Match Thread - May 4th - HFX Wanderers vs Forge FC

6 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Early in the season but two players that have really impressed me through 1.25 games are Guiliano Frano and Zoom Langwa.

Right after you type that Frano forgets to defend a set piece and his man scores unmarked.  It’s like complimenting a pitcher in baseball and the next pitch is a home run. 

Hamilton looked good for the first 15 or so, but Halifax woke up and their high press is working. Forge can still get something here though... I just wonder how long HFX can keep up this level of pressure, it’s got to be draining. 

Wanderers were well prepared for Forge. Hamilton's play is subpar compared to last week but they could wake up like last time and dominate the last 30 minutes.

I want to see Perea and Gutierrez play together. Halifax has the tolls for a good team... a speedy time for sure.

Nice to see a grass pitch, and also like those stands that start high and stay high up, better for fans. I also think the acoustics are good, we heard a lot of drum for Pacific, here we can hear the chants clearer, not sure why. Overall, a nice image and as I say, nice to see real grass.

I think the reffing is good, bothers me that OneSoccer commentators might not understand it, and at times miss it.

47 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Surprised by the lack of actual Canadian players in Halifax's lineup. Seems very MLSy to consider multiple players as domestics.

45 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

How is it that Halifax has only 3 Canadian starters!  I know for some reason the league is letting them over the limit of import players but they’re also not playing Canadians.  WTF!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, it's not the thread for it but the  optics look poor. Shouldn't be talking about expansion if they can't get 7 teams at their self-imposed Canadian roster rules, or they need to drop the quota if they go to 10 teams.

They have four Canadian starters (Langwa, Kourouma, N'sa and Ouattara, who has residency) and Bona and Schaale count as Canadian because they were drafted. They follow the same rules as everyone else; I'm not sure how you people follow this forum and don't understand how the roster rules work.

Streaming the game, delightedly surprised about the grass pitch. Also, love the atmosphere of the stadium. Gives off a very homely mood.

On a side note, oh boy that was a bad miss by the keeper

28 minutes ago, Zem said:

They have four Canadian starters (Langwa, Kourouma, N'sa and Ouattara, who has residency) and Bona and Schaale count as Canadian because they were drafted. They follow the same rules as everyone else; I'm not sure how you people follow this forum and don't understand how the roster rules work.

Probably because they’re foreign players.  When they say 50% +1 Canadians it’s expected that it’s 50%+1 Canadians and not needing to remember made up U sports rules  and every player’s residency.  

Very disappointed with Forge through the first 2 matches, at times they pass the ball around nicely, there is no end product though, Wednesday’s match is huge for them if they don’t want to kill the early season buzz around the team! Good for Wanderers to win in front of a great crowd, kudos to the ref, I thought she had a good match!

Well that is two matches where you could say Forge got less than they deserved. They certainly look better than a point from two matches. 

Halifax has some tough pieces, and you can also see, experienced players. They put on Firth, who I understand is local and a teen, he got the ball caught up a few times in his feet, has to get used to the pace. 

Overall a well-fought match, and toughly played. Thought the ref was just where we'd want them to be, you can argue about details, but overall, that is right imo. 

Finally about the pitch. It looks nice but has some rough patches, judging by bounces. It is a bit slow too, oddly, but I don't mind that, unlike artificial where the ball just bounces and rolls like on a parking lot. Surely as the season progresses the field will be sorted out, as it looks like they put a lot of work into it. 

That colour combination, overall, deep blue vs. orange, very sharp on tv.