Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We'll take 12 of these, please (so beautiful this stadium, Gimnástica de Torrelavega in northern Spain):

Resultado de imagen de estadio torrelavega

Give it time... they just started

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

do you know why they brought in folks from Italy to install modular wooden stands with lovely roofs that only cover part of the stands, leaving a swath open to the rain?

[snip]

Also: I think the final version of the "family" stand on the other end is slated to be covered fully, is that right?

I believe the "family" stand is supposed to get a roof when they actually build it in the second phase which would include moving the hydro pole and building stands on the north side. Right now the tow "end zones" are temporary bleachers, not a proper stand.

As for the partial roof, my opinion (ie I have not talked to anyone about this) is that the design had to go through Mayor Stewie and his team, and they didn't want to pay for or juts didn't like, a full roof that would actually cover those seats.

To be fair, the first 3-10 rows in ANY stadium are usually exposed to the rain at least part of the time.

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

1550 with a nice list of sponsors..great job Blainville

This team, with this cohesion and passion, with all these entities involved, and a great fan base, is about a third of the way to CPL--all you need is  someone, or maybe everyone, to bankroll it.

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That implies that two out of every three seats in the sections being used were filled, which looks a bit dubious from the highlights. Suspect there were plenty of no shows among the season ticket base, so it could still be accurate on paid.

There were a lot of empty seats around me. I'd be surprised if the actual attendance was even much over 50% of the open sections, which would put it well under 4k -- and seriously calls into question the supposed paid attendance number (STH number although never announced -- why not? -- is probably around 2,500, and is is hard to believe that almost half the STHs did not show up).

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but we seem to have transitioned from the Information Age into the Propaganda Age.

^ Was decent up on the northern side of the stand.  The upper rows of my section didn't sell for season passes but were still maybe a little less than half occupied so overall, 2/3 fullish in 104?  To our left 105 is solid and the sections between us and the supporters sections sparser.   People are starting to migrate into those sections from other sections I think though, but that's a ballon effect.  Squeeze here, expand there sort of thing.

Would have thought 4 grand and change myself but again, hard to tell what's going on elsewhere in the stadium.

Problem with IGF is everyone knows there'll always be able to get tickets which creates more of an impulse market than a season ticket/pack market.  On the plus side that means the potential (very real potential) for some big turn outs is there but on the negative side I think it also decreases your base somewhat.    

17 hours ago, MrsC said:

Never going to happen, but that is the dream

What it could look like: will the CPL Champions celebrate like this? 😄 Great vlog!

(This one is especially for @JamboAl).

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

What it could look like: will the CPL Champions celebrate like this? 😄 Great vlog!

Thank you my friend.  I never experienced a pitch invasion (a happy one that is) watching Charlton when I lived in London; made me so happy watching it last night.  I would think that Canadians are too polite and law abiding to do this.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Promotion and relegation is what gives you this.

I've seen them and been on the pitch in lower league playoff rounds, I recall once a preliminary round, not even final round, to go from 4th to 3rd that ended in a penalty shootout--but these were all rather small stadiums with no real security between fans and the field. I go to a lot of games where kids jump on the field at half time to play, the delegates try to keep them off but it's useless.

I honestly think that pro-releg does creates more tension than the simple fact of winning or losing. You can lose a match at home, your rival loses too and you do not relegate after all--and pitch invasion!!

We`'ve all seen images of players being stripped naked on the field by happy fans.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Thank you my friend.  I never experienced a pitch invasion (a happy one that is) watching Charlton when I lived in London; made me so happy watching it last night.  I would think that Canadians are too polite and law abiding to do this.  

It used to happen from what I've seen. Fans invaded the field after the Jays won the 1985 AL East pennant, and of course the pitch looked like a great time in St. John's after Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup. Security was naturally much more lax back then, and King George V Park doesn't exactly look like a fortress for separating fans from the playing surface.

