Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Incoming low crowd for the Cavalry by the looks of things:

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/cavalry-fc-vs-valour-fc/event/110056656F151AFF

Don't remember ever seeing that many blue dots before.

Not going to check but I don't expect a lot in Victoria tonight. Forecast is for rain for a meaningless game, hopefully the charity aspect brings people in (food drive organized by a well-known local business).

I dont get all the meaningless game talk.  We have all whined, pleaded, demanded that we get our own league and have a pro team in our back yard.  Now its here!!  I've never been able to go to TO, VAN or MTL to see a game...meaningless or not.  But I have been to see the Valour...and it was great, whether they were playing for first place or just to get some revenge on Calgary.  So tonight I want to see someone foul Buscher so hard his cleats are out of style when he wakes up.  GET SOME!!!  

92402bba56c186c7e51bab6b4659f0f8.jpg

a bunch of games left per team and final is already set with not much else to play for..make it a top 4 playoffs and everyone is still fighting..league champs and playoff champs..lets go lets see it starting next year

9 minutes ago, Big_M said:

a bunch of games left per team and final is already set with not much else to play for..make it a top 4 playoffs and everyone is still fighting..league champs and playoff champs..lets go lets see it starting next year

You think Valour have nothing yo play for against Cavalry tonight? 😂😂

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

Oh no, the meaningless match donkeys have infiltrated the CPL!

If you are there to enjoy the football, there is no such thing as a meaningless match...

That seems to be the mentality in Halifax more than it is in the other cities, but even in Halifax the crowd has been thinning out a bit of late. When these games were scheduled they probably envisaged that there would still be a meaningful contest for participation in the Championship games, but that wasn't to be. Rightly or wrongly a significant portion of the potential fanbase will only show up if something is genuinely on the line, so leagues around the world have been adjusting their formats over the years to try to make sure that's usually the case. If this league is going to hang around long term 2000 and change announced, which is probably really closer to 1000 and change actual in some cases isn't going to cut it, so they need to look at what worked well and what didn't and adjust accordingly.

Posted (edited)

There are fundamental issues with a few club (York, Edmonton) and serious learnings from Pacific. 

the number of clubs in “yellow” or “red” concerns me in a 7 club league. 

I hope we keep the cap at 850K, stabilize a  diverse set revenue streams, and sharp our value player recruitment.

Edited by hamiltonfan

On 10/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, Bison44 said:

I dont get all the meaningless game talk.  We have all whined, pleaded, demanded that we get our own league and have a pro team in our back yard.  Now its here!!  I've never been able to go to TO, VAN or MTL to see a game...meaningless or not. 

To the average casual fan, a game played in a league whose title has been decided is meaningless. For us Supporters it was a great game in the battle for "best of the rest" (third place behind the finalists) but pretending it is an easy game to "sell" to casuals is delusional.

If Pacific had been playing for a "playoff" spot, we would have got a larger crowd. That's the reality.

If casual fans think regular season matches are meaningless then the messaging needs to change. They need to be encouraged to enjoy the sport for its own sake, for the atmosphere, for the passion, for the match day occasion and camraderie; not the idea that you might "make the play offs".

Just now, Lofty said:

If casual fans think regular season matches are meaningless...

I think you are misunderstanding the three types of fans (broad generalizations, lots of overlap):

Supporters: us. The people on this forum and our ilk who buy season tickets and cheer through thick and thin attending virtually every game and buy jerseys and hoodies and tons of crap. They watch away games and maybe even travel.

Regulars: Season ticket holders who enjoy the game but miss a few games, may buy a jersey and might watch an away game if it's on.

Casuals: General sports fans who buy the occasional ticket. 

Yes, we need to get people to games so they can experience it and move from Casual -> Regular -> Supporter but come on, you sell Season Tickets for the "beautiful game" aspect, you sell game-day tickets to people who may never have been to a live game in their life. Selling the CASUAL fan on a game that decides nothing is hard in ******* London, England . There is no need to **** on the efforts of clubs in Canada trying to sell a whole new league in a sport that hasn't been professional in many of these towns for decades.

If matches were "meaningless" I would have no reason to watch soccer. I am an FC Edmonton fan and a west ham fan. Neither team has really been anywhere close to winning things in years.

24 minutes ago, Lofty said:

If casual fans think regular season matches are meaningless then the messaging needs to change. They need to be encouraged to enjoy the sport for its own sake, for the atmosphