Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why couldn’t both the tss rovers/highlanders and BC div 3 be in the draw?  Or foothills and AMSL clubs? 

I think it would be silly to cut a few clubs. 

I think that TSS Rovers, Highlanders, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay should be allowed in.

However, if a BC Div 3 were to come along, and TSS Rovers/Highlanders did not want to join, I would cut them from the Cup at that point. I think it is very important to create a proper pyramid in the country and I don't believe that having multiple different leagues playing at similar levels helps

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, deschamp86 said:

I think that TSS Rovers, Highlanders, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay should be allowed in.

However, if a BC Div 3 were to come along, and TSS Rovers/Highlanders did not want to join, I would cut them from the Cup at that point. I think it is very important to create a proper pyramid in the country and I don't believe that having multiple different leagues playing at similar levels helps

The only possible problem for those PDL (USL2) teams is that their season does not get going until the second week of May. They can't get university players before late April, or only with difficulty. 

Now since they would likely be playing off against each other, that would even things out, but still, it does make it harder for them to be in earlier round.

Just the same, I would love to see it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Some "stunning" tidbits on how well HFX is doing while the CFL group is fumbling according to this CBC article.

A sports economist says the backers of a proposed CFL franchise in Halifax should take a page out of the playbook of the HFX Wanderers FC to get more public support.

"That team has almost immediately built itself into the fabric of the city," said Moshe Lander, who spends part of the year teaching at Dalhousie University in Halifax.

After spending May and June in Halifax, he said he was "stunned" by the number of people he'd see out in the Spring Garden Road area every night wearing Wanderers jerseys and scarves.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/atlantic-schooners-cfl-franchise-halifax-hfx-wanderers-fc-1.5262867

Edited by red card