Match Thread - May 4th - Cavalry FC vs York9 FC

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Aparicio and Di Chiara need to return asap.

I’m assuming Di Chiara did not play because of the hit he took from Bekker to his head? Is that why he didn’t play? Anyone know? If that is the case and hopefully I’m wrong , and DiChiara sits out because of a concussion then not good at all. Makes the non red card or any card on Bekker even more ridiculous, and the fact that the league did not review it during the week even worse. So DiChiara can’t play but Mr. Bekker played and goes unpunished. The reason I keep harping on this is because as a coach I had one of my players suffer an elbow to the head that kept this player out for the rest of the season and also more importantly kept him a great many  days away from his school classes. In this day and age any deliberate hits to the head need to go punished in any league or in any sport!

Edited by SoccMan

On 5/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, SoccMan said:

I’m assuming Di Chiara did not play because of the hit he took from Bekker to his head? Is that why he didn’t play? Anyone know? If that is the case and hopefully I’m wrong , and DiChiara sits out because of a concussion then not good at all. Makes the non red card or any card on Bekker even more ridiculous, and the fact that the league did not review it during the week even worse. So DiChiara can’t play but Mr. Bekker played and goes unpunished. The reason I keep harping on this is because as a coach I had one of my players suffer an elbow to the head that kept this player out for the rest of the season and also more importantly kept him a great many  days away from his school classes. In this day and age any deliberate hits to the head need to go punished in any league or in any sport!

There's been a lot of harsh/late/reckless challenges thus far that haven't even resulted in yellow cards in addition to the Bekker incident. It's worrisome if this is because of Clanachan's "Good ol' Canadian boys tough soccer!" comments being translated into a league-wide edict to let a lot of harsh challenges go. These teams are going to down to 9 players per game when they play in V-Cup matches against the MLS teams & Ottawa (unless of course this same style of officiating permeates into those games as well).

55 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There's been a lot of harsh/late/reckless challenges thus far that haven't even resulted in yellow cards in addition to the Bekker incident. It's worrisome if this is because of Clanachan's "Good ol' Canadian boys tough soccer!" comments being translated into a league-wide edict to let a lot of harsh challenges go. These teams are going to down to 9 players per game when they play in V-Cup matches against the MLS teams & Ottawa (unless of course this same style of officiating permeates into those games as well).

Not to mention when they play in Concacaf League!  There may not be anyone left on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

But what is worse, the play-by-play and colour people are praising this. We are going to lose our talent for huge stretches of the season, rosters will be stretched, the cost of squads will increase with emergency signings--and talent will be in the hospital while the tough guys roam the pitch. 

This is apparently what Clanachan has convinced everyone of, but the refs have a responsibility to FIFA rules, not CPL inventions. 

Do we even have a league reffing committee? And who is on the board to revise cards, mete out late justice and field appeals?

Your right about rosters being stretched. Injuries to a teams starting 11 are probably going to be crucial in how well a team does. I can see a team doing well early in the spring season but being hampered with injuries for the fall season. York 9 looked bad in the first half without a few starters.

And a team like Pacific FC doesn't even have a full squad so they can't even rotate their players for a rest and recovery.

And I really don't like that it seems Bekker got away with his "tough soccer" play. Not only because it could have caused a concussion but it was a stupid unnecessary foul.

The way that the team was set up to start the Calgary match had some faults in it. I think, even if Y9 had Aparicio, Di Chiara, Cox and Porter all playing, that it would have been difficult to overcome some of the tactical issues 1st half. Wanted to share my observations of the game, only because I would really like this team to succeed, both on and off the pitch, and because I hope we see things improve from the players week after week, both tactically and individually.

The 1st half consisted of what can only be described as a 5-2-3. I know the graphics said 3-4-3, and teams sometimes play that as a 3-4-2-1 or a 5-4-1, but the way Y9 played, this was a straight up 5-2-3, which obviously will never work.

The biggest issue in the 1st half was that there were only 2 men in midfield. The fullbacks were barely pushing up, whether in the buildup or in the Cavs' half. It was more a back 5 rather than a back 3. Conversely, the wingers in the front 3 were not falling back enough whatsoever, whether to help out in the buildup play, or to help much in defense in our half. The 2 mids were often fending for themselves when we tried to build out from the back, with one being a first-time pro, and one being a player played out of position.

This is why we had such a tough 1st half. Even if it was Aparicio and Di Chiara instead, the two would have been fending for themselves in the midfield build-up play due to the lack of support from the fullbacks and the wingers. The lack of a press from the front 3 was baffling as well, especially considering it worked so well with a front 2 vs Hamilton before. The static front 3 was so easy for Calgary to pass around, and the wingers did not fall back much once the ball went past them into our half. There were also the heavy touches, the rushed passes, the lack of support, and the excessive ball-holding from various Y9 players throughout the 1st half. I think once the coaches watch the game on replay, they will note who did what, and I hope they will work on those things in training throughout the next few weeks and months.

The 2nd half consisted of a 3-1-4-2, where Telfer was moved to LM where he belongs, changed to a front 2, which meant we had one extra player in midfield/defense to help with the build-up play, and introduced Murofushi, who was without a doubt the best player on the pitch for Y9 Saturday and the main reason why we were able to get some possession and offense going. You can look at the play where Rollocks had his big miss to see that it was created by a 1-2 initiated by Murofushi.

Imho, not only should he be starting on the pitch and playing the full 90 week in week out, but the team should be built around Murofushi and Aparicio, as it was vs Hamilton. Also, the strong play of Gasporotto and Springer makes me think that we don't have to stick to a back 5 or a back 3. I think, with the pacey and physical attackers we have, that a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 should be considered for future. If we insist on sticking to a back 3, then a 3-4-2-1 (which we should have played vs Calgary 1st half instead of the 3-4-3/5-2-3) or the 3-4-1-2 (which we played vs Hamilton) or the 3-1-4-2 (which we played vs Calgary 2nd half) might be the most stable way of going about it. And finally, the partial zonal marking on defending corners may have to be adjusted due to the two goals conceded on those.

Edited by ironcub14