Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2019

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why couldn’t both the tss rovers/highlanders and BC div 3 be in the draw?  Or foothills and AMSL clubs? 

I think it would be silly to cut a few clubs. 

I think that TSS Rovers, Highlanders, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay should be allowed in.

However, if a BC Div 3 were to come along, and TSS Rovers/Highlanders did not want to join, I would cut them from the Cup at that point. I think it is very important to create a proper pyramid in the country and I don't believe that having multiple different leagues playing at similar levels helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, deschamp86 said:

I think that TSS Rovers, Highlanders, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay should be allowed in.

However, if a BC Div 3 were to come along, and TSS Rovers/Highlanders did not want to join, I would cut them from the Cup at that point. I think it is very important to create a proper pyramid in the country and I don't believe that having multiple different leagues playing at similar levels helps

The only possible problem for those PDL (USL2) teams is that their season does not get going until the second week of May. They can't get university players before late April, or only with difficulty. 

Now since they would likely be playing off against each other, that would even things out, but still, it does make it harder for them to be in earlier round.

Just the same, I would love to see it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some "stunning" tidbits on how well HFX is doing while the CFL group is fumbling according to this CBC article.

A sports economist says the backers of a proposed CFL franchise in Halifax should take a page out of the playbook of the HFX Wanderers FC to get more public support.

"That team has almost immediately built itself into the fabric of the city," said Moshe Lander, who spends part of the year teaching at Dalhousie University in Halifax.

After spending May and June in Halifax, he said he was "stunned" by the number of people he'd see out in the Spring Garden Road area every night wearing Wanderers jerseys and scarves.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/atlantic-schooners-cfl-franchise-halifax-hfx-wanderers-fc-1.5262867

Edited by red card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will have been mainly trying to get the federal parties to pledge lavish funding as part of their election campaigns. If neither Justin Trudeau or the Tory dude go for it as seems to be the case then it's dead in the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They will have been mainly trying to get the federal parties to pledge lavish funding as part of their election campaigns. If neither Justin Trudeau or the Tory dude go for it as seems to be the case then it's dead in the water. 

This is not the case. SSE has proposed a few different funding models but the preferred one by ownership is a tax incremental funding model where by SSE receives a portion of the provincial taxes paid on the developments surrounding the stadium. It’s the same model that was used in Ottawa for TD Place and in Edmonton for Rogers Place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They will have been mainly trying to get the federal parties to pledge lavish funding as part of their election campaigns. If neither Justin Trudeau or the Tory dude go for it as seems to be the case then it's dead in the water. 

The Tory dude is Maxime Bernier but I think the person you meant is Andrew Scheer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Politics aside. I have been telling people IF you are going to build a stadium atleast build a nice one. Even the artist rendition on this one looks terrible.

I'm kinda surprised a stadium that bare bones costs that much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:59 AM, grasshopper1917 said:

Politics aside. I have been telling people IF you are going to build a stadium atleast build a nice one. Even the artist rendition on this one looks terrible.

The original rendering looked nice, looked like a soccer stadium. I think it was modeled after San Jose's recently built stadium. They probably needed to reduce the costs dramatically so they now want to go with what you see there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Macksam said:

 

The original rendering looked nice, looked like a soccer stadium. I think it was modeled after San Jose's recently built stadium. They probably needed to reduce the costs dramatically so they now want to go with what you see there. 

Yea that is exactly what happened there is a lot of political pressure in Halifax against public funds for the stadium.The way it feels right now is it will be very tough to get the funding for the Stadium approved at a municipal level. The provincial government has already said no money is coming out of general revenue for the facility. Although they havent completely ruled out a rent a car tax with the proceeds going to pay down the stadium.

In general there seems to be heavy cynicism regarding the CFL  in Atlantic Canada. Especially after they had to cut ticket prices severely to fill up the game in Moncton ($29 taxes in got you a ticket a hot dog and a drink).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...