Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Missing Petrasso is a big deal, Bustos looks like a good acquisition, Thomas had a good match if you omit about a 5 minute stretch leading up to and including the goal, there's lots of good young Canadians in the lineup, it will get better!

9 minutes ago, gator said:

Missing Petrasso is a big deal, Bustos looks like a good acquisition, Thomas had a good match if you omit about a 5 minute stretch leading up to and including the goal, there's lots of good young Canadians in the lineup, it will get better!

And there's the rub!!

29 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Tough game. Muenkat was a bright spot on offence, other than that it wasn't pretty..

When I'm feeling less aggrieved I'm going to have to watch the broadcast because I thought the man was a complete waste.

That being said, bloody effing Hell.  8 of the 11 out there tonight were rubbish so it doesn't matter what 9,10 or 11 brings to the pitch if they're hopelessy surrounded by crack heads.  

And no disrespect to Forge but Valour were THAT BAD.   Unforced errors, how many wayward passes!, isolated movements, confused movements, was all just a shambles.  Or it felt that way from my section.  I know the lads are exhausted, it's showing, but GAWD DAMIT.

Only positive was I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd, mid 4K I'd guess, and increasingly involved with each passing match.  That's grand, even if they're heading for the exits with 10 minutes to play.

P.S.  Triston Henry is a twat.  Great for a laugh like many other clowns, he had the whole north side of the grandstand giggling there towards the end, but a twat all the same.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

When I'm feeling less aggrieved I'm going to have to watch the broadcast because I thought the man was a complete waste.

Muenkat #11 grew into the match and made a good contribution in the last half hour. He was indeed a complete waste in the first half.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

P.S.  Triston Henry is a twat.  Great for a laugh like many other clowns, he had the whole north side of the grandstand giggling there towards the end, but a twat all the same.   

In all my years of watching football, that is the first time I have ever seen a match stopped for a goalkeeper break dance. He had some nice moves!

Edit: One other thing. That ridiculous flopping about to waste time would not be effective if we had a:

VISIBLE CLOCK

Edited by Lofty

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Muenkat #11 grew into the match and made a good contribution in the last half hour.

In all my years of watching football, that is the first time I have ever seen a match stopped for a goalkeeper break dance. He had some nice moves!

I had a good chat with him in one of the meet the Forge events and he seemed such a quiet, shy guy, he had lots to say though about Canadian soccer vs US soccer, I never would have thought he'd be into all of these theatrics! 

2 hours ago, gator said:

I had a good chat with him in one of the meet the Forge events and he seemed such a quiet, shy guy, he had lots to say though about Canadian soccer vs US soccer, I never would have thought he'd be into all of these theatrics! 

He was an embarrassment to himself and to the sport. He looked like an utter fool.

We continually look vulnerable at the back.

I thought Musse and Hoyle both looked dangerous, but they were COMPLETELY ISOLATED in attack.  Musse did a great job of holding up the ball, but when he's all alone, what is the point.  

Here's a radical idea:  We are down a goal, let's have 2 strikers.  

Tough one to watch for sure. Seems like Gale is going out of his way to be a players coach. With Pena's inclusion last night that means every player has spent time on the pitch. Tough to build chemistry amoung the players when they never use the same lineup. Pretty much lost the CONCACAF League opportunity already. Good attendance and crowd, be nice to be able to give them more to cheer for. I hope its a case of 1 step Back for 2 forward.

I'm not so worried.  Gale doesnt even know what he has yet.  Better get every player out there and see what sticks.  Plus its too crowded a schedule to get hung up on one lineup, there is going to be big time rotation.  

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not so worried.  Gale doesnt even know what he has yet... 

He should, if he's doing his job properly. By the end of the long preseason that they had all of  the teams should have been almost fully up to speed. Agree with the second rationale you came up with though given its not just about the crowded schedule but the grueling travel compared to what happens in most countries. Some teams' answer on that will be to try to rotate a lot. In Europe, teams that play a European game on a Wednesday or Thursday evening often struggle compared to their usual form the following weekend in domestic competition. The air travel and timezone changes for a CanPL team are a lot worse than a couple of hours on a luxury bus on a motorway for a lower division English club.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Tough one to watch for sure. Seems like Gale is going out of his way to be a players coach. With Pena's inclusion last night that means every player has spent time on the pitch. Tough to build chemistry amoung the players when they never use the same lineup. Pretty much lost the CONCACAF League opportunity already. Good attendance and crowd, be nice to be able to give them more to cheer for. I hope its a case of 1 step Back for 2 forward.

I have held my tongue on this until now and for the reasons you mention, but Gale's team selection last night was downright Bizarre.

He has THREE centre forwards in his squad and instead he chooses to play Musse there, out of position. I wonder what those three centre forwards think about that. We looked a lot more threatening when Hoyle came on -- and then Musse, one of the players most likely to benefit from Hoyle's presence, goes off!! I mean, WTF!!?

Match after match, Murrell has under performed but Gale stubbornly refuses to drop him. Players need to know that their place in the team is not guaranteed. It motivates them.

