Match Thread - Pacific v Valour - May 1st, 2019

7 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

missed most of the match, would love to hear some valour player ratings

I was very focused on the Valour end of things. Standouts in a positive way were Hoyle, Golubar, Petrasso, and Gutierrez. Arguinarena didn't see much of the ball but seemed comfortable.

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

Only caught the second half but Pacific seemed to struggle getting the ball forward and seemed to one dimensional with only crosses. On a side note it’s a bit silly starting any sporting event after seven, especially on a weeknight.

Is it so bad really? A soccer game starting at 8pm ends almost at the same time as a hockey game that starts at 7.

Just now, jonovision said:

Is it so bad really? A soccer game starting at 8pm ends almost at the same time as a hockey game that starts at 7.

Yeah but people don’t think of the end time they think of the start time. If I have a kid and thinking of taking him to the game I’m gonna look at a hockey game and see it starts at seven and think oh that’ll be ok on a school night versus a game starting at eight where I’m going to think that’s going to be a bit late for kid. 

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

If the offside rule didnt change this year that first goal from hoyle might be offside..his shot going towards goal was blocked but went to petrasso who was offside

Totally. I cant believe that was missed. It wasnt even close.

They talked about offside during the halftime show but they were referring to a few seconds before that incident. 

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

Seems like Issey is playing less than I expected. His fitness is usually top notch so I wonder if he's carrying a slight knock or something?

Yes, very surprising. Especially down a goal with 15 or so minutes left.

Agree that this was the slopiest game of the 3 we have seem so far.

Verhoeven is the player I will be keeping an eye on for the rest of this season. He did not repeat the great performance from the first game. Too many turnovers, but you can tell that the skill is there. That is what this league is for. Learn those mistakes out of the system.

Pacific subs in a player that is not even listed on the roster page of their website. Valour only have 5 players on the bench. As professional as the league has looked from the outside, these are the little things that I was hoping we wouldnt see.

In a way, I'm glad Valour got the 3 points. Hopefully some good press will help sell a few more tickets for their home opener. 

Caught the second half. 

Game was so sloppy to me. I rarely saw three passes put together. PFC looked liked they had 1 game plan and 1 game plan only - try to whip crosses in Haber. Which wasnt working with Valours sizeable defenders. Blasco made some good runs, but selfishly shot when he should have squared it. 

For PFC I was really impressed with Hernandez, didn't realize he was Canadian and only 19. 

For Valour I was really impressed with Sacramento, and Petrasso. Maybe its the level, but he looked really comfortable in the attack. 

Yeah, sloppy.  Maybe untidy would be a better discription.  Early season match to be sure.  Poor timing sometimes, incorrect anticitpation at others, all the usual complaints you're going to have at the start of the season.  

Petrasso caught the eye.  Hoyle and Sacramento too.

Ha!  Good for Carreiro!  West End lad there.  See how he comes along this year.  Was less impressed with him until he scored though.  Thought Murrell was struggling too.  

Oh boy.  First impression is this team is going to be both fun and terrifying to watch every single match.  

Edited by Cheeta

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, sloppy.  Maybe untidy would be a better discription.  Early season match to be sure.  Poor timing sometimes, incorrect anticitpation at others, all the usual complaints your going to have at the start of the season.  

Petrasso caught the eye.  Hoyle and Sacramento too.

Ha!  Good for Carreiro!  West End lad there.  See how he comes along this year.  Was less impressed with him until he scored though.  Thought Murrell was struggling too.  

Oh boy.  First impression is this team is going to be both fun and terrifying to watch every single match.  

Although the level of play overall in the league so far has been a pleasant surprise to me, I think all 3 matches, and especially the inaugural match and last night, have been hurt by being played under quite windy conditions. Wayward passes look a little more wayward, Pacific's lump it to Haber strategy is made a bit more difficult, etc. Although I envy the smaller parks in the league, one advantage IGF will have is that field level is significantly below grade with seating on all sides, and wind will have less of an effect.

I thought the 2-1 Valour victory was a fair result.  Valour dominated most of the match, but Pacific could have taken the points if they were a bit more clinical in front. 

Valour dominated the opening 40, but then looked shaken in the last 5 minutes and were lucky to finish the half 1-1.  LOL, I was having flashbacks of the Winnipeg Jets season.  Haber will be having nightmares.  The second half was similar.  Lots of PFC crosses into the box in the closing minutes, but Farago dealt with everything incoming.

Outstanding match for VFC and an entertaining game.  Went to the wire with PFC pressing in the closing minutes.

Let's pack IGF for May 4 !!

And that's the second match I've viewed on One Soccer and it has been flawless.  Decent pre and post game as well. I had a streaming subscription to Nottingham Forest last season and it was nightmare quality.  One Soccer could not be easier. Well done CPL, AGAIN !

