2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I guess it depends of who is covering the marketing costs, but Onesoccer, CPL Centre Circle, etc. weren't done for minimal costs.

OneSoccer isn't a CPL project. It's MediaPro's outright, it's not what the league budgets for.

Ok, but if MediaPro are paying the clubs are not. Josh Simpson said quite clearly that MediaPro is covering half their budgets. If you think this is actual cash of $1.5 into their pockets, that's great. I'd be very surprised tho.

That said, it's the same thing. I $3m budget with no media or production costs is at least as good as a $5m budget on your own.

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Ok, but if MediaPro are paying the clubs are not. Josh Simpson said quite clearly that MediaPro is covering half their budgets. If you think this is actual cash of $1.5 into their pockets, that's great. I'd be very surprised tho.

That said, it's the same thing. I $3m budget with no media or production costs is at least as good as a $5m budget on your own.

when i talked with a league official about broadcast, they're plans were way, way lower cost. i don't think they changed that original plan too much once mediapro hopped on board.

Just now, matty said:

when i talked with a league official about broadcast, they're plans were way, way lower cost. i don't think they changed that original plan too much once mediapro hopped on board.

I may be thinking of somebody else, but don't you have some expertise in TV production? I thought you said $50k per match minimum. I've watched a lot of shit, North American soccer over the years and the MediaPro product looks very professional to me. The statement quoted here makes little sense to me. Please explain.

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I may be thinking of somebody else, but don't you have some expertise in TV production? I thought you said $50k per match minimum. I've watched a lot of ****, North American soccer over the years and the MediaPro product looks very professional to me. The statement quoted here makes little sense to me. Please explain.

50k is the min you can get away with an 8k set-up and that was a maybe. i think mediapro is spending at least $80k a game. what i'm mentioning is the cpl's original plan when doing production themselves, they were talking 3 camera which is like 25k

anyways i don't think we should derail more.

cavs did 2k let's talk that

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

No, I think quality TV production is a much bigger deal for advertisers.

you'd think that but attendance and viewership are bigger factors as they gage interest. 

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The $5M figure came up often. Someone from Sherbrooke interested in the league brought up that figure, same for someone in London who deemed CPL too expensive for him.

$5M seems accurate 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

The $5M figure came up often. Someone from Sherbrooke interested in the league brought up that figure, same for someone in London who deemed CPL too expensive for him.

$5M seems accurate 

it came up on the forums a few times (as did other numbers) and was mentioned in a single article. iirc buying into the league was a few million. i could see it being an up front cost but not yearly if the cap is around $750k

1 hour ago, matty said:

it came up on the forums a few times (as did other numbers) and was mentioned in a single article. iirc buying into the league was a few million. i could see it being an up front cost but not yearly if the cap is around $750k

Maybe, maybe not

6 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Promise I won't post on this again, but if I'm sitting back watching the Cavs on TV, deciding whether I want to buy an add board, all I'm thinking is man, this ground looks (and sounds) amazing.

No if your going to buy an ad you want to know how many people it will reach. The buyer may look at the broadcast on one soccer (which has a very very limited viewership) and think it is quality. Then they are going to look at the 80% empty grandstand. Why have a fancy ad that is not going to reach anyone?

Anyway this thread is about attendance. If there are 2000 people in the seats for the teams second game (in history) on a beautiful sunny Wednesday evening something is radically wrong. Pricing? Location? Lack of interest in the sport in Calgary? Bad marketing? Im not saying the Calvary cant be a great success. However something is really broken - and they have to figure out what it is make the adjustments to fix it. 

Cavs attendance was poor considering the size of market but these are weekday matches, most important are the weekend attendance figures.

One other important factor is the concession $ involved and Cavs owners also owning the stadium would give them that revenue stream which other clubs don't all have.

18 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You can't tell from Ticketmaster then because availability there was limited and suggested they would be a lot closer to 10,000. Either a lot of no shows or they deliberately don't show all the unsold ticket inventory to create an impression of scarcity.

Think they should be very happy with that if it was all paid as weeknights in May are probably the lower end of the range. People might need to reconsider their assumptions about season ticket numbers, however.

They arent selling sections in the corners. Also not selling the last half dozen rows of the east stand. Those will always be greyed out. Plus they probably counted actual attendance and not tickets sold. Tickets sold would probably have been over 6k. 

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Cavs attendance was poor considering the size of market but these are weekday matches, most important are the weekend attendance figures.

One other important factor is the concession $ involved and Cavs owners also owning the stadium would give them that revenue stream which other clubs don't all have.

weekday matches are as important for an advertiser paying. board ads, kit sponsors, merch providers would care greatly about what exposure there is.

i think with cavs (and maybe york9 and pfc to some extent) we're going to get a good idea of how a less urban location impacts draws

Edited by matty

Yes but York9 are playing in a facility with a major subway line that is running just minutes away from the stadium with a subway stop minutes away. The stadium they are playing in is in a great spot in terms of public transit almost better than BMO Field actually, you can take the subway straight into the stadium area. With BMO Field subway wise you need to take a bus or streetcar from the subway get to the stadium, however, BMO Field is well connected to the suburbs of Toronto by GO transit though. York9’s stadium is in a good spot public transit wise.

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I think if the leagues is even relatively successful this year, which by early indications it should be, then we will see a lot more large sponsors for next year. For this initial season I was surprised by the lack of large, corporate Canadian sponsorship. Only WestJet, Tim Hortons, and Moosehead really come to mind, while we also have Macron (Italian), VW (German), and MediaPro (Spain) as large foreign investors. I would think we will have a bank (Scotiabank or RBC?), oil and gas (Petro-Canada), insurance (Sunlife/manulife?), telecommunications (Bell/Rogers) just to name a few that might want to start getting involved when they see that it will be successful.

After the VW announcement, I expected there would be a sponsor from each one of those sectors. Perhaps they are taking a wait and see approach. If average attendance can stay around the 5,000 mark, I fully expect CSB to secure those partners for next season. Show them images of the opening day crowds in Victoria and Halifax and you will have companies that want to be a part of that.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Yes but York9 are playing in a facility with a major subway line that is running just minutes away from the stadium with a subway stop minutes away. The stadium they are playing in is in a great spot in terms of public transit almost better than BMO Field actually, you can take the subway straight into the stadium area. With BMO Field subway wise you need to take a bus or streetcar from the subway get to the stadium, however, BMO Field is well connected to the suburbs of Toronto by GO transit though. York9’s stadium is in a good spot public transit wise.

in theory but people also hate going to york u, even now, from toronto and it is, to some extent, in the middle of no where. i'm hopeful with the subway they pull at 3k reg for weekday games. curious if any campus bar will be open to public on game days

Edited by matty

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The key for CPL success will be GROWTH. We start wherever we start and if the league as a whole is a success then even teams that start with lower numbers should grow their fan base.

The MediaPro deal has bought us ten years to make it happen. This is an amazing opportunity.

yep it sure has