Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Spring Season Attendance

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Seemed like a lot more on TV.

Ended up being a nice day for it in spite of the threat of thunder showers: warm when the sun was out, a touch nippy when it went in.

Felt like a good crowd at the match. Shame about the empty stands on the other side but that can't be helped in that stadium. If the season average ends up around there I will be quite happy. Although, if Valour have a good season I would not be surprised to see it even higher. Everybody loves a winner, and Winnipeg hasn't had one of those for a VERY long time!

13 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Seemed like a lot more on TV.

i saw the instagram story about the game, and thought it would be lower. glad my thought was wrong

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Ended up being a nice day for it in spite of the threat of thunder showers: warm when the sun was out, a touch nippy when it went in.

Felt like a good crowd at the match. Shame about the empty stands on the other side but that can't be helped in that stadium. If the season average ends up around there I will be quite happy. Although, if Valour have a good season I would not be surprised to see it even higher. Everybody loves a winner, and Winnipeg hasn't had one of those for a VERY long time!

Winnipeg Goldeyes won in 2016 and 2017. 

38 minutes ago, sting said:

Winnipeg Goldeyes won in 2016 and 2017. 

Touché! I guess I'm just not a baseball fan as I did not know that. But I do admire what the Goldeyes have built.

Posted (edited)

DIY stats: not courtesy of CPL.

Valour Attendances:

HOME: 15,919 / 2 = 7,960 avg.

11 May 2019 - HFX Wanderers: 5,763

4 May 2019 - FC Edmonton: 10,156

AWAY: 4,415 / 2 = 2,208 avg.

8 May 2019 - Cavalry: 2,055

1 May 2019 - Pacific: 2,360

Edited by Lofty

14 hours ago, matty said:

i saw the instagram story about the game, and thought it would be lower. glad my thought was wrong

Agree that number looked a bit high if the sections being sold are 7000 seats in total, but maybe that sort of assumption on what a fully filled portion of the lower bowl would be at this point is too low. Think Thursday's game against the Forge will provide a better handle on what the lower end of the range is going to be on attendance this season. Hamilton managed over 5000 for a weeknight game. Will be interesting to see if the Valour can as well.

14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Agree that number looked a bit high if the sections being sold are 7000 seats in total, but maybe that sort of assumption on what a fully filled portion of the lower bowl would be at this point is too low. Think Thursday's game against the Forge will provide a better handle on what the lower end of the range is going to be on attendance this season. Hamilton managed over 5000 for a weeknight game. Will be interesting to see if the Valour can as well.

The estimate of 7,200 won't be off by much: a few hundred max.

Weeknight games are not a problem in Winnipeg: you can always get there and home in reasonable time. If Thursday's game has a lower attendance it is likely to be related to 3 home matches in 13 days more than the weeknight. (Although, there are quite a few youngsters at the games and a weeknight match might be a bit late for them.)

Winnipeg is cottage country. Our challenge will be summer games more than weeknight ones. This is why the Bombers try to avoid weekend dates during July/Aug.

Sure this probably happens in similar venues but you do get a whack of people watching from the concourse.  If they're up there they aren't in their seats.  I'd say it's mostly because they're comfortable standing so maybe that scews the optics somewhat.

I've done a really rough tally on Ticketmaster, of the Valour tickets sold so far for Thursday and it looks to be somewhere between 4800 to 5200 depending on how many are actually sold in that youth club section.  I'm reasonably  optimistic that we should have at least 5000.

I would say if attendance starts to dip below 5000 in either Winnipeg or Hamilton that would be a big red flag. I think EDM, CAL, York, Pacific will have some ups and downs and will have some rough nights at the box office. However I see Hamilton and Winnipeg as real corner stones who need to have a reasonable fan base.

Weather and the fact that its mothers day had hurt attendance in Hamilton today. Really terrible out there today, rain, windy single digits temperature. I’d guess 4000 attendance. 

Hamilton has about 6,000 season seat holders but that doesn’t necessarily mean attendance.  Also you get games like today where it’s raining and 6 degrees where you have to be very brave to go to and have a very understanding wife on mother’s day.

I ‘think’ Forge is selling about 7,000 seats a game; but they also did a big 2-1 with  the youth soccer community in the summer so we will have to see.  I’m not super concerned.

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Hamilton has about 6,000 season seat holders but that doesn’t necessarily mean attendance.  Also you get games like today where it’s raining and 6 degrees where you have to be very brave to go to and have a very understanding wife on mother’s day.

I ‘think’ Forge is selling about 7,000 seats a game; but they also did a big 2-1 with  the youth soccer community in the summer so we will have to see.  I’m not super concerned.

I dont think Forge has anywhere even remotely close to 6000 season tickets sold.

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I've done a really rough tally on Ticketmaster, of the Valour tickets sold so far for Thursday and it looks to be somewhere between 4800 to 5200 depending on how many are actually sold in that youth club section.  I'm reasonably  optimistic that we should have at least 5000.

I've stopped trusting the ticketmaster blue dots. Entire sections that you would not expect to be sold out (the less desirable seats) show with not one single blue dot one day and then a bunch of blue dots the next.

13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Attendance today 5,912 in Hamilton.

Paid attendance, which is fair.

That is a very solid number. Given the weather, I think that means Forge have exactly 5,912 season ticket holders!

25 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Ya , theyre counting tickets sold, not attendance. No way 5,912 there. Lots of no shows. 

Think yesterday's number in Winnipeg was probably also tickets distributed rather than actual.

5 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wow no one in the stands at Edmonton for their home opener. Now im starting to panic  lol

Surprising because there's very few seats available on Ticketmaster.

Also who ordered the yellow paint?