51 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

DH-C-uH8lJ1d8NxcilOYqR8RA498UcK2aiZRQpizvFGC3l8dWQhk-yZNxpdb5eZzYZgp8dyTUxnbmZWVniCQ_B0oQn4UB6s_EOvzKYAUkT97zIn0Asg_wHSKE8LeJjzoSPugQxEhwhW1Zp0tKI5Ibcj8lQ7-LnI_6rbuW97_pHgr_bOiftM18RvOMSPt6Cj89LhWO_Yl82HDNPxKA989xSsye7ntg2VCwcVfHrMfsJBV9ujKKJoylZb8J0ciZhF66BfB7pX4ymfnLLTIWnM4fiyXxR1CM9OassnpkHrN18DzKKY-T6Zu7NSlpdVX29xqPnzCsiMV2Net7eVbXgnHFpz8l62APjV_wyXWHFxhzI7mZiWX9ZzC5ukBnxWIB_nGBopiflnDSFaZ_2sUnJoo8h6uj10BhKTdOjHW_84e03GogXyUy-Ns3P71CkVFVNu1rhaPG8p4okOn14k9KoP56JchUdsR5qkL4x-1yJI_NKUzdNlc6BV-JgxPACLjV_hv_ZTyyhm4-UgtxN360AtEVlvcu-c5os4pszKoCjaKrHY_RMnnxnWYFeX61PnE6WIMWDYBgT-tiIlPFOVd_umykbq8hXnnXVA3DY1R9uI3ESIEVdo50zY7a_MVp8Qm4X7r-s5WZ8wAcHjgCDHqwJ2zyATf_39OtR-l=w689-h918-no

Oh wow.  Your section got a much harsher notice.  Ours was in black ink and didn't mention the police.  We think the smoke that was tossed on the pitch last Saturday game from one or two sections over from 144.  What section are you guys again?

This is what we got in 144.  I guess they figure there is zero chance we jump 20 feet down to the pitch :) No photo description available.

^ We're in 104.   Like I wrote before I don't think there are even 20 season pass holders in the top 14 rows so most everyone who fills up that part of the section will be day tickets.  Got to keep a sharp eye on the tourists!

Ha!  Never mind the tourists, just look at that hooli.  Trouble maker if there ever was one. Just ask my Mum. 

Posted (edited)

Will be interesting to see if the City of Langford bother with the stand behind the goal, if PFC can't regularly sell out what's there. In per capita terms 2500 in Victoria is comparable to a low five figure crowd in Calgary to put what is happening in perspective.

5000+ looked like a stretch for a Victoria team but hopefully they can find ways to attract more of a casual fanbase to get up to more financially sustainable numbers, because being in the 2000-2500 range on average won't pay the bills.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I knew you'd enjoy that! The thing I enjoyed the most, and the main reason I posted it, was the passion of the fans as the game swung back and forth. First the happy delight of the Charlton fans, then the depths of despair and the ecstatic heaving mass of Doncaster fans bouncing up and down at the other end after their goals, and finally delerium for Charlton as the shoot out ends. Great stuff. Football drama at its best.

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Ha!  Never mind the tourists, just look at that hooli.  Trouble maker if there ever was one. Just ask my Mum. 

God I (Truly) hope my husband says this about me :) 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Im not sure about numbers but ive really enjoyed watching the games at Spruce Meadows. Looks great and the supporters seem to be creating a great environment. Stands look pretty full to me. Full marks for the Red Green tifo

Yup. If the tickets were at a price they could fill the mains grandstand if would be incredible. The foot soldiers are absolutely killing it from the supporters section. 

In terms of PFC and their attendance...

I am a little disappointed with the numbers, but, to be fair, they have taken one for the league in terms of early scheduling. That being said, it would obviously be better if we were getting more fans, and it would show more signs of long term sustainability. 

Back to the scheduling, aside from the home opener, none of these games have been played on ideal dates. Our second and CC games were on weeknights with less then ideal weather. This guarentees an empty family section. The game against York may seem like an ideal day, but there are two issues that likely cost them 1,000 or so fans. Firstly, I think for the sake of timing the viewing schedule, they started at 12:30, which is far from ideal in terms of drawing in any walk up crowds. In addition, this is the May long weekend. A weekend in which half of the people of Victoria leave the city to go for the first camp or something of the year. Based on the many season tickets that seemed to be on resale. I actually wouldn't be surprised if paid attendance was actually higher then those who showed. 

All these excuses aside, it can hopefully improve with more exposure, marketing, and better dates. Given the time before our next home game, the day (Sunday), and time (3pm) anything less then 4k would be bad no matter how it is spun. 

Final thoughts...

Positives- It seems that weather, day, etc aside, PFC can rely on a pretty passionate and knowledgeable base of 2000-2500 fans. Given the size of the stadium, there is still clearly a great atmosphere as well. The ownership group seems willing to stick it out for at least a couple years, and given the salaries, sponsorship, other sources of revenue, if they can get average attendance up to 4k by the end of the year, they may still break even. 

Negatives- You still need more paying customers to break even. The stadium location is still not ideal. I am hopeful again that the busing and exposure will help.

Neutral- Langford and the mayor is very supportive, which is probably helping to mitigate costs, as they are handling it. This is great for the team ownership, but is a neutral because if more receptive ears opened up in the downtown, Langford will probably not want to let it go.