Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Just got an email from Valour about the re-scheduled match vs. Edmonton. While I am fundamentally opposed to the idea of free tickets, this type of thing warms my heart and is an excellent strategy to soften the blow for any fans that are miffed:

"As result of moving the match, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will distribute 2,500 tickets to the August 19th Valour FC match to deserving youth in our community. And you get to choose which charities or youth groups you’d like to see receive tickets. Click here to select a charity."

Posted (edited)

Looks as though WFC will benefit from the stadium rental, but will likely not participate in the profits since they are not the ones "putting on" the game. Would be interesting to know what the numbers are for WFC, but regardless, I support this move to bring in much needed additional revenue. If WFC goes down, Valour goes with them.

"The Oakland Raiders, in association with On Ice Entertainment Ltd., will host the Green Bay Packers at IG Field for a preseason Week 3 game on Aug. 22, 2019."

Ticket prices:

NFLPricingMap4.png

Edited by Lofty

9 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I have 3 tickets for the 22nd and was looking forward to taking my kids.  

I don't have my kids on the 19th, so they miss the match.  

Not happy.

I feel your pain. I have a group of relatives coming to town on the 21st and we were scheduled to go.

16 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I have 3 tickets for the 22nd and was looking forward to taking my kids.  

I don't have my kids on the 19th, so they miss the match.  

Not happy.

Well, look at it this way: it brings you closer to an authentic EPL fan experience. 😉

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

Just got an email from Valour about the re-scheduled match vs. Edmonton. While I am fundamentally opposed to the idea of free tickets, this type of thing warms my heart and is an excellent strategy to soften the blow for any fans that are miffed:

"As result of moving the match, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will distribute 2,500 tickets to the August 19th Valour FC match to deserving youth in our community. And you get to choose which charities or youth groups you’d like to see receive tickets. Click here to select a charity."

I like this as well.  My biggest issue with the move was that attendance would suffer for a Monday night game two days after a Saturday game.  This should soften that impact.

WTF is going on with Stephen Hoyle? Valour's marquee signing, apparently healthy, the one proven goalscorer in the squad who averages a goal every two matches, yet Galey sits him on the bench while Valour continue to struggle to score. Any ideas? Took a slash in Galey's cornflakes?

He (Hoyle) does seem to do a lot of very unproductive running, chasing after defenders who are miles away with no hope of putting on any pressure. And he has been surprisingly impotent in the air. But you can't argue with goals.

In an interview a few weeks back Galey did hint that he was not getting from Hoyle what he wanted tactically, but surely they have had time to iron that out.

10 minutes ago, Lofty said:

WTF is going on with Stephen Hoyle? Valour's marquee signing, apparently healthy, the one proven goalscorer in the squad who averages a goal every two matches, yet Galey sits him on the bench while Valour continue to struggle to score. Any ideas? Took a slash in Galey's cornflakes?

He (Hoyle) does seem to do a lot of very unproductive running, chasing after defenders who are miles away with no hope of putting on any pressure. And he has been surprisingly impotent in the air. But you can't argue with goals.

In an interview a few weeks back Galey did hint that he was not getting from Hoyle what he wanted tactically, but surely they have had time to iron that out.

He looked gassed pretty early on in the 2nd game of the season. I wonder if his fitness just isn't up to par.

52 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt he come right to camp from the end of the NZ season??   

Yes. But I think their season is 18 matches, plus a play-off match. Spread out over approx. 26 weeks.

And Hoyle started both of Valour's first two matches, on 1st and 4th May, and hasn't started since. That is over a month ago.

Well it shouldnt be his fitness, if he came straight from a season...Maybe Galey is managing his minutes?? A knock??  Its strange thats for sure.  Maybe the wild Wpg night life has sucked him in and we have a Jamie Peters situation going on.  Is the Palimino club still open?

Posted (edited)

It is hard work reposting things to where I should have posted them in the first place.

@Obinna said: Saw the highlights of the Valour game in the Voyageurs cup. Bustos looked pretty good as I expected he would. He put up big numbers with WC2 in the USL, I wouldn't be surprised if he proves to be one of the players of the season when it's all said and done!

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lofty said:

It is hard work reposting things to where I should have posted them in the first place.

@Obinna said: Saw the highlights of the Valour game in the Voyageurs cup. Bustos looked pretty good as I expected he would. He put up big numbers with WC2 in the USL, I wouldn't be surprised if he proves to be one of the players of the season when it's all said and done!

Petrasso in the box seat right now, IMHO, but quite a few others have impressed too: Arguiñarena, Sacramento, Gutierrez Zuñiga, Bustos. Perhaps also Musse; and Beland-Goyette has been excellent recently.

Edited by Lofty

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Petrasso in the box seat right now, IMHO, but quite a few others have impressed too: Arguiñarena, Sacramento, Gutierrez Zuñiga, Bustos. Perhaps also Musse; and Beland-Goyette has been excellent recently.

