Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Valour 2019 Report Card - Keepers

Janssens - B-

Farago - C

Not much between the two of them. Obviously neither performed as well as a defensively poor team like Valour needed to have any sort of success. Both are decent shot stoppers, though Farago had more notable gaffes on that end. The team's defensive set pieces woes also have to be laid to some extent at the feet of the keepers. Janssens showed improvement in his ability to handle crosses, which was a major defect of his in the early season (open play and dead balls). Janssens' age and his penalty-saving prowess are the only reasons I have him ahead of Farago. Neither is good enough to be a top starter in CPL, but Janssens looks the likelier to get to that point.

Valour 2019 Report Card - Defenders

For a team this leaky defensively, there was a no way I could give better than a C average to the group.

Arguinarena - B 

I wonder if the eye test deceives with Arguinarena. He had some apparent class and did well in one-on-one situations, but at times appeared completely baffled about where he should be on the pitch.

Garcia - B

Full of effort and decent getting forward and one-on-one. Not as effective when deployed on the left. One to keep and develop, for sure.

Ohin - C

Obvious physical gifts and more defensive sense than I had any right to expect from him, but also erratic and prone to fouls and cards. 

Thomas - C

Did not live up to the advance billing, but of the 'veteran' CBs the most competent. Low bar and all that. Had the occasional shutdown performances but too many off days.

Mitter - D

One of the oldest-seeming 26 year olds I've seen, both in his total lack of pace and his habit of chewing out teammates. Not physically talented enough to keep up with many CPL attackers. Many of the left-side of the pitch mix-ups involved Mitter and Arguinarena and I think they share the positional blame for some of these.

Le Bourhis - C- 

Some strong matches, especially when paired with Thomas, but caught napping often later in the season. Good in the air on attacking corners, but got lost like most of the team on defensive set piece assignments.

Murrell - D

What else is there to say? He sucked. I feel a bit badly saying that as he was played out of position much of the year, but had the resume where one would expect he'd be able to adjust. I'm also curious about which factors went into him being selected as captain.

Edited by jonovision

Valour 2019 Report Card - Midfielders

A fair bit of subjectivity is involved in deciding who is a midfielder and who is an attacker (and to a lesser extent a defender) so to keep things simple I'll use the same designations at @Lofty did in his ratings.

Beland-Goyette - A

The closest thing had to a consistent performer from about June onward. My favourite thing about his game is that he seemed to develop offensively over the course of the season without sacrificing much of his defensive game.

Sacramento - C 

It was hard for me to get a good read on his game as he was used in a lot of different positions over the course of the season. As an attacking midfielder he has the ability to be direct. Weak defensively. Good luck in New Zealand.-

Gutierrez - B+ 

I liked his game when played in midfield. Didn't care for him as a right back. Whether due to injuries, other roster issues, or general Gale-y-ness, he played too much of the latter and not enough of the former role.

Galán - C

I was excited about what he could bring to the team after watching his first few performances, but he didn't really show much more than that after settling into the team. When played alongside LBG, probably allowed the latter to do more offensively.

Carreiro - C+

I thought Dylan was one of the team's best players in the late season (except for the latter two matches which I did not watch). On the other hand, he was very disappointing early on, and had trouble staying in the lineup.

Galvis - D

I agree with @Lofty that he is not good enough for CPL.

Peña - C

I'm not sure where he'll end up on the pitch if he continues as a professional, but I liked him best in a defensive role. Gave up the ball too easily when attacking.

Golubar - B+ 

Obviously wasn't in the lineup for long but looked a step above most of his teammates on the ball, even if his fitness and athleticism reflected his advanced footballing age. Interested to see if he'll return in 2020.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Does anybody know anything about this Canadian Gavin Hoy they have on the roster? Soccerway has him as a 27 year old from Thunder Bay with no professional experience prior to NZ.

He graduated from Oakland in 2016, spent a year in Australia and has been playing in NZ ever since, not much else to it. He could definitely be of interest to some CPL clubs though.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

He graduated from Oakland in 2016, spent a year in Australia and has been playing in NZ ever since, not much else to it. He could definitely be of interest to some CPL clubs though.

Had a moment to do a bit more googling and, perhaps unsurprisingly, he had some time with Thunder Bay Chill in the early-mid 2010s.

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Do we think NZ is CPL level? Hoyle was a bit of a star out there but not good enough for CPL. It remains to be seen how Sacramento and Ferguson do.

I'm thinking CPL is to NZ as EFL Championship is to League One. Mostly stony ground.

No, not at all; but Hoy is Canadian, so he doesn't necessarily need to be an important starter in the CPL like Valour were expecting of Hoyle. He'd be cheap and he has a good bit of experience under his belt, which could be interesting to some clubs in the league.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Lofty is gone? What did he do?

Thanks to Rintaran I was unbanned. But for him I'd still be banned.

Every post I've ever made and every thread I've ever started has been deleted, including the "Valour 2020" one. So you can probably guess at my enthusiasm for future contributions.

If you want to see why, fortunately you can because my last two posts before I was banned and deleted have both been preserved because they were quoted. Both on page 462 of the CPL General thread. The 2nd last post is quoted by "The Real Marc" and the last post (the next day so presumably the offending one) is quoted by @Ams1984 a couple of posts below.

I say "presumably" above because I have yet to be told who banned me or why.

See you over on Reddit (there is surely only one t_bison! 😄).

6 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Thanks to Rintaran I was unbanned. But for him I'd still be banned.

Every post I've ever made and every thread I've ever started has been deleted, including the "Valour 2020" one. So you can probably guess at my enthusiasm for future contributions.

If you want to see why, fortunately you can because my last two posts before I was banned and deleted have both been preserved because they were quoted. Both on page 462 of the CPL General thread. The 2nd last post is quoted by "The Real Marc" and the last post (the next day so presumably the offending one) is quoted by @Ams1984 a couple of posts below.

I say "presumably" above because I have yet to be told who banned me or why.

See you over on Reddit (there is surely only one t_bison! 😄).

Jamie doesn't have time to straighten it out.........he's busy trying to cover his ass for being negligent in his duties with the Voyageurs

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=11034014&V_TOKEN=1588244631826&crpNm=Voyageurs&crpNmbr=&bsNmbr=

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Jamie doesn't have time to straighten it out.........he's busy trying to cover his ass for being negligent in his duties with the Voyageurs

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=11034014&V_TOKEN=1588244631826&crpNm=Voyageurs&crpNmbr=&bsNmbr=

Wow. There is a bigger discussion to be had. I've created a thread for it and included that link.

• 1 month later...