York9 - 2019 Season Thread

Just now, ironcub14 said:

Yeah, cuz SSHs still have to re-buy, TFC fans still have to come from all across the GTA, Wednesday night, etc etc. We'll see, but hey, here's to hoping that we get past the Eddies so that we get to see. We could definitely use a good cup run.

Yeah, I guess it’ll be a good ‘problem’ to have because it’ll mean that we’ve advanced past the Eddies! Fingers crossed. 

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Teller has been called back up by TFC and is on the bench for tonight's MLS match. He will return to York9 after the match

I wonder if we’ll see more of this during the Gold Cup.

I’d imagine that there’s a gentleman’s agreement that he won’t play due to York 9’s game tomorrow.

1 hour ago, danninho said:

I wonder if we’ll see more of this during the Gold Cup.

I’d imagine that there’s a gentleman’s agreement that he won’t play due to York 9’s game tomorrow.

York9 doesn't play again til Wednesday

Oh Oh.  I just fast forwarded through the TFC vs Sporting Kansas City game and who sent in the ball for Jordan Hamilton to get the tying goal but Ryan Telfer.  

So much for a full season loan.  

Anyone know if this is just for the player shortage during the Gold Cup or is it for the rest of the season?   

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

Oh Oh.  I just fast forwarded through the TFC vs Sporting Kansas City game and who sent in the ball for Jordan Hamilton to get the tying goal but Ryan Telfer.  

So much for a full season loan.  

Anyone know if this is just for the player shortage during the Gold Cup or is it for the rest of the season?   

He's supposed to be reloaned to York 9 after the game

4 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

So much for a full season loan....

If he's going straight back to York 9, it's still a full season loan. He's still a TFC player so it's only reasonable that TFC can use him when they need him. The pecking order between the two teams in terms of salary budget and fan interest is obvious to all, so I don't think this changes anything significant in that regard. Having the loan mentioned on TSN helps raise awareness that CanPL has a presence in the GTA and might prompt some people to check it out given it must be of a reasonable standard if TFC are willing to loan players there. That seems like a net positive to me.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

He is already "cup-tied" with York 9 assuming the rules for the competition are in line with what normally happens elsewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup-tied

Often a loan agreement contains the requirement that a loaned player can't be selected against his own club if they get drawn together in a cup game.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 6/7/2019 at 9:14 PM, Mikmacdo said:

Telfer should be with TFC, he probably didn’t want to move to Ottawa so he agreed to go to York where he went to university. 

Not sure what him going to university there has to do with anything ... the York 9 stadium is just down the road from TFC's facility at Downsview Park where all the TFC players are based.

Where is York 9 training based? Might be further away from where they play than TFC"s training facility!

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Not sure what him going to university there has to do with anything ... the York 9 stadium is just down the road from TFC's facility at Downsview Park where all the TFC players are based.

Where is York 9 training based? Might be further away from where they play than TFC"s training facility!

I think they practice at the University. Also his coach from York U is the asst coach on York9. 

17 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think they practice at the University. Also his coach from York U is the asst coach on York9. 

Being able to reconnect with your old coach has got to be the #1 reason. If there's that family angle as well, then that's got to be a close #2 reason. Makes sense Telfer would pick Y9 over Ottawa.