@Obinna said:

Agree with all of those. The one most surprising to me has been Sacramento. I don't think he's been the best, but I liked his energy when I saw him live against Cavalry.

Shout out to Musse also, he has impressed.

It looked like Petrasso was playing wingback in the last match? Was that right? Highlights can be deceiving so I had to ask.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

@Obinna said:

Agree with all of those. The one most surprising to me has been Sacramento. I don't think he's been the best, but I liked his energy when I saw him live against Cavalry.

Shout out to Musse also, he has impressed.

It looked like Petrasso was playing wingback in the last match? Was that right? Highlights can be deceiving so I had to ask.

I think that is right because I saw him in the Valour box far more often than I would like! The defensive side of his game really is weak; he seems to think that "tackle" is the stuff that accompanies your fishing rod and has nothing whatsoever to do with football. I like him better as a clear RM/RW, where he has fewer defensive duties.

Galey's midfielders do move around a lot so it is not always easy to specify a definitive position, other than "midfield"!

Re: Musse: I get the feeling he has huffed and puffed but does not really produce much offence. Although he did notch the winner against FCE and forced the Forge keeper into a good save in Valour's lone chance in that game, I need more from him to feel he is one of Valour's top performers.

Gales Valour reminds me of his 2015/2017 u20 teams.  Aside from the considerable overlap in players he seems to have almost too many similar players he’s trying to deploy at once.  He’s putting out so many attacking mids that he’s resigned the best player in the league to RB.  I don’t care how many attacking options you have, you can’t put the best player out of position and away from the play unless you’re absolutely running teams like Canada v USVI.  Valour has only  scored more than 1 goal once, I think. 

This team has enough talent but too many guys in the same sort of roles IMO.  Get yourself a target up top, proper fullbacks, depth in the back and a little more bite in midfield and I think they’re set.  Bustos and Petrasso can be the best attacking combo in the league, even better than Bekker and Borges.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Gales Valour reminds me of his 2015/2017 u20 teams.  Aside from the considerable overlap in players he seems to have almost too many similar players he’s trying to deploy at once.  He’s putting out so many attacking mids that he’s resigned the best player in the league to RB.  I don’t care how many attacking options you have, you can’t put the best player out of position and away from the play unless you’re absolutely running teams like Canada v USVI.  Valour has only  scored more than 1 goal once, I think. 

This team has enough talent but too many guys in the same sort of roles IMO.  Get yourself a target up top, proper fullbacks, depth in the back and a little more bite in midfield and I think they’re set.  Bustos and Petrasso can be the best attacking combo in the league, even better than Bekker and Borges.

RB is not the same as Wing Back. A wing back is an attacking player with defensive responsibilities. A RB is a defensive player with attacking responsibilities. There is a world of difference between the two.

I think there is a lot more difference between Valour's players than you realize, although I would like to see another defender and possibly a defensive mid added to the squad. When you have a small (in numbers) squad, you need some versatile players and players should expect to be deployed in more than one position.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Lofty said:

RB is not the same as Wing Back. A wing back is an attacking player with defensive responsibilities. A RB is a defensive player with attacking responsibilities. There is a world of difference between the two.

I think you’re confusing right back with fullback .. a player could play right back and have a role as a wingback as Petrasso has, or they could be a fullback.  With two centrebacks I would describe his role as a RB playing a wingback role.  In a 5 man backline you’re probably going to have pure wingbacks as you play with 3 centre backs like 2017 tfc.  In my mind RB is an actual position on the field and what you’re describing is a fullback v wingback.  I do agree that Petrasso was playing as a wingback and not a fullback ... but he was definitely at RB.

I.e.

WB———DM———WB

———-CB-CB-CB———

or

WB/FB——CB—CB——WB/FB

Valour played the latter.  Unfortunately every time Petrasso has played as a wingback it’s been at right back instead of a proper wingback position.

Edit: I realize the entire world doesn’t define roles the same, so you may have a different understanding... this is what I would call the “football manager” definition 😉.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think you’re confusing right back with fullback .. a player could play right back and have a role as a wingback as Petrasso has, or they could be a fullback.  With two centrebacks I would describe his role as a RB playing a wingback role.  In a 5 man backline you’re probably going to have pure wingbacks as you play with 3 centre backs like 2017 tfc.  In my mind RB is an actual position on the field and what you’re describing is a fullback v wingback.  I do agree that Petrasso was playing as a wingback and not a fullback ... but he was definitely at RB.

I.e.

WB———DM———WB

———-CB-CB-CB———

or

WB/FB——CB—CB——WB/FB

Valour played the latter.  Unfortunately every time Petrasso has played as a wingback it’s been at right back instead of a proper wingback position.

Edit: I realize the entire world doesn’t define roles the same, so you may have a different understanding... this is what I would call the “football manager” definition 😉.

