Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Spring Season Attendance

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Is the club organizing transportation from Downtown Victoria?

They do have some buses from some pubs.

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to see if the City of Langford bother with the stand behind the goal, if PFC can't regularly sell out what's there.

With the stand already being there from overseas they might as well set it up and remove the metal bleachers on that end instead if they don't want to go the full 6K yet.

Wooden grandstand meant for that end has a partial roof and better seating.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to see if the City of Langford bother with the stand behind the goal, if PFC can't regularly sell out what's there.

I was told four months ago or more, that the second phase (including moving the Hydro Pole and replacing the pitch) were dependent on hitting certain minimum attendance targets for the season. Was not told what they were but I'm sure we aren't there yet.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:28 PM, ktf said:

Positives- It seems that weather, day, etc aside, PFC can rely on a pretty passionate and knowledgeable base of 2000-2500 fans. Given the size of the stadium, there is still clearly a great atmosphere as well. The ownership group seems willing to stick it out for at least a couple years, and given the salaries, sponsorship, other sources of revenue, if they can get average attendance up to 4k by the end of the year, they may still break even.

The other positive is that acquaintances, with no previous soccer interest and have yet to go, are talking to me about how great the games sounds. They want to come try because there is a "buzz" around the game-day experience. If they know nothing, it seems they know that it is a fun experience.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:59 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Is the club organizing transportation from Downtown Victoria?

Yes, they are currently running a free shuttle from downtown Victoria to the park for ticket holders. Not huge yet, and there have been kinks every game, but especially on the weeknight games it has been great zipping past the Colwood Crawl in the bus lanes.

Edited by ted
grammar

On 5/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, but a question: do you know why they brought in folks from Italy to install modular wooden stands with lovely roofs that only cover part of the stands, leaving a swath open to the rain?

I only noticed it by the way folks were sitting, in a line just covered by the roof in each case. 

Why the hell wouldn't they cover the whole stand they installed, it is really dumb, but only now I saw it.

I had noticed that as well during the Vs Cup match. Took a closer look during the game this weekend and I can't figure it out. The roof seems to be complete but those gaps are still there. I don't know how to explain it other than a mistake or poor planning.

22 hours ago, masster said:

I had noticed that as well during the Vs Cup match. Took a closer look during the game this weekend and I can't figure it out. The roof seems to be complete but those gaps are still there. I don't know how to explain it other than a mistake or poor planning.

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, it was a design choice that had to be approved by the City of Langford whose staff have little or no experience of small stadiums and probably don't want to admit it rains and/or don't believe it's their problem if it does. Add in to this that the City probably wasn't willing to add to the cost by modifying the roof on the existing stand and we end up with something that a designer though was aesthetically pleasing.

I'm more concerned with getting the additional stands and maybe some sort of partial roof over the totally exposed stands eventually.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

CPL in the early going lines up pretty closely with attendances in the USL Championship.  A few outliers at the top, and all the MLS B teams at the bottom, but the CPL sides would all slot in toward the middle of the table.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-usl-championship-attendance/

Year One for CPL, whilst USL has been around for a while. I believe CPL has a much higher opportunity for significant growth of both attendance and revenue if they can succeed in bringing the league into the consciousness of the average Canadian sports fan.

Nice to see where we are sitting today though. For my money we are off to a good start.

Posted (edited)

Looking backwards had you said in 2018 that at this point Halifax will be putting 6,000 throught the turnstiles for their league fixtures, Valour's worst crowd was  4 1/2 thousands and both Cavalry & Pacific were drawing north of 3K you would likely have come in for some sharp words from more than one of your fellow Vs.  Very encouraging but a long season ahead of us yet so plenty of work still to do.

Looking forwards I expect some actual marketing will at worst maintain those number and at best exaggerate them.  In a few markets anyway.  And I can only imagine how a successful Gold Cup is going to help this league, a lack of CPL players on the squad notwithstanding.  Hell, a successful WWC even.  Anything that shines a positive light on Canadian football, if only by deflection, is helpful.

Wishfull thinking, if Valour can build up the 1st of July fixture against York enough their venue has capacity to bring in season topping numbers for the league along with season topping revenue.  Just saying, the potential is there, but they'll  need to work for it and have 5 weeks to do it.  

Here's to The Ladies conquering France, the laddies scarring the Hell out of CONCACAF and CPL grabbing a firm hold of seven markets from coast to bloody coast. 

Cheers.   

Edited by Cheeta

5 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Attendance for Wanderers vs Vaughn announced at 5532. Pretty solid for a weekday game slightly competing with the Mooseheads memorial cup run.

So roughly double York and Calgary's combined attendance tonight ;) 

Posted (edited)

Nothing on the CanPL website about the other two crowds, which is not surprising judging from this:

Not good when even the reasonably priced seats are not selling out. Big problem with the Cavalry is probably the location.

According to Gopherbashi, the actual crowd for York 9 was probably just north of 1000 or so:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nothing on the CanPL website about the other two crowds, which is not surprising judging from this:

Not good when even the reasonably priced seats are not selling out. Big problem with the Cavalry is probably the location.

According to Gopherbashi, the actual crowd for York 9 was probably just north of 1000 or so:

Looking at the photo someone sent me yesterday, I think my estimate is a very generous one.

Very generous.

Posted (edited)

Didn't seem to be a weak draw in Halifax where having 5500 at the game was spectacularly good, and it's interesting to try to figure out why there is such a contrast on this. Think it's a mix of crazily high ticket prices on the part of the Cavalry and York 9 and being viewed as a minor rather than a major sports story in terms of what the local market is used to having access to. Don't think you can blame stadium location in York 9's case although it almost certainly is a significant factor with the Cavalry.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

York9's opposition basically being an amatuer club, non league game on a weekday, no serious marketing, all makes it pretty meaningless to use as an attendance barometer of any sort.

Saturdays CPL home opener for York9 will be meaningful however although weather may likely heavily affect the crowd for that one.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

York9's opposition basically being an amatuer club, non league game on a weekday, no serious marketing, all makes it pretty meaningless to use as an attendance barometer of any sort.

Saturdays CPL home opener for York9 will be meaningful however although weather may likely heavily affect the crowd for that one.

I would say in some cases it would not be a great indicator. However given  the stadium was virtually empty it does raise some red flags. Calgary and Pacific also have raised some red flags (not as red as York 9). After the spring season is done each club will have to sit down and look at the numbers and decide what adjustments they need to make next year or even if a club is viable in their market. 

My gut feeling is Calgary and Pacific may be able to make some adjustments to possibly build their crowds. Pricing adjustments or moving to a new location in the market. However my feeling on 'York' has always been it has to be done perfectly to succeed in that 'market'. Id say the odds of York being around and a successful franchise 5 years out is about 10% max. 

My feeling is Edmonton, Halifax, Winnipeg and Hamilton all have a reasonable base of support. However lots of room to grow and improve for all 4 of those clubs. With any new league there will be growing pains and failures. Im pretty sure York 9 is going to be the biggest of them.

8 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I would say in some cases it would not be a great indicator. However given  the stadium was virtually empty it does raise some red flags. Calgary and Pacific also have raised some red flags (not as red as York 9). After the spring season is done each club will have to sit down and look at the numbers and decide what adjustments they need to make next year or even if a club is viable in their market

This is a very important point.  Everyone's talking about expansion and getting an even number of teams in for next year, when there's no guarantee at all we'll be carrying forward the seven from this season.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

This is a very important point.  Everyone's talking about expansion and getting an even number of teams in for next year, when there's no guarantee at all we'll be carrying forward the seven from this season.

We are nowhere near talking about losing teams. Well, at least we shouldn't be. Realistic attendance projections and business plans should have had numbers like this as a reasonable proposition.

I'm frankly tired of the doom and gloom ********. The smaller clubs should realistically be averaging 3,000-4,000 by the end of the season. Anyone who expects better is smoking something or has an axe to grind.

Interesting how the goalposts shift on here now that reality is replacing aspiration. I was on the receiving end of all kinds of ridicule and at times vile personal abuse on this forum for suggesting that the league should assume attendance of around 3000 initially and that talk of 6000-8000 being the norm was overly optimistic. As things stand at the moment that's looking not too far off now that the initial excitement with home openers is wearing off.

It would be surprising if any franchise at or above that sort of number would throw in the towel unless the investors involved were completely blind to what tends to happen in lower budget pro soccer leagues in North America. The concern would be with any that are significantly under it. As long as there is a net gain in numbers terms on expansion vs departing or relocating strugglers the show goes on and in a worst case scenario they could still relent where having MLS affiliates is concerned, so I'd be very surprised if this league folds any time soon based on what we have seen so far.