Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

11 minutes ago, TrenchGirl said:

Sacramento could come back while Ferguson is gone. That is what I'm reading from that news article. Either way, I hope DS comes back. He has what it takes to succeed. 

Dylan's last few performances for Valour in that attacking midfield role were excellent. I'm sure he would still have been in the starting eleven if he had not been injured.

I feel he got a bit of a raw deal from Gale this season. Most often played out of position but still did very well, then dropped. As soon as he got a few starts in his attacking role he was excellent. Why was he played out of position so much? And why did it take so long to start playing him in his best position?

6 minutes ago, TrenchGirl said:

Maybe another season will do him good. I really think that we should keep most of the squad around. I think they've just started to gel really well and have been playing better and more structurally sound over the last few games. Switching to a 4-3-3/3-4-3 awakened something. Now the boys know each other well and it would be a shame to get rid of that just to be better short term. I hope Gale is planning long term with these guys. 

Both Petrasso and Beland-Goyette were on a one year deal so it will be up to them where they play next season. I'm sure Valour will try to keep both if they can but I think that is unlikely to happen.

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Both Petrasso and Beland-Goyette were on a one year deal so it will be up to them where they play next season. I'm sure Valour will try to keep both if they can but I think that is unlikely to happen.

The question, really, is which would you rather keep? You can probably keep one, but not both.

41 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Beland is a cpl level player..too many bad passes and balls lost to play mls

From what I've seen of MLS he would fit right in then. 😂

More seriously, you forgot to mention the silly fouls. And while he did exhibit those weaknesses early on, they have largely been addressed and he has been rock solid for the latter half of the season. Much improved. And at one point recently a CPL article mentioned he was leading the league in tackles won.

Inside the CPL (Episode 19), the one piece of extra programming on OneSoccer that I find worth watching, features an "in depth" look at Valour which is surprisingly well done. Start watching at 13:35 for this feature. And if you freeze right there you will see @MrsC proudly leading a Trench scarf display.

They mentioned LBG's importance a number of times and I noted that in their best Valour eleven they included Attardo at centre forward and Janssens in goal.

Formation: 4-3-3.
Goal: Janssens;
Defence (R-L): Ohin, Thomas, Murrell, Arguiñarena;
Midfield: Beland-Goyette, Gutierrez, Carreiro;
Forward: Petrasso, Attardo, Bustos.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well the team did choose a lion named Vic (Victoria cross) for the mascot.  Both games my 4 year old asked why the mascot was a lion......

I love the mascot but should we now start calling the "Bombers" the "Buzz and Boomers"?

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

I love the mascot but should we now start calling the "Bombers" the "Buzz and Boomers"?

Or maybe we should call the bombers the "Birds".  

I suppose "Lions" is not completely crazy because of the lion on the Victoria Cross, but it just doesn't feel right, and I really hate the idea of OneSoccer analysts deciding the team nic name.  If we aren't using that, they shouldn't be

Sometimes teams have a nickname that is pretty much only used by the club, while the fans have one that the media tend to shy away from. In Scotland, Dundee United are the Terrors according to the club, but the Arabs according to the fans because of a game played on a heavily sanded pitch back in the 1960s. In England, Bristol Rovers are the Pirates according to the club, but the Gas according to the fans because their old ground was beside a gasworks and had a distinct odour to it. Hopefully Valour fans can come up with something truly organic and original like that.

Hoping we do not lose most of the squad.  With the exception of a few players, most are capable of performing at this level.  We could easily lose MP &  LBG.

It will be very interesting to see where most of our returning players end up over the winter.  Hopefully they will all catch on with professional clubs overseas, even if it's just on their reserve rosters.

4 hours ago, Sigma78 said:

Sacramento has signed with Hawke's Bay United in the New Zealand 1st tier

The article makes it sound like its a good way to get minutes in the off season, so maybe he is coming back???  Hoyle looked completely bagged trying to play back to back seasons, but Sacremento didn't play that much, maybe he'll do better.  

