Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

^ I don't think we can fairly refer to what EPL & Championship teams rosters can accomplish if we're talking about fixture congestion and CPL teams.  (Or really anything else for that matter). 

And its not the Holiday Season, it's August in Winnipeg.  To my mind two entirely different marketing landscapes.

It is a one off so hopefully a lot of regulars will grin and bear it, especially if there's a good result against Forge on Saturday.  Edmonton will be here on Monday after visiting Cavalry on Friday so their legs aren't going to be at their best either.  Valour/Bombers had given out 100s of free tickets so that will help with attendance.  But I still think the gate isn't going to be there. 

I'm not suggesting York bad, but probably our season low.      

Posted (edited)

^ My point about 2 games in 3 days was just that it is fine for the players. There was never a big rotation in England for the second match. If English players can play 2 matches in 3 days, I'm sure Canadians can too.

Attendance for these two matches is an open question but will certainly also be reduced by the "cottage season" effect. Will be interesting to compare the Sat. with the Mon.

On a different topic, I think we will hear this week about any additional suspension for Tablegate.

Edited by Lofty

On 8/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, Lofty said:

It does now! It didn't say that originally.

At least things are relatively clear now: likely more games to come, the only question being how many.

I'm pretty sure the league are monitoring this forum because a few times previously I have posted rather glaring errors/flaws that had been displayed for a while but suddenly got corrected shortly after my post (e.g. Valour website showing the next home match as the one that was played 3 days previously; upcoming VCup matches not showing up in the default list).

Everyone knows that the league and most world governments are monitoring your posts to correct grammar mistakes as well as major pieces of legislation, that is the only explanation for you having to quote yourself on successive threads interminably--you are trying to save Canadian soccer AND the world at the same time.

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

^ I think that is fair. You can't let that kind of thing go without sanction but at the same time it is hardly a hanging offence. Now we can all move on.

Now that you completely backtrack on your entire line of reasoning, "we can all move on." Try to be a bit more serious, you were deriding the whole sequence as non-consequential and now you are saying that 6 games is alright, which means you probably think 7 or even 8 would be close to being fair too?

How about just not posting rubbish mocking the idea that there was anything at all to sanction after the red?

On 8/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, jonovision said:

Strange that we are still awaiting an official announcement. If the additional sanction has already been decided, why the secrecy?

If that tweet is correct, those responsible need to step up their professionalism (by making timely announcements).

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Strange that we are still awaiting an official announcement. If the additional sanction has already been decided, why the secrecy?

If that tweet is correct, those responsible need to step up their professionalism (by making timely announcements).

More on that:

I suspect you're right and the decision has been made and communicated to the team. I'm not sure why they'd take this long to announce, though.

According to the published match records, Murrell has only 3 bookings. Unless he got a yellow prior to the straight red, he will not get an additional game for accumulating 4 yellows.

I did not see him get a yellow and the published match record does not show one but I seem to recall the ref brandishing a yellow once or twice in such a way that it was hard to tell who was getting it.

Does anybody know why Valour have worn their home kit in their last two away matches and their away kit in their last two home matches?

Also, York were wearing their away kit in their last home match against Valour.

I actually like the idea of reversing colours for one home match per team per season so that we see everybody's home and away colours. But is that what they are doing? Or have we just covertly reversed our home and away colours? And if so, why?

CPL is rapidly turning into the Covert Premier League and we, the fans, are mushrooms. I'm rapidly getting very tired of it. Why on earth does the reason for this change need to be a secret?

42 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

The answer is yes.

Well, at least somebody seems to know the answer. Did the league send you a secret message encrypted with Enigma? Or did I miss the announcement?

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Well, at least somebody seems to know the answer. Did the league send you a secret message encrypted with Enigma? Or did I miss the announcement?

Michelle was on the radio the other day saying the new kits (2020) would be in the next few week.  Seems a bit premature but there it is. 

So for those of you who've been wondering why Valour wasn't restocking jerseys in you size for that last, well, month or two, it's not because they don't want your money, it's just that they don't want you buying the obsolute kit. 

You know, because with the new kits coming out who'd want the 2019 kit just because IT'S THE INAUGRAL KIT? 

Sigh.  Call me.  Text me.  Whatever.  I will give advise for free. 

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Hasn't the jersey switch been the case for all games across the league in the fall season?