I don't know about football manager, but I do know about football formations and a full back is the outside postion on the DEFENCE. It is the general term for right back or left back. When you say someone is playing RB or LB you are saying they are a DEFENDER. In the early days, the standard formation was 2-3-5: full backs, half backs, and forwards. The two full backs were #2 R and #3 L. The half backs were #4 right, #6 left, and #5 centre (centre half morphed into centre back as formations evolved to have more than two defenders). The forwards were #7 outside right (aka right wing), #8 inside right, #9 centre forward, #10 inside left, and #11 outside left.

My concern with your post was that it implied that Galey was using Petrasso as a defender, which was not the case (and seemingly not what you meant to say). A wing back is NOT a full back. A typical formation with wing backs is called 3-5-2 and the wing backs are included in the "5", since they are not out and out forwards and nor are they defenders. The three defenders are normally described as "centre backs" but in reality you can certainly use players on the outside who normally play full back (as Valour do with Arguiñarena on the left of a back 3). The wing back knows that when the other team's winger attacks, Plan A is for him to get back and defend his wing (if he gets caught up the pitch then the outside "centre back" must defend the wing -- which is why you can deploy players there who normally play full back). If football manager says differently, then it is wrong.

If you were not complaining that Galey was using Petrasso as a defender then what was your concern? Yes, Valour have a lot of attacking players and Petrasso has always been played as one of them. My concern in this area is more with Sacramento, who has a strong goalscoring record but has been deployed more as a ball winning and link up midfielder, which, perhaps unfortunately for him and Valour, he is also very good at.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I.e.

WB———DM———WB

———-CB-CB-CB———

or

WB/FB——CB—CB——WB/FB

No. Firstly, when you have 4 defenders, the outside two are full backs, not wing backs. If they played as wing backs that would leave you too short handed at the back.

Secondly, Galey has his players move around a lot so it is not necessarily easy to fit his formations into a tidy box, particularly when you watch the match through the lens of one camera. That said, in the match against HFX I would call Valour's formation 3421:

There were very clearly 3 at the back: Thomas (R), Murrell (C), Arguiñarena (L).

Petrasso was clearly RWB and Galvis LWB. Ferguson was clearly CF.

That leaves Beland-Goyette (L) and Sacramento (R) in central midfield, with Bustos (R) and Carriero (L) playing forward, just behind Ferguson. While the midfield was very fluid in terms of L/R, it was very clear that Petrasso and Galvis were playing wide, Bustos and Carriero were playing more forward, and Beland-Goyette and Sacramento were dropping deeper (but still free to get forward when the opportunity presented).

Edited by Lofty

In my mind arguinarena wasn’t playing as a CB but as a left back.   Looked to be a back 4 with Petrasso and him as the backs - Petrasso was playing as more of a wingback while arguinarena was more rigid, a full back. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

In my mind arguinarena wasn’t playing as a CB but as a left back.   Looked to be a back 4 with Petrasso and him as the backs - Petrasso was playing as more of a wingback while arguinarena was more rigid, a full back. 

If you watch a it again you will see it is a clear back 3: Arguiñarena, Murrell, Thomas. And that Petrasso and Galvis are playing further up and hugging the touchline, but coming back when needed - in other words, wing backs.

I'm sure you will agree it would not make sense to have a full back on one side and a wing back on the other. Either you are using wing backs or you aren't.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lofty said:

If you watch a it again you will see it is a clear back 3: Arguiñarena, Murrell, Thomas. And that Petrasso and Galvis are playing further up and hugging the touchline, but coming back when needed - in other words, wing backs.

I'm sure you will agree it would not make sense to have a full back on one side and a wing back on the other. Either you are using wing backs or you aren't.

No actually, it’s not the norm but it’s common to have your outside backs play different roles.  Wingback is a role.  I.e. when Canada played FG in the opener of the 2017 Gold Cup - Canada played a back 4 but Petrasso was playing as a wing back and playing tight to Hoilett in combinations, making runs into the box etc.  De Jong on the other side was playing as a fullback and wasn’t nearly as advanced on the other side when in possession.  Defending of course, as part of a 4 man backline they have similar responsibilities but it’s all about how they shape when in possession.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No actually, it’s not the norm but it’s common to have your outside backs play different roles.  Wingback is a role.  I.e. when Canada played FG in the opener of the 2017 Gold Cup - Canada played a back 4 but Petrasso was playing as a wing back and playing tight to Hoilett in combinations, making runs into the box etc.  De Jong on the other side was playing as a fullback and wasn’t nearly as advanced on the other side when in possession.  Defending of course, as part of a 4 man backline they have similar responsibilities but it’s all about how they shape when in possession.

Well, if you watch it again you will see Thomas and Arguiñarena playing the same role in the back three: Thomas on the right, Arguiñarena on the left. Ditto for Petrasso and Galvis as wing backs.