Lots of NWSL players go to Australia to play in the W league during the off season, mostly to keep fit, but also to supplement the income.  I've never noticed anyone seem too fatigued to play when they return, but sometimes the players that play year round seem a bit more injury prone.  Considering Sacremento is heading there injured, hopefully they take care not to over do it in New Zealand, as well as when he returns.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The article makes it sound like its a good way to get minutes in the off season, so maybe he is coming back???  Hoyle looked completely bagged trying to play back to back seasons, but Sacremento didn't play that much, maybe he'll do better.  

Maxsym Kowal, this year's L10 MVP with 14 goals in 14 games for Vaughan, has gone back and forth between Ontario and New Zealand for several years now.  Was rumoured to be signing somewhere in CanPL last winter, curious if anyone picks him this off-season.  

I'm pretty sure Valour players can't play for another team without Valour's permission.

Football players need a break, but not six months. Six weeks minimum. And we don't want our players coming back banged up or knackered from playing elsewhere.

Pre-season is around five weeks so if Valour require seven weeks of rest that means they must stop playing three months prior to the start of the CPL season, which we can call May 1st. So Feb-Apr should be allocated for rest/recovery and CPL pre-season.

If players can find a contract elsewhere for Nov-Jan, I say let them play (CCL commitments notwithstanding). Unfortunately that would sideline them for the business end of the NZ season. The whole situation that happened this season with Hoyle coming (very) late to pre-season training camp was completely unacceptable and we can see how it turned out.

If CPL players are allowed to play year round then CPL is a joke and will not survive.

Edited by Lofty

21 minutes ago, MrsC said:

It's official.  Valour cannot finish last in the Fall table or the combined table 😉

LOL.

That it's worth pointing out, as a matter of pride & accomplishment at that, sorta says everything that needs to be said without actuallly saying it doesn't it?  Go on, de-code that one.  I dare you!

I'll see your bottom feeder rescue post and raise you a "we can still finish .500 at home and in the Fall Season." post.

Your's truly.  

(And patiently waiting on Lofty to see, raise and call playing a "We can still finish level on goal difference!" post).

Cheeta.

P.S.  If he does, he's bluffing. 

6 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

(And patiently waiting on Lofty to see, raise and call playing a "We can still finish level on goal difference!" post).

Cheeta.

P.S.  If he does, he's bluffing. 

😂

If we sign Messi, maybe.

In the meantime, I'll stick to "We have a great chance to finish third in the Fall Season and a very decent chance to finish third in the Combined Seasons table".

We have come on strong in the last month and I am enjoying it. Win the last home match against York and I will be relatively happy whatever happens on the final day in Langford. But I'm definitely hoping for third.

Edited by Lofty

On 10/9/2019 at 7:27 AM, MrsC said:

Or maybe we should call the bombers the "Birds".  

I suppose "Lions" is not completely crazy because of the lion on the Victoria Cross, but it just doesn't feel right, and I really hate the idea of OneSoccer analysts deciding the team nic name.  If we aren't using that, they shouldn't be

Lions is cool and all, but I think we can do better in terms of nicknames. I was thinking something simple, like "The V" or maybe "The Troop"?

Edited by TrenchGirl

5 minutes ago, TrenchGirl said:

Lions is cool and all, but I think we can do better in terms of nicknames. I was thinking something simple, like "The V" or maybe "The Troop"?

Ahem, "V's" is taken! 😀  (You are on the V's message board!)

You don't like "Maroons"? It is the team's primary colour and has some history with Winnipeg sports teams...

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Ahem, "V's" is taken! 😀  (You are on the V's message board!)

You don't like "Maroons"? It is the team's primary colour and has some history with Winnipeg sports teams...

When I think of "Maroons", I think of hockey automatically. Besides, I think we can come up with something more unique than "Maroons" or "Reds". Hence why I'd like a name that's more army-related, like "Troops" or something.

4 hours ago, TrenchGirl said:

When I think of "Maroons", I think of hockey automatically. Besides, I think we can come up with something more unique than "Maroons" or "Reds". Hence why I'd like a name that's more army-related, like "Troops" or something.

Given the propensity for self destruction, how about the "friendly fire"?

I think Winnipeg teams have enough military influence in their names and branding that we can have a non-military nickname. Maroons is good. Lions is bad. I don't have any other suggestions myself.