Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

So Valour have signed another midfielder in Marco Bustos.

I know it is sometimes hard to find the players you need, but another attacking mid is not what Valour needed.

I suspect we are likely to be the team that concedes the most goals but we also might be the team that scores the most goals so it won't be boring!

33 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Moses Danto?  Isn't he from Winnipeg?

For all intents and purposes, yes.

But while I thoroughly approve of having hometown players in your team to cheer for, the idea can be taken too far.

And Valour needs another CENTRE BACK!

I'll say that again: CENTRE BACK!!

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think we see more guys in USL heading north after this season. Understandably, lots of them wanted to see what CPL looked like before making a move.

CPL makes more sense than USL at this rate

I wonder if part of the reason for the switch occurring later in the season was so that Bustos could collect a few paycheques from OKC before signing with Valour so that his personal season is a bit longer than the CPL season.  Think the same thing might have occurred with Didic and Edmonton.  Makes sense from a players perspective.

He wasn't starting regularly:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-bustos/leistungsdaten/spieler/294685/saison/2018/plus/1#USL

so looks like a parting of the ways by mutual consent sort of scenario. Also possible if certain rumoured big name signings aren't happening that the Valour are now in a position to offer him better terms than was the case a few months ago.

Either way he is a big pick up even if it is an already stacked midfield. 

He will be great foil for hoyle. Not just for rhyming purposes. 

The worry is when hoyle potentially gets injured. Can Ferguson step up. Bustos wont offer a physical presence up front. Calgary were on point with their pick ups upfront. Might well pay off.

I got to my first game on saturday against halifax.  The new stadium is impressive, any negatives from a smallish crowd in the big stadium were offset by the excellent set up.  Parking, concessions, seating, sound system etc etc.  no temporary bleachers and port-a potties.  It was loud enough my 4year old was covering his ears when we scored and MrsC and the RRR kept up the singing until the end.  A pretty good crowd for a day that had threats of rain.  If we can draw between 5-7g a game the owners should be pleased.  Ali Musse stood out for me along with Bustos (although i expected him to be a cut above).  Overall a good game, decent level of play and a great experience for my family.  

Did anyone else notice Bustos climb into the stands and take a bunch of pics with what I assumed were family members at games end??  Very nice to see.  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I got to my first game on saturday against halifax.  The new stadium is impressive, any negatives from a smallish crowd in the big stadium were offset by the excellent set up.  Parking, concessions, seating, sound system etc etc.  no temporary bleachers and port-a potties.  It was loud enough my 4year old was covering his ears when we scored and MrsC and the RRR kept up the singing until the end.  A pretty good crowd for a day that had threats of rain.  If we can draw between 5-7g a game the owners should be pleased.  Ali Musse stood out for me along with Bustos (although i expected him to be a cut above).  Overall a good game, decent level of play and a great experience for my family.  

Did anyone else notice Bustos climb into the stands and take a bunch of pics with what I assumed were family members at games end??  Very nice to see.  

That's one of the nice things with having WFC own Valour - they know how to put on a game day at IGF. They can handle 33000+ people at that facility. Even 10K would be a cake walk.

39 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

That's one of the nice things with having WFC own Valour - they know how to put on a game day at IGF. They can handle 33000+ people at that facility. Even 10K would be a cake walk.

I hope if they get another crowd close to 10k, like the opener, they adequately staff the concessions. The lines and the concourses at halftime of Valour-Edmonton were more congested than for a Bomber game when there are often nearly twice as many people in the lower bowl.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

I hope if they get another crowd close to 10k, like the opener, they adequately staff the concessions. The lines and the concourses at halftime of Valour-Edmonton were more congested than for a Bomber game when there are often nearly twice as many people in the lower bowl.

I missed the home opener but I think they will learn from it (I assume). Hopefully if Valour is in the hunt for the CPL Championship at year end we'll be getting some big crowds

Good News (for me especially, I had 3 kids with events)! WYSA has postponed all practices and games for Develpmental and Premier squads this Thursday so there will be no conflicts with the Valour game. 

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

Good News (for me especially, I had 3 kids with events)! WYSA has postponed all practices and games for Develpmental and Premier squads this Thursday so there will be no conflicts with the Valour game. 

@Winnipeg Fury does this mean your conflict is resolved too? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrsC said:

@Winnipeg Fury does this mean your conflict is resolved too? 

I had requested weeks ago to have my Rec league game that is scheduled tomorrow moved, as a number of us are season ticket holders.  I was denied.

I have e-mailed the bastards, to find out why our game is still scheduled.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

We've all been there, struggling for field time but I can't help but wonder why this is even a problem. 

And maybe it's not a problem.  Maybe most of Valour's fixtures don't conflict with youth amateur dates but somehow I doubt it.  This year anyway.  Maybe in 2010 and beyond off nights will be Valour nights.  We'll see.  But they should be.  

Nova Scotia have agreed to schedule around Wanderers' fixtures. Manitoba, when asked about doing the same for Valour, said that scheduling is hard. Maybe so, compared to, say, making a cuppa, but even so it ain't exactly splitting the atom. And why it should be harder in Manitoba than it is in Nova Scotia remains a mystery.

Maybe the late release of the CPL fixture list was an issue but if you love the sport then just suck it up and make the necessary changes.

Posted (edited)

Would be easy to avoid a fixed game time for the pro team, such as Saturday evenings are only for the Valour. Not so easy when that bounces around a lot, due to there being seven rather than eight teams.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

Nova Scotia have agreed to schedule around Wanderers' fixtures. Manitoba, when asked about doing the same for Valour, said that scheduling is hard. Maybe so, compared to, say, making a cuppa, but even so it ain't exactly splitting the atom. And why it should be harder in Manitoba than it is in Nova Scotia remains a mystery.

Maybe the late release of the CPL fixture list was an issue but if you love the sport then just suck it up and make the necessary changes.

I remember reading that They wouldn't be able to do it for Valour. Great to see they were able to pull it off for this one. At the very least it shows they will be trying moving forward. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, johnyb said:

I remember reading that They wouldn't be able to do it for Valour. Great to see they were able to pull it off for this one. At the very least it shows they will be trying moving forward. 

Well they have NOT pulled it off for all the rec teams/league.  I was told weeks ago that my club's conflict with Valour was "not an exceptional circumstance and no different than conflicting with a Bomber, Goldeye or any other professional sporting game."

I e-mailed WYSA today and have not received an answer.  My team kicks off in less than 3 hours.  

BASTARDS

WYSA just called.  They apologized and said they were afraid if I got it, there would be tons of other teams requesting it, and they would not be able to accommodate.  They have agreed to reschedule my club game on June 20, which conflicts with Valour.  Not much they can do about tonight.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

44 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Well they have NOT pulled it off for all the rec teams/league.  I was told weeks ago that my club's conflict with Valour was "not an exceptional circumstance and no different than conflicting with a Bomber, Goldeye or any other professional sporting game."

I e-mailed WYSA today and have not received an answer.  My team kicks off in less than 3 hours.  

BASTARDS

WYSA just called.  They apologized and said they were afraid if I got it, there would be tons of other teams requesting it, and they would not be able to accommodate.  They have agreed to reschedule my club game on June 20, which conflicts with Valour.  Not much they can do about tonight.

In other words, a bunch more people would be at the Valour game. That would be TERRIBLE!

Valour could be in for a long season. Shaky at the back and struggling to create good scoring chances up front. Set pieces are an absolute joke. Team selection is eccentric to say the least, with Gale stubbornly continuing to pick players who continue to under perform. A few flashes cannot hide all the obvious flaws. Batten down the hatches Valour fans!