Valour FC Season Thread 2019

On 6/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, damaaster said:

haha..I believe the seats I won are section 107.

How was the attendance been so far? Definitely looking forward to the game tonight/checking out the atmosphere.

So just out of curiousity...you are a big fan of soccer...did you not know about the CPL?  Assuming you are in WPG, did no advertising etc get to you about the Valour or CPL?  You seem to be someone that the Valour should have gotten to in the preseason if they had worked at all at reaching out to soccer fans.  Its  kind of maddening and kind of hopeful to see that big soccer fans are out there that might buy season tickets and are still only getting exposed to the Valour half way through the summer.  Maddening that bombers havnt done their job but hopeful for even better attendance in the future as there is obviously still more hardcore fans out there.  

No, I definitely was aware of the league, and the team - and have *slightly* been following them.

I have 2 small kids (3 years and 2 years old), I live in the North West part of the city, I coach my daughters soccer on Tues/Thurs,.  and making it to games is never going to be easy.  I was also a Jet's season ticket holder...and spend a bit of time in the summers at the cabin..so wasn't sure if Season ticket's would be right for me.  Thought I'd go to a couple games this year and see how I liked it before deciding.  I was planning on buying tickets soon - and just happened to win tickets to last nights game, so it worked out well.  I also took my friend who had a great time and also said he wants to start coming to more games too.

^ LOL.  Funny 'cause it's true.  Here's hoping they stop looking for the next pass and start seeing the immediate opportunity.

Sooo...anyone else wondering if they're going to work on set plays at all during the Spring Season or just wait until after Canada Day to start?

21 hours ago, Lofty said:

A bunch of extra blue dots have shown up for 20th June. Sigh. Still looks pretty good though. I can see our "normal" attendance settling in at around the 5,000 mark, which I think would constitute success.

I think it's a good sign the extra blue dots have already shown up.  They usually don't release them until the day of, and this might be a sign that tickets are selling better for this game than for recent games.  I think what we see right now is a true reflection of what is sold/available and it looks like around 1200 left.  I expect Thursday to be over 6000 

6000 would be great, although they are forecasting rain - which will suck.

Two things on my mind:

1) Valour has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot late in games. In the six games they have lost this year, they gave up goals in the last ten minutes of four of them. I think it's probably the mental thing that's holding Valour back the most.

2) I'm interested to see how attendance changes over the summer months - with a lot of games on school nights Valour games have been mostly adults. Over summer I can see a lot more kids coming - it's way cheaper than the Jets, more action than the Goldeyes & a lot more kids are playing soccer over American-style football (which is a problem for the Bombers). I know I'm looking forward to taking my son to a game over the next couple of months. 

3 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

FYI  -  Valour are practicing at Glenlawn Collegiate, Tuesday & Friday this week, 10:30-12:00.

I have Friday off and there are no World Cup games, so maybe I'll pop by 😉

17 hours ago, T_Bison said:

6000 would be great, although they are forecasting rain - which will suck.

Looks to me like ticket sales are just sub 5500 right now, so if the weather is good, walk up sales would easily take us over 6000, but if the rain forecast holds up, probably not.  Fingers crossed we get good weather 🤞

2 hours ago, MrsC said:

Looks to me like ticket sales are just sub 5500 right now, so if the weather is good, walk up sales would easily take us over 6000, but if the rain forecast holds up, probably not.  Fingers crossed we get good weather 🤞

Environment Canada (the only weather source I trust) has no rain in the forecast for Thursday. Hope it holds.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, MrsC said:

For some reason I always take comfort in how the alcohol free "Family Zone" is usually the last section to see significant ticket sales.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/frustration-boils-over-after-another-valour-loss

Slamming doors, F-bombs from the coach’s room and plenty of shouting behind closed doors – it seems Valour FC has hit a season low...

Oh the humanity! Have to wonder if journalists who would write something like that have ever actually played the game. You would have a reason to be more worried if a team gets beaten and there isn't complete bedlam with lots of swear words afterwards.

Re-watched the match this AM, wasn't BG's best match to be sure and maybe its a happy accident that he's suspended for the away match against Wanderers because the rest will do him good though to be fair most of the team looked done by the 80th.

I'm sure it would feel a little less frustrating if the goals where coming, even if they were still lossing.  But they aren't, so giving up cheap goals feels that must the worse. 

^ Blows my mind the opportunities this team misses.  By that I mean (amongst other things) advancing kickoff from 5PM (perfect to my mind) to noon.   

It's a Monday long weekend for fu'k sakes.  There are going to be a tonne of people who're going to book off Friday before and extend their weekend.  For those heading out of town a noon kickoff isn't going to be part of the Canada Day festivities they're coming home for.  Five o'clock?  Sure.  Certainly doable but next to no one is packing it in to be back in Winnipeg and making a noon kick off.  This is costing them money.

Shake my head.  Seriously hope I'm being overly negative but somehow I dont' think so.  Doesn't matter what crowd makes it out, they aren't meeting their potential. 

Hey - I need some advice. I'm a STH but I want to take my son with me and I need to get another seat. Would anyone guess if they'll be opening up more seats across the pitch for Canada Day like they did for the home opener? Ticketmaster is looking pretty sparse ATM for the game and I'm wondering if I get the seats swapped now or wait a bit and see if I can get the ones across the way.

6 hours ago, T_Bison said:
Hey - I need some advice. I'm a STH but I want to take my son with me and I need to get another seat. Would anyone guess if they'll be opening up more seats across the pitch for Canada Day like they did for the home opener? Ticketmaster is looking pretty sparse ATM for the game and I'm wondering if I get the seats swapped now or wait a bit and see if I can get the ones across the way.

Drop me a line, I can help