Garcia played very well first half -- a fair bit better than Murrell IMHO -- yet he got subbed out at half time. A back three of Garcia, Thomas, and Arguiñarena would have been just fine.

Peña looked quite threatening when he came on. If we are doing squad rotation, why do we only see him for 15 mins immediately prior to a two week break?

To me, Gale's team selection has looked a lot more like a random tinkerman job than planned squad rotation, while he stubbornly sticks with his favourites. It never ends well for tinkerman managers.

Edited by Lofty

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not so worried.  Gale doesnt even know what he has yet.  Better get every player out there and see what sticks.  Plus its too crowded a schedule to get hung up on one lineup, there is going to be big time rotation.  

I think this has to be the philosophy for all the coaches, at Pacific it is similar: see what you have, let everyone get involved, build the depth a bit, and then start to press and push and define a starting core. Many teams are still rotating keepers even. I am all for it. At least for the Spring season.

When a team owner begins to say we are doing poorly at the gate because of results, the coaches will get the message and start to more clearly define their "best" team.

Anybody planning to go to the open practice in Portage la Prairie on Saturday?  I was planning to get a good bike ride in that day so if the weather holds up, I'll probably ride my bike out.

57 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Anybody planning to go to the open practice in Portage la Prairie on Saturday?  I was planning to get a good bike ride in that day so if the weather holds up, I'll probably ride my bike out.

Like bicycle? There and back?

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Like bicycle? There and back?

bicycle, but just one way.  It's 85 km and I usually try to ride 60-80 km on a Saturday, or ride 30-40 km and run 10 km.  The Valour Saturday games over the last couple of weeks have gotten in the way of my Saturday workout, so I'm looking forward to combining Valour and my workout 

2 minutes ago, MrsC said:

bicycle, but just one way.  It's 85 km and I usually try to ride 60-80 km on a Saturday, or ride 30-40 km and run 10 km.  The Valour Saturday games over the last couple of weeks have gotten in the way of my Saturday workout, so I'm looking forward to combining Valour and my workout 

Nice. I too try to fit in a long ride on the weekends at a few shorter ones during the week. I also have ridden to most events I've attended at the stadium and hopefully will do a few times this year, but it's not the nicest nor most intense riding.

Make sure to check the wind forecast! If you've never ridden out that way, Hwy 26 (through St Francis Xavier) adds about 10km compared to the #1 but is much less stressful.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Golubar out for season with torn ACL

Expected news, but still bad. Valour's midfield looks even smaller (stature-wise) now, and this is a problem in a league that permits a lot of physical play.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I've watched every game and I do not agree that he has been "easily one of their most impressive players". He lost the ball a fair bit more than I expected, was around 50/50 in winning tackles, and was more of a link up midfielder than a playmaker. Link up midfielders are much easier to replace than playmaking midfielders. Which is not to say that he was not solid -- he was -- but overall I'd give him a "B": not exactly my idea of "impressive".

Players who have been "impressive" are Sacramento and Arguiñarena (A), Petrasso (A-), and to some extent also Guitiérrez Zuñiga, Musse, and Bustos (B+).

So, overall, certainly a loss that weakens the team, but hardly a devastating one.

Edited by Lofty

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

I've watched every game and I do not agree that he has been "easily one of their most impressive players". He lost the ball a fair bit more than I expected, was around 50/50 in winning tackles, and was more of a link up midfielder than a playmaker. Link up midfielders are much easier to replace than playmaking midfielders. Which is not to say that he was not solid -- he was -- but overall I'd give him a "B": not exactly my idea of "impressive".

Players who have been "impressive" are Sacramento and Arguiñarena (A), Petrasso (A-), and to some extent also Guitiérrez Zuñiga, Musse, and Bustos (B+).

So, overall, certainly a loss that weakens the team, but hardly a devastating one.

I'd have Sacramento in the Bs, but still good. I really like what I've seen from Gutierrez.

With Golubar, there were flashes where it was clear he had more ability than anyone else on the park but wasn't always active enough to make a big impact on the game. Maybe not surprising when this seemed like his retirement gig from the Slovenian second division.

Has anybody else noticed that when you go to the Valour website and choose Schedule --> 2019 Club Schedule, the VCup matches do not show up?

There are a pair of related drop downs above and you have to change the top one to see the VCup matches. How many casual fans are going to miss that and think that the next home match is June 20th?

Could we please just have a listing of ALL matches, whatever competition, by default?

20 hours ago, Lofty said:

Has anybody else noticed that when you go to the Valour website and choose Schedule --> 2019 Club Schedule, the VCup matches do not show up?

There are a pair of related drop downs above and you have to change the top one to see the VCup matches. How many casual fans are going to miss that and think that the next home match is June 20th?

Could we please just have a listing of ALL matches, whatever competition, by default?

It must be that way for all CPL teams. The same happens on the Pacific site. Was very annoying.

Posted (edited)

Just got a notice from WYSA that my son's game on the 12th has been rescheduled. Lots of notice this time for the Valour Game. I hope you have better Luck with this one Winnipeg Fury.

Edited by johnyb