I just watched sections, not all, to see parts, as I have no time. 

I don't see that so sloppy as intense, when the defensive pressure is higher and better organised on both sides, you are going to lose it more. Both teams were more on top of each other.

Last Sunday PFC had time on the ball, as HFX let them, and did not pressure as a team. At the inaugural match, that large pitch size was used well, especially by Forge to get time on the ball by changing sides and having players like Nanco very wide. 

For me this is in there at the upper end of Spanish 4th tier level, if I had to judge. But I would not say we are looking at any case of professional incompetence on the pitch yet.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me this is in there at the upper end of Spanish 4th tier level, if I had to judge. But I would not say we are looking at any case of professional incompetence on the pitch yet.

It's going to be interesting to hear the opinion of some of these players who have played their trade in many different leagues, I hope we get an honest assessment once they have played a bunch of matches!

11 hours ago, masster said:

Totally. I cant believe that was missed. It wasnt even close.

They talked about offside during the halftime show but they were referring to a few seconds before that incident. 

So there is no doubt that Petrasso was in an offside position before he receives the ball and plays it back to Hoyle for Valour's first goal. I've spoken to 2 different referees and have gotten 2 different answers as to whether the goal should have been called back. One said that since McCurdy tried to play the ball (block the shot), the goal should stand. Another said that it was a deflection and not deliberate conscious play, so it should have been called offside.

To me, this should be offside every single time. If the rule now says that this is not offside, then it is a very dumb rule and needs to be fixed!

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

• interfering with an opponent by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

• challenging an opponent for the ball or *The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used Offside 98

• clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

• making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:

• rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Edited by Big_M

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:

• rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

The way I read that, the goal should have been disallowed. Correct?

55 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That was how I saw it too. But in fairness there definitely were also a bunch of sloppy passes, straight to the opposition.

Barça made about 25  crap passes last night vs. Liverpool, at least 6 by Messi in the first half: sloppy passes bad enough that the public groaned, even with the result in our favour. One by Coutinho before he was subbed brought on major jeers, and he went off to deriding whistles (so bad Messi had to ask us to not do that anymore after the match).

Okay, we are not used to it at Camp Nou, but in football anything over a 70% effectivity rate is usually considered good, and a sign that you are looking to raise your effectivity, not squander advantageous positions on the field, that your positioning is right so you have clear options in the pass--and also that you have the technique to handle the speed, the biggest factor all players cite when moving up a level. Barça failed to pass well in part because of tactics and who started, but also because Klopp clogged up our usually effective middle and forced us to go around, or long, or on the counter--which is what eventually happened. 

I thought it was ugly, apart from the goals. I enjoyed watching Ajax more on tv than that match in the stadium. Because the end doesn't justify the means, it only helps forget crappy means faster.

Edit: the match at Westhills, from what I've seen, was entertaining, well fought, had nice details, and little you could complain about at this level.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Pacific FC 1 - 2 Valour FC: Hosts try to isolate Thomas, but visitors' interesting shape hangs on

P.S. I plan on doing reports on a lot of the matches, so if this is an inappropriate place to post them then let me know

Good report, lots of stuff there of interest. Keep it up. 

Why don't you sign your articles with your name or a recognizeable handle?

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good report, lots of stuff there of interest. Keep it up. 

Why don't you sign your articles with your name or a recognizeable handle?

Thanks for the kind words.

I began writing on soccer a while ago for fun, then I began writing with a view of 'getting recognized' and resented it. Now that I'm writing again I want to write just for fun and to get better at writing in general, so I only plan on promoting myself in a couple of places to get involved in the conversation. It may sound silly but I don't want to put pressure on myself to have to write.

Anyway, I forgot I had my twitter linked to the site and someone found me on there and shared a previous one of my posts on reddit. That's enough notoriety for me :P.

Edited by El Diego

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Thanks for the kind words.

I began writing on soccer a while ago for fun, then I began writing with a view of 'getting recognized' and resented it. Now that I'm writing again I want to write just for fun and to get better at writing in general, so I only plan on promoting myself in a couple of places to get involved in the conversation. It may sound silly but I don't want to put pressure on myself to have to write.

Anyway, I forgot I had my twitter linked to the site and someone found me on there and shared a previous one of my posts on reddit. That's enough notoriety for me :P.

Yes, I saw you had old posts on there from 2013, now they are out of context of course. If you do game reports and analyse tactics, soon you will someone who actually knows how teams are evolving and how they adjust, which will put you in a strong position to analyse even better.

I just think that it is not for notoriety, or fame, just because when you read an article, and it is good like yours, you like to know who did it, nothing more.

What is fun about the league so far is that as each team is introduced, a narrative around it begins, and you anticipate the next episode, and so on. It is extremely fun.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist