2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

It's probably only Hamilton and York 9 that have bloated numbers right now due to their well-documented use of free admission making tickets distributed numbers markedly different from paid attendance in that context.”

Notice how he fails to mention it was only the respective home openers of these clubs where free tickets were given to the opposing team’s fans, and because he fails to mention this, he gives the false impression that both clubs regularly give free tickets away when that’s not true. This is why people shit on him and his rhetoric.

15 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I find the picking on BBTB really unbecoming. Particularly for things where he is actually correct, like the post quoted above.  I find the constant pile-ons a lot more distracting than his negativity. Mods, can we tone this down?

I don't know if you are newer here, or just using a newer account. But hearing him year after year after year with negativity, a lot of people are just tired of it. He has always been negative, but with the birth of the CPL, it has been too much. The guy just loves shitting on something that all of us have been excited about for years at every chance he gets

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I find the picking on BBTB really unbecoming. Particularly for things where he is actually correct, like the post quoted above.  I find the constant pile-ons a lot more distracting than his negativity. Mods, can we tone this down?

My point was he was being misleading like a journalist who reports half truths. 

What’s unbecoming? Calling him out when he tries to claim the league is unfolding like he thought it would despite being dead wrong on nearly every assumption he’s made up to the build up of this whole thing? 

And before he comes in trying to play the victim and falsely say how his opinions “shatters their world views” or how this is an “echo chamber”, I will say nobody here had unrealistic expectations of the league, most if not everyone is ecstatic over how things have turned out so far and this is far from an echo chamber, everyone’s opinions and predictions of this league were vastly different and most had an attitude of “I’m excited but let’s see what happens,” 

The only echo chamber is in his head, probably the reason he keeps spouting off the same things over and over again, which is ironically funny since parrot is in his name now.

3 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I think that where @The Real Marc has a point is that if someone irritates you so much you are going to lay into him regularly, better to have just blocked him and be done with it. 

Even then, when people quote BBTB I am almost always reminded why I am happier not reading his posts. And since you can always peek at the odd post anyways, it is a better solution. 

I am sure those who have blocked me feel the same and enjoy the board without having to deal with whatever I do that  irritates them. 

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that where @The Real Marc has a point is that if someone irritates you so much you are going to lay into him regularly, better to have just blocked him and be done with it. 

Even then, when people quote BBTB I am almost always reminded why I am happier not reading his posts. And since you can always peek at the odd post anyways, it is a better solution. 

I am sure those who have blocked me feel the same and enjoy the board without having to deal with whatever I do that  irritates them. 

Agree that not quoting posters who have a high annoyance factor is a good point of courtesy.  I enjoy reading BBTB's posts because in spite of the consistently negative tone of his posts it is good to have a devil's advocate on a site and at least half of his posts have some really good information.  And I genuinely think he wants the best for soccer in Canada, he just has a very specific idea of what sort of league is best for Canada right now (moderation, limited salary cap, more USL1 than USLC, allow MLS feeder clubs).

But I've taken it to heart from some recent posters who have lamented the quoting of his positions and will make a conscious effort not to do so for everyone's enjoyment of the site.

Comment but don't quote.

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Really hope Halifax can carry the momentum from Saturday and have a great crowd but it seems they may suffer from a unknowledgable crowd (which mls teams still suffer from so not a big deal).  Many people probably thought Halifax was eliminated after the last match v Vaughan... even with a video board in 2015 a lot of TFC fans thought they had beat out Montreal at home when they lost on away goals.

Halifax does need to get a video board to keep people informed of upcoming matches, replays etc.  

Still let’s hope that the buzz can build for tonight.  With pubs so close I think they can get a sizeable walk up crowd.

A few points:

They announced we advanced and it was also printed in the local media we advanced. Im pretty sure most people at the game were aware we advanced to the next round

This game will have nothing to do with 'momentum' we have good crowds all year due largely to a solid season ticket base. This game was not included in the season ticket package so right there we lose that 4500+ base. 

There were some major ticketing problems for the event. Tickets were supposed to be offered at the season ticket discounted rate but they were quite a lot more expensive then the rate I paid. On top of that there were other big issues where people were not even able to get tickets. I think everyone now has access to a reduced rate but it has been a mess. 

Kick off time is 6:15 most people are trying to get home from work then not @ pubs. I don't anticipate much of a walk up crowd due to the early weekday start. I think all things considered a crowd of 2000-2500 would be in the ball park of what we could expect tomorrow. 

That being said I think all clubs (CPL, USL, MLS) likely will find it challenging especially in the early rounds to get season ticket holders to pay for additional weekday tickets on top of their season ticket fees to watch the cup games. To me this is an opportunity to offer some big promotions to allows new fans and families to get to some games. I like York 9's idea of 10$ a ticket for everyone all seats. Im not sure it will work but I think its worth trying to fill some seats and bring some new eyes to the club.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

That being said I think all clubs (CPL, USL, MLS) likely will find it challenging especially in the early rounds to get season ticket holders to pay for additional weekday tickets on top of their season ticket fees to watch the cup games. To me this is an opportunity to offer some big promotions to allows new fans and families to get to some games. I like York 9's idea of 10$ a ticket for everyone all seats. Im not sure it will work but I think its worth trying to fill some seats and bring some new eyes to the club.

I'm really happy to see York try some different strategies to see what works.

Unfortunately - yet again - we're forecasting thunderstorms all day tomorrow. :( 

Tonight's crowd in Hamilton - pretty good for a midweek cup game.  Those middle sections look about half-full from what I can see (only the lower half of each section is shown here) and it trails off towards the ends.  Fans on both sides from what I can tell.

If the density stays similar towards the top of each section, I'd guess there's about 900 people in the three sections shown here (capacity ~2200).  Double that for the near side and then add in Barton & the scattered people in other sections - probably over 2000 butts in seats and maybe approaching 2500.

I'm thinking this must've been included in the season ticket packages since there's a not of tickets left on Ticketmaster.

1929990606_canpl20190604a.png.8b4fb230f51d93b6ba1d5cfb954c71b1.png

12 hours ago, narduch said:

I wonder if they can beat their record for worst attendance of 50.

They don't need any tickets sold, the TFC first team has the reserve team so they can play week in week out after graduating from the academy. They play out of the BMO Training ground, not the Ontario Soccer centre anymor, so might as well be closed doors. It's only price da and families of the players plus whoever wants to come out, they don't need to market ticket sales at all! TFC II probably cost 1-2M to run or whatever the number is, the point is: who cares, it fills it's purpose and MLSE has big pockets so their loses don't mean much. Just look at the 905 Raptors in the D-League, this isn't like the Marlies in the AHL

Not even playing out of a proper stadium venue, just the training ground 

Edited by Blackjack15

58 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Tonight's crowd in Hamilton - pretty good for a midweek cup game.  Those middle sections look about half-full from what I can see (only the lower half of each section is shown here) and it trails off towards the ends.  Fans on both sides from what I can tell.

If the density stays similar towards the top of each section, I'd guess there's about 900 people in the three sections shown here (capacity ~2200).  Double that for the near side and then add in Barton & the scattered people in other sections - probably over 2000 butts in seats and maybe approaching 2500.

I'm thinking this must've been included in the season ticket packages since there's a not of tickets left on Ticketmaster.

1929990606_canpl20190604a.png.8b4fb230f51d93b6ba1d5cfb954c71b1.png

Clubs dont release all their tickets on ticketmaster. Just because they’re greyed out doesnt mean they have been sold. 

4 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

They don't need any tickets sold, the TFC first team has the reserve team so they can play week in week out after graduating from the academy. They play out of the BMO Training ground, not the Ontario Soccer centre anymor, so might as well be closed doors. It's only price da and families of the players plus whoever wants to come out, they don't need to market ticket sales at all! TFC II probably cost 1-2M to run or whatever the number is, the point is: who cares, it fills it's purpose and MLSE has big pockets so their loses don't mean much. Just look at the 905 Raptors in the D-League, this isn't like the Marlies in the AHL

Not even playing out of a proper stadium venue, just the training ground 

The league they play in has stadium requirements that must be met for before sanctioning of the league was approved, minimum 1000 seat stadium. It does seem like a pretty poor setup their playing in for the D3 league.

5174 announced for the Forge's cup game according to wikipedia, which looks like it has to be a tickets distributed number:

200g076.jpg

If so given season ticket holders got this game in exchange for the home opener that was made free admission and appear to have been receiving extra comps:

13 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I got the two complimentary tickets, but didn't realize that they had also already allotted me my two season ticket seats. Guess I have to convince a few more friends to come

16 hours ago, gator said:

A fairly good forecast compared to some of the match days we've had;  https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/hourly-weather-forecast/ontario/hamilton?wx_auto_reload=

This was the extra ticket given to STH due to the inaugural match being free, I was also able to secure a couple of complimentary tickets offered by the club, this is a big match and will go a long ways in determining who gets to take on The Caps, I hope there is a good crowd!

that calls into question whether the STH number can really be in the 5500-6000 range without flexpacks also being factored in.

It also means that making direct comparisons between the Cavalry and Forge announced numbers won't make much sense, if the former are not distributing comp tickets. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

17 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I don't know if you are newer here, or just using a newer account. But hearing him year after year after year with negativity, a lot of people are just tired of it. He has always been negative, but with the birth of the CPL, it has been too much. The guy just loves shitting on something that all of us have been excited about for years at every chance he gets

Oh I sparred with LOSF about ethnic clubs and regional leagues before most here had ever seen a Nats game. So I get it - it’s natural to be antsy about year one CanPL when it’s been 35 years since you’ve last watched a Canadian soccer league. Let’s not let  insecurity breed intolerance. This is a discussion forum. If alternative viewpoints and critical analysis are just a little too much too early, start a boosters-only thread or just log out and enjoy the soccer.

Edited to add: Or, follow UT’s approach.

Edited by The Real Marc

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Let’s not let  insecurity breed intolerance. This is a discussion forum. If alternative viewpoints and critical analysis are just a little too much too early, start a boosters-only thread or just log out and enjoy the soccer.

You're missing the point. Insecurity isn't breeding intolerance. It's his behavior, mainly his childish need to pass off opinions as facts that is off putting.

Also, numerous people here, myself included have poked holes into his arguments and given him an opportunity to engage in a debate. However, whenever someone does prove him wrong, he puts that person on ignore. He should be less intolerant and be open to having his views critiqued. Now, before you say "he put you on ignore because you called him a cuck," I will retort with only after he put me on ignore. Him putting me on ignore and not debating has resulted in his cuckold label. 

Edited by Macksam

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are totally right in that I shouldn't have quoted him so that the rest of you that have blocked him don't have to suffer through his inane posts. I 100% respect people's rights to block him or anyone of their choosing and apologize for quoting him. But as I just mentioned in the Saskatoon thread I won't block him just so I can respond to his idiotic comments in a manner I see fit. What can I say...I'm a 53 year old juvenile.

35 minutes ago, Macksam said:

You're missing the point. Insecurity isn't breeding intolerance. It's his behavior, mainly his childish need pass off opinions as facts that is off putting.

Also, numerous people here, myself included have poked holes into his arguments and given him an opportunity to engage in a debate. However, whenever someone does prove him wrong, he puts that person on ignore. He should be less intolerant and be open to having his views critiqued. Now, before you say "he put you on ignore because you called him a ****," I will retort with only after he put me on ignore. Him putting me on ignore and not debating has resulted in his cuckold label. 

And, as long as he is on topic ... so what?

Anyone regaling someone else on the internet with a he-said/she-said of who put who on block first and calling other posters a cuckold is either a 15 year-old, or has the emotional security (and vocabulary) of one. 

Every day, the vast majority of readers disagree with his opinions and dislike his style but seem to contribute to this discussion without petty vendettas and venomous labels . You, and a minority of others, cannot.  That shows us who the problem is.  

2 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

And, as long as he is on topic ... so what?

Anyone regaling someone else on the internet with a he-said/she-said of who put who on block first and calling other posters a cuckold is either a 15 year-old, or has the emotional security (and vocabulary) of one. 

Every day, the vast majority of readers disagree with his opinions and dislike his style but seem to contribute to this discussion without petty vendettas and venomous labels . You, and a minority of others, cannot.  That shows us who the problem is.  

I disagree. That is all.

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Oh I sparred with LOSF about ethnic clubs and regional leagues before most here had ever seen a Nats game. So I get it - it’s natural to be antsy about year one CanPL when it’s been 35 years since you’ve last watched a Canadian soccer league. Let’s not let  insecurity breed intolerance. This is a discussion forum. If alternative viewpoints and critical analysis are just a little too much too early, start a boosters-only thread or just log out and enjoy the soccer.

I can understand where you're coming from. However I joined this community back in 2007, when i finally felt I had a team to support in the soccer world (TFC). Finding this community brought me down the rabbit hole.

I felt the topics and posters in this forum were much more interesting and engaging than what I was finding over at the RPB forums. I began to look forward to national team games more than TFC games after having known next to nothing about the national team for years.

I don't want the constant negativity from him to prevent others from having the same experience. Especially with 6 new teams entering the fray and many more on the way hopefully. I am sure that there are plenty of people around the country that will get drawn into our little Canadian soccer bubble, but for those that haven't been around long enough, dealing with him just won't be worth it. I find myself asking myself why I bother some days, even if I wanted to quit, the muscle memory of hitting the link to the forums every time I open a browser isn't something that goes away over night

Just now, deschamp86 said:

I don't want the constant negativity from him to prevent others from having the same experience.

Honest question: Do you think people who have blocked him, publicly stated they have blocked him, then continue to troll him after blocking him are positively contributing to this forum? How about the ones who use idiotic 4chan language against him to score cheap Internet points?

I understand the frustration with BBTB, like @The Real Marc I've sparred with him here and at other forums going back over a decade now, but it's gotten to the point where every one of BBTB/Ozzie's posts prompt 5-10 responses from mostly the same people shitting all over him, regardless of how valid the arguments are on either side.

It gets annoying fast.