Match Thread - Pacific v Valour - May 1st, 2019

17 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

On a side note it’s a bit silly starting any sporting event after seven, especially on a weeknight.

The club wanted to give lots of time to get to the stadium as the Colwood Crawl creates a huge delay coming to Langford on weeknights. 

Just enjoyed a victory cigar and a few Moosehead and rewatched the match.  Couple of general thoughts & impressions before I go Valour centric.  

Arsenal-Valencia on DAZN and I'm rewatching a CPL match from last night.  OneSoccer-1  DAZN-nil

Unisex officiating crews in CPL.  All in all not a bad night for the crew.  Every match please. 👍

Much better from Rustad & Schaad.  Getting Clare more involved and at greater length is important.  Don't know if they're getting outside directing or they're just growing in their partnership but either way good job.  

Two Haber thoughts.  How the Hell he didn't find goal AT LEAST once is beyond me.  And even if he doesn't ever find goal this season but continues to make himself so much bother game in and game out he's going to be worth the every minute of field time.   

The best thing that Diego Gutierrez has done is sign with Valour.  Between Gale and this league he might shed some of that baby fat he's carrying between his ears.  Young man with his share of piss & vinegar and clearly no small amount of talent but he's got some growing to do.  Mentally.  This is a good place for him.  He could outgrow this league, fast, but he's got to grow and that's a tricky business.  Sometimes it's hard to mature while keeping that fire and either he'll find the way to do that or he won't.  Gale's got to help him there.

Very positive impressions of Sacramento and Petresso applified after a more sober second viewing.  Would add that those two along with Hoyle and Golubar have showed the intelligence they bring to the pitch yesterday.   Very nice. 

When Mussi joins the team I think, hope, all Hell is going to break loose in the oppostion area.  Gale looks like he wants to play moving forward and if it means settling for corners than so be it. 

He'll just send Fee, Fy, Foe and Fum up for the corner.  

Two more sleeps!

2 hours ago, masster said:

Not a bad night? They allowed an offside goal. Confirmation from Kurt Larson.

I haven't seen a replay yet, but I thought the distribution of cards was poor too. I don't mind allowing a physical game but some things are always a yellow, including deliberate hand balls to break up a play, and deliberate fouls after getting beat. I think Winnipeg got lucky with a few in the first half that might have changed the play towards the end of the game

I really hope that this league doesn't turn into the old "MLS: whine about reffing after every single game". I thought the reffing was fine. Yeah that was a big call that was missed, but watching as a neutral, Pacific really didn't do a whole lot to deserve much out of this game, especially playing at home.

Valour was the better team for the most part, with Haber really wishing he could have a chance at that double post again.

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I really hope that this league doesn't turn into the old "MLS: whine about reffing after every single game". I thought the reffing was fine. Yeah that was a big call that was missed, but watching as a neutral, Pacific really didn't do a whole lot to deserve much out of this game, especially playing at home.

Valour was the better team for the most part, with Haber really wishing he could have a chance at that double post again.

While I disagree wth your assessment of how PFC played, I definitely agree with your take on reffing. Unless the refereeing was incompetent throughout the match or obviously biased, I don't think it is something that deserves to be commented on. World class referees regularly get decisions wrong, and refereeing decisions are one of the least interesting talking points.

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, I saw you had old posts on there from 2013, now they are out of context of course. If you do game reports and analyse tactics, soon you will someone who actually knows how teams are evolving and how they adjust, which will put you in a strong position to analyse even better.

I just think that it is not for notoriety, or fame, just because when you read an article, and it is good like yours, you like to know who did it, nothing more.

What is fun about the league so far is that as each team is introduced, a narrative around it begins, and you anticipate the next episode, and so on. It is extremely fun.

Definitely agree with the bolded part. I was very excited to see Pacific FC play again, and to see Valour play such a different formation was exciting as a neutral fan of the league. I was worried that only having seven teams would be detrimental, but now I feel like I can intimately get to know each team, its personality and key players etc. and see them grow week to week. You put it well -- it's like I'm waiting for the next episode to see what the new twist or story line is.

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

What game were you watching mate? Pacific had the bulk of possession and created far more chances. Valour were lucky to walk away with 3 points.

And just to clarify, you'd prefer that an incorrect call that resulted in the first ever goal against and the first ever loss for Pacific FC not be commented on by fans; you'd prefer that a call that was completely missed by the broadcast crew, and resulted in the first ever goal for, and the first ever win for Valour FC not be mentioned; and you believe that talk of refereeing decisions is somehow unique to the old MLS?

Edited by Aird25

11 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I’m still troubled with the non call on Bekker on his head shot on Dichiara ? Even in hockey this guy would get a few games minimum. Instead nothing no cards and no review by the league, in the MLS or in any league in the world this hit would have been reviewed during the week and he would be serving a few games . I’ll tell you what if I’m coaching in this league the next time my team faces Bekker if the league is not doing anything about this hit I’m taking justice in my own hands and Bekker would be dealt with by one of my players.

28 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’m still troubled with the non call on Bekker on his head shot on Dichiara ? Even in hockey this guy would get a few games minimum. Instead nothing no cards and no review by the league, in the MLS or in any league in the world this hit would have been reviewed during the week and he would be serving a few games . I’ll tell you what if I’m coaching in this league the next time my team faces Bekker if the league is not doing anything about this hit I’m taking justice in my own hands and Bekker would be dealt with by one of my players.

Agreed. I can see that it could have been missed in the moment, but I don't see how something wasn't done retroactively

On 5/4/2019 at 2:28 AM, SoccMan said:

...if the league is not doing anything about this hit I’m taking justice in my own hands and Bekker would be dealt with by one of my players.

I'd be very surprised if a York 9 player doesn't wait for just the right time to try to exact retribution in the next game between the two teams even without being told to by Jim Brennan or Carmine Isacco. If you act like a hockey goon in soccer sooner or later you tend to end up on crutches, which is something that people who claim soccer players are wimps don't understand because they have never played the game. Cross the line on what other players view as acceptable and watch out...