2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

In their last NASL season (2017) FCE averaged 3408 with a season high attendance of 4096.

And on Sundays they averaged 3,079 with a season high of 3,549. Their season opener was a Sunday and they drew 3,472. Edmonton never did Sundays in the NASL.

One day we will have good weather in Hamilton but Sunday was definitely not that day about 5 degrees and then is started to rain and continued all day, nature hates CPL!!😰

I also would like to remind people its May 13th today and the weather is still shit in Ontario WTF!!

Edited by Hybred

I was thinking the Forge would be doing well to get 3000 to 3500 in the house on a day like yesterday, as Hybrid says it was brutal! I was looking forward to this match up and was not going to miss it no matter what, I was dressed in full rain gear as I hate being cold and wet, by the time the second half kicked off it was just nasty in the stands and even some of the diehards who had shown up were fleeing for the exits, I think those are the worst conditions I've watched a match in and I have been to many winter matches in Britain! They still announced almost 6K, I'm sceptical about that number, our Battalion section was rocking though, as I mentioned in the match thread I hope the terrible weather and disappointing results don't kill the early season buzz around this team!

1 hour ago, gator said:

I was thinking the Forge would be doing well to get 3000 to 3500 in the house on a day like yesterday, as Hybrid says it was brutal! I was looking forward to this match up and was not going to miss it no matter what, I was dressed in full rain gear as I hate being cold and wet, by the time the second half kicked off it was just nasty in the stands and even some of the diehards who had shown up were fleeing for the exits, I think those are the worst conditions I've watched a match in and I have been to many winter matches in Britain! They still announced almost 6K, I'm sceptical about that number, our Battalion section was rocking though, as I mentioned in the match thread I hope the terrible weather and disappointing results don't kill the early season buzz around this team!

I left in the 65th. My attendance guess was 2500 in the stands and 1000 in the concourses. It was a miserable day for sure. 

14 hours ago, matty said:

yes and their weekday game beat all cpl games this week. i know they had deals for tix, but that still counts lol

Sure, but that school day match last year had more than 8000 in attendance vs this year with 6800.  15% drop year over year.

1 hour ago, ted said:

It did fill in as the game went on. Anyone know if they had parking issues like Calgary a their first match?

Yes. There were apparently some issues in Edmonton.

Besides some of these initial stadium hiccups, we have seen a regular trend of late arriving crowds. I think much of the 'blame' has to go to the CPL start time. Why is there an insistence with having kickoff take place right on the hour as opposed to 5 or 8 minutes past? I can understand that there may be some TV considerations when the matches are on CBC, but when they aren't, why not delay kickoff a few minutes so the fans at the gates can get it?

2 hours ago, masster said:

.Why is there an insistence with having kickoff take place right on the hour as opposed to 5 or 8 minutes past? I can understand that there may be some TV considerations when the matches are on CBC, but when they aren't, why not delay kickoff a few minutes so the fans at the gates can get it?

"5 or 8 minutes" is not the kind so delays we are talking about. Watching the Edmonton game on TV on Sunday it looked like the stands were still only half-full 15 - 20 minutes or more into the match.

32 minutes ago, ted said:

"5 or 8 minutes" is not the kind so delays we are talking about. Watching the Edmonton game on TV on Sunday it looked like the stands were still only half-full 15 - 20 minutes or more into the match.

I agree. But the 5 or 8 minutes is better than nothing. In addition, it is a standard that the Canadian ticket buying public is already used to.

4 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sure, but that school day match last year had more than 8000 in attendance vs this year with 6800.  15% drop year over year.

true but that really doesn't change it was the #1 attended game.

4 hours ago, masster said:

Yes. There were apparently some issues in Edmonton.

Besides some of these initial stadium hiccups, we have seen a regular trend of late arriving crowds. I think much of the 'blame' has to go to the CPL start time. Why is there an insistence with having kickoff take place right on the hour as opposed to 5 or 8 minutes past? I can understand that there may be some TV considerations when the matches are on CBC, but when they aren't, why not delay kickoff a few minutes so the fans at the gates can get it?

As you know that is the world standard, the only place in the world where any sport does not start at the hour, is North America. In Europe, everything starts on time, basketball, handball, futsal, all team sports. I guess MediaPro, or someone, decided they should just do the same, and I agree: your tv time is precise that way, and all things related to it, the time of possible half-time and ads, your postgame. 

People also tend to get to games tight in Europe, stands can have huge holes in them 2 minutes before a match starts, then you can top up 25% in a minute. People who arrive late and block the play get hassled. 

That said, if they want to start later, fine, but all that means is that people will arrive later and get in to games later as is. I find it depressing to think Canadians cannot arrive on time for things, what are we coming to?

1 hour ago, matty said:

true but that really doesn't change it was the #1 attended game.

Sure, but that fact holds little significance when considering that it was a heavily-discounted special event.

It's like drawing direct comparisons between Ottawa's attendance of 3700 and Hamilton's attendance of 17000+ on opening weekend; it's meaningless unless you're comparing like vs like.

2 hours ago, ted said:

From watching FC  Edmonton matches since their 2011 NASL debut I've learnt not to judge the crowd count till the 30th minute mark when all the late comers have finally made it in.

Might be partially the more common early afternoon start times for the Eddies.

35 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sure, but that fact holds little significance when considering that it was a heavily-discounted special event.

It's like drawing direct comparisons between Ottawa's attendance of 3700 and Hamilton's attendance of 17000+ on opening weekend; it's meaningless unless you're comparing like vs like.

dude you're acting like i'm hiding the discount which my opening post fully acknowledged. i pointed it out because we compared a home opener to a standard game (which isn't exactly like with like)

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I find it depressing to think Canadians cannot arrive on time for things, what are we coming to?

I don't know but it is in all aspects of life. Whether at my work or not-for-profit organizations and clubs, the idea of actually starting on time seems alien to people.

If I say a meeting starts @ 7:00 pm, I expect you to be seated, settled and ready to start @7:00 bloody pm. I've had to give up hope that that will ever be true.

50 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't know but it is in all aspects of life. Whether at my work or not-for-profit organizations and clubs, the idea of actually starting on time seems alien to people.

If I say a meeting starts @ 7:00 pm, I expect you to be seated, settled and ready to start @7:00 bloody pm. I've had to give up hope that that will ever be true.

different degrees of fans. for some, i see no real issue with casual fans being late but do see an issue with adjusting start times. movies don't do it

34 minutes ago, Tigers said:

Of course movies do it. They have all the filler stuff and previews. The movie doesn't actually roll at whatever the time is.

I'm counting that as part of it similar to pregame ceremony.