So, all CPL teams are wearing their home shirts at home for the 5 home matches in the Spring Season and their Away shirts at home for the 9 home matches in the Fall Season? Do you know this for sure or are you just guessing? Or are they going to switch back again after 6 home matches, when presumably every other CPL team will have visited once? Has there been an explanatory announcement?

I'd just like to know what is going on. Is that too much to ask?

33 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Michelle was on the radio the other day saying the new kits (2020) would be in the next few week.  Seems a bit premature but there it is. 

So for those of you who've been wondering why Valour wasn't restocking jerseys in you size for that last, well, month or two, it's not because they don't want your money, it's just that they don't want you buying the obsolute kit. 

You know, because with the new kits coming out who'd want the 2019 kit just because IT'S THE INAUGRAL KIT? 

Sigh.  Call me.  Text me.  Whatever.  I will give advise for free.

A bit premature? And Siberia is a bit cold. We are only just past the HALFWAY POINT of THIS SEASON!!

STH contracts say the new shirts will be available by April 1st of each year. That is SEVEN AND A HALF MONTHS from now! To be fair it it does say "April 1st or earlier...". Under the terms of the contract we don't even pay for them until next year.

One of the things fans look forward to each season is the pre-season updated kit reveal. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder if the team are going to wear the 2020 shirts this year? The team normally wears them once they are available to buy.

Edit: I guess they are thinking that anybody who wants the inaugural kit already has it. They do still have a bunch available but only adult and baby (literally) sizes. No more junior/kid sizes which, given the number of kids out enjoying the matches, is a crying shame. What a mess.

Edited by Lofty

I cant believe you are complaining about the new kits coming out early.  I think after a win you guys dont know what to do with yourselves.  Be happy....the new phone books are here, the new phone books are here!!!  

I find myself bemused because, as I recall, we didn't initially get our kits untill just a few days before the 1st home match.

OK, points for responding to the complaints, but if true, things have gone to the other extreme.

P.S.  By the way, I think we've got a fair chance for result on Saturday.  Not trying to jinx anyone   Just saying I expect an excellent bit of football on the weekend. 

38 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

P.S.  By the way, I think we've got a fair chance for result on Saturday.  Not trying to jinx anyone   Just saying I expect an excellent bit of football on the weekend. 

I have two predictions for Saturday: one for if Thomas plays (0-2) and one for if he does not play and LBG wears the armband again (1-0).

I think we might be in the happy position of being forced (via suspension and injury) to play our strongest team, as we did against York. Yes, definitely a chance for our 2nd home win ever. I'm resigned to not seeing any goal fests this year though. If Bustos can't even tap into an open net from two yards out...

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I cant believe you are complaining about the new kits coming out early.  I think after a win you guys dont know what to do with yourselves.  Be happy....the new phone books are here, the new phone books are here!!!  

Actually, I'm just joking. My real beef is that we don't yet have the shirts for 2023.

One of the key reasons Valour have been struggling is that their three initial marquee signings have all turned out to be poor. Skylar Thomas was the first player signed by Valour. Stephen Hoyle was the second. Jordan Murrell followed shortly afterwards. All were touted as significant signings. These are the guys who are being paid the most and need to justify that by being Valour's best players, not average and certainly not their worst. 

Hoyle is now gone, contract terminated "by mutual consent", which normally means he got a pay off which surely counts against the salary cap. A costly mistake. Murrell and Thomas have proven to be the worst centre back pairing in CPL. Players who are supposedly two of Valour's best! And highest paid! Compounding the problem, they were named co-Captains. By sheer serendipity Valour has recently been forced to sign another central defender and we have seen what the team can do when neither Murrell nor Thomas plays and someone else is Captain: a shut out away win against a strong team; after ELEVEN matches without a win.

It is time for Thomas and Murrell to make Valour stronger by following Hoyle out the door. They are quite simply not good enough for CPL. And if Gale doesn't come to terms with it soon, he may very well be next in line. And after Valour's atrocious results (currently 4-3-11 on the season), it would be hard to argue with that.

Whatever one's opinion of Thomas and not knowing anything of his injury situation, I think it quite likely that he'll sit at least one of the two upcoming games. Even if he is healthy, 180 minutes in 48 hours would be a big ask for a player coming off an injury.

^ I definitely hope to see Le Bourhis at least once. Much too early to tell if he is the answer but he certainly got the job done against York. It was hard not to notice that his clearing headers all went clear instead of straight up into the air and down again into his own box for the oppo. to score!