2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Well the flip side of this is that Vaughan Azzurri and Blainville packed the house in their matches against CPL teams.

Perhaps fans are more savvy then we give them credit for.

I think the idea of playing a higher league team is huge. I expect that York and Cavalry will have full stadiums providing they do a bit of marketing. Halifax should do well atendance wise regardless of the opponent.

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

All this discussion about league vs cup matches and their impact on attendance.  Really, in the context of a fledgling league with 7 teams, does anyone think there has been enough depth of interest that it really influences the draw at this stage in the league's life?  What new casual fan is going to skip a game vs Edm because it is cup vs attending vs Vic because it is league?

Think the only thing that made a big difference on that was when second round games were no longer part of the season ticket package for some of the teams.

55 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the only thing that made a big difference on that was when second round games were no longer part of the season ticket package for some of the teams.

That is 100% the absolute key. IMO season ticket pricing was great in most markets but single game pricing seems a bit high. (Roughly 30$-45$) in Halifax. So for a league weeknight game we will get the season ticket holders plus a small walk up crowd.

For the cup games season ticket holders do get a discounted rate but not all take advantage of that (most didn't vs Winnipeg). Plus the usual small  weeknight walk up crowd. Will likely make for a lower then usual attendance vs Ottawa (although we should do much better then our 2nd round cup game vs Winnipeg). 

On 6/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, Bison44 said:

None, I cant explain it to my non soccer friends at all.  Let alone pro/reg a season that doesnt end with playoffs crowning a champion.  

There is an even a guy on CanPL reddit who seemed to be searching for words to describe it.

Edited by red card

Awww, the blue dot thread.  I am no expert on blue dots but I do know that plenty of teams across all sorts of promotions.  Most would consider it  good business to bring in new (and more) fans and generate interest in the club.  I hear Valour is even having discounted beer prices.  

There was no special promotion for the PFC game vs. Edmonton. I think the solid attendance was more a product of both the great day (Sunday), start time (3pm), and the length of time form the previous game to sell tickets. As for the Canada Day game, I will be there, but have assumed the attendance will be quite low relative to the Edmonton game. I'd be happy with 2,500 given what happens in Greater Victoria on Canada Day Weekend. Half the people leave and go up island camping. The mass exodus began on Wednesday this year. And it seems like most of those who stay go downtown, which has great events for families all day.

4 hours ago, ktf said:

There was no special promotion for the PFC game vs. Edmonton. I think the solid attendance was more a product of both the great day (Sunday), start time (3pm), and the length of time form the previous game to sell tickets.

Mentioned it before and will mention it again, I don't think the mid week fixtures are being hurt so much by the fact they're mid week so much as I think it's more the spacing between home fixtures.  This isn't the NHL, the concept of attending two matches in less than a week is a pretty alien concept to a lot of people. 

Monday is going to be the biggest crowd since the opener at IG Field  (still convinced it will be under-achieving) but have to echo your observation about the cottage crowd this long weekend.  It's been a cooler spring out here and with the weather turning for the better A LOT of people have hit The Lake.  Drive to work on Friday was like, "WTF?" and was out and about today and you'd have sworn it was a quiet Sunday. 

Monday is still going to be crazy good.  Hope the lads are up for it.  🤞    

21 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Mentioned it before and will mention it again, I don't think the mid week fixtures are being hurt so much by the fact they're mid week so much as I think it's more the spacing between home fixtures.  This isn't the NHL, the concept of attending two matches in less than a week is a pretty alien concept to a lot of people. 

This is a good point - there were 4 York home games in an 11-day period.  Way too much for me.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t know if this is the right place to put this but almost no tickets have been bought for the Cardiff game in Edmonton.

Probably isn't the right place but the lack of local CanPL content was a strange one. Cardiff vs Real Valladolid looked like two clubs with an inflated opinion of themselves getting ideas above their station to put it in British terms. There's an ongoing joke in Scotland about how when Celtic play Man Utd in a North American friendly Celtic fans think people are flocking to see them when they are really just there to be the punching bag Washington Generals style. The problem with this fixture was always likely to be that there are two punching bags and no Man Utd involved. A home town heroes David vs Goliath angle in the shape of FCE was the obvious way to go with teams like this.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Not to be niggly but I'd have thought the crowd today topped 7K.  Usual sections were packed and they were putting people into the book ends (ie beyond the supporters section and family zone).  

Few hundred one way or the other doesn't matter I suppose.  Everyone involved and sporting a beer or food or both (spending money!) so all in all a good day at the park.  

On 6/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, Lofty said:

Do you have sand in your vagina? 🙄

Hey! I put a ;)

On 6/29/2019 at 3:51 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Cavalry game on Monday doesn't seem to be selling well so far.

Yeah, that was a disappointing attendance for a game we won so nicely. The crowds downtown for Canada Day were nuts. Free concert all afternoon and evening on the Legislature Lawn. We couldn't even get our usual tailgate together as the usual organizer had other commitments and didn't tell us until  last minute. A large cooler of beverages and a frisbee just seemed a little sad. 

Of course winning games will help with marketing. 

On 7/2/2019 at 11:15 AM, ted said:

Of course winning games will help with marketing. 

I'm just going to have to take your word on that. 😦

We're into what I'm going to call peak season for most of the teams.  The July/August numbers are going to be what holds up the overall averages I'm thinking.  We'll see at seasons end if I'm right or no.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Look this league needs more teams after awhile seeing the same teams over and over again is not good for attendance, so hopefully next year they can add at least 3 new teams.

I recall back in the old A-League the 86ers playing the Seattle Sounders 7 times during a 28 game season.  Monotonous.

Will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in the number of people showing up for Forge games this month:

https://offer.fevo.com/celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304?fevoUri=celebrating-women-s-soccer-exclusive-ticket-offer-23e7304%2F

My understanding from what has appeared on Reddit is that there were $10 tickets for the three Forge home games in July being offered at one point as well.