WL
5 Wanderers 2 3
LW
6 York9 2 1
DL
7 Forge 2 1
DL

Arrggghhh. I’ve been trying to avoid the Forge vs Halifax result all day so I could watch the replay, but you posting the standings has spoiled the result. 

Valour were definitely the better team on the day. They had some very nice combination play that was the best in the league I have seen so far.

I didn't understand Gale's substitutions. I know this was your second game in less than 72 hours, but removing Hoyle and Sacramento made no sense, especially when you are trailing by a goal in your home debut match!

It fascinates me how much Hoyle is all over the field, he's on both sides of the pitch and he was even at our own corner flag at one point (not because of a corner). I don't know if this is part of the game plan but I don't think it's good in the long term with all these matches coming up Gale is going to have to tinker with his tactics and subs. 

Already.  My not so quick 10. 

1st.  OneSoccer.  I don't know who made the decision NOT to mic the crowd but viewed a little different than my in-house experience.  Doug was saying things were quieter in his section than mine.  Fair enough but up north in 104 it was fairly lively, as it was either side of us (Supporters section one side driving things but some very good involvment, and initiative, to our left as well).

Also, if Mitch Peacock is doing match commentary he probably shouldn't be partnered with Sloane-Seale.  Two guys who know what they're watching but dry toast with more dry toast isn't exactly the tastiest feeding of football.  Here's hoping they grow into it as the season progresses.  Good luck, lads.  You're part of what this league is about. 

2nd.  The ref, Lauziere, needs to show better.  A LOT BETTER.  It's a tough match to call, players will figure it out as they go along so long as there's some consistancy.  So more consistancy, please.  Oh yeah, and keep the attitude for when you're ref'ing the amateurs. 

3rd.  Edmonton's back 4?  Very good yesterday.  If Soria wasn't MOTM then Temguia was, at least on the Edmonton side of the argument.  But job done everyone.  

4th.  Heavy legs out there for Valour.  REALLY began to show as the match got on.  I'm a-feard for Wednesday.

5th.  Speaking of heavy legs, Hoyle has to maybe economise a little on the running to save the legs for the quality when needed.  Not trying to cramp his style, just saying.  

6th.  Much better from Thomas and Murrell.  Much better.   

7th.  Only two matches in but am really liking the middle belt of Gutierez, Golubar, Beland-Goyette and Sacramento.  Attacking wingers and Golubar and Beland-Goyette hinge off each other very well.  Golubar really knows this game.  Excellent movement defending or attaching and some quality with the ball.  To my eye anyway.  And Sacramento is doing all he's being asked for plus change. 

8th.  Don't know who sits in the pocket behind, and in support of the strikers, but yesterday it shouldn't have been Carreiro.  Maybe in the future but not now.    

9th.  Michael Petresso deserves a raise.  "I'm not a striker I just play one on Valour FC."  Pretty convincing actor no? 

10th.  When's Musse going to be 100%?  Sooner rather than later I hope.  Teasing a little there Saturday. 

Edited by Cheeta

Soccer timekeeping is an art not science😎.    I do agree though that a lot of referees are very inconsistent when it comes to adding time, with all the adjustments that IFAB have been making to the laws it will probably be a matter of time before timekeeping comes under the microscope.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Sure, but that would be a fundamental change to the timing.

A visible clock that stops whenever an even occurs that is not part of the match does not have any effect on the length of the match.

I'm not sure I understand. Research has shown that the ball is in play during an average soccer match for about 60 minutes. Therefore, a 60 minute stopped time game would be much closer to what we have now than a what you are proposing.