Match Thread - May 4th - HFX Wanderers vs Forge FC

15 minutes ago, gator said:

Terrible defending then indecision by Henry!

Feel sorry for the keeper there. Hung out to dry and probably wasn't going to get there, so it's easy to second guess him no matter what he does. You get it drummed into you as a kid to head high balls like that away from danger, what was the centre half thinking nodding it down to the top of the box as if he was Halifax's target man?

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Feel sorry for the keeper there. Hung out to dry and probably wasn't going to get there, so it's easy to second guess him no matter what he does. You get it drummed into you as a kid to head high balls like that away from danger, what was the centre half thinking nodding it down to the top of the box as if he was Halifax's target man?

I don't think he was thinking, that was a brainless play. Forge don't need Mo Babouli so much as they need a David Edgar

2 hours ago, Zem said:

They have four Canadian starters (Langwa, Kourouma, N'sa and Ouattara, who has residency) and Bona and Schaale count as Canadian because they were drafted. They follow the same rules as everyone else; I'm not sure how you people follow this forum and don't understand how the roster rules work.

I never said I didnt understand. I said I don't like how non-Canadians are considered domestic. Just like the MLS does.

If you had asked me before the game if I'd be happy with a draw, I would have taken it, but to earn all three points is a nice surprise against a talented club like Forge.

Forge had control the first 10 minutes; however, the Wanderers settled down and I was impressed by Langwa in defence as he won many battles with Bekker and Welshman.  The latter did not have the impact I thought he would.  Bekker played well, but he seems to be a bit of a frustrating player at times from what I've seen so far.  Garcia with a nice finish and I think we deserved the 1-0 lead at half-time.

Second half and Forge has the jump and Bekker hits the bar and then after they score the equalizer, I feared a possible onslaught, but the boys dug in and pulled out the win.  Perea hadn't received much service up until the goal, but when it mattered, he converted at the right time.

Big props to the club for providing free scarves and hot chocolate to the fans on a very chilly day.  Also, props to the fifty or so supporters from Forge who made the trip.  It was a memorable experience and I heard some casuals who were unsure whether they were going to come back again now super excited to check out the cup match on the 22nd.  

Cheers,

Terry

Having watched it now... I haven;t watched the other two Saturday games yet, but it seemed like the sloppiest game so far. 

Much like I noticed when they played Pacific, I do not like how the roster rules allow Halifax to play few Canadians. They were set to be my second, but this really does put me against them. The Firth moment was nice. 

I did not like the time wasting at the end as well. Pacific and Valour certainly were not speeding things along when leading late, but they generally just tried to play the time out on the field. But, hey maybe? future Canadian nationals might as well get a taste for Concacaf.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, SpursFlu said:

Pbp announcer is really good

Gareth Hampshire. The old FC Edmonton announcer. I believe he has moved to Halifax. He is good.

I'm not sure who the woman was that was doing colour, but she was atrocious. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, Ivan said:

Early in the season but two players that have really impressed me through 1.25 games are Guiliano Frano and Zoom Langwa.

Langwa has been an eye opener for me. He is just so fast that he seems to recover against any winger. Tackles well too. Would need to see more from him going forward. Not sure if he has that in his game. 

53 minutes ago, masster said:

Langwa has been an eye opener for me. He is just so fast that he seems to recover against any winger. Tackles well too. Would need to see more from him going forward. Not sure if he has that in his game. 

A modern day Marvell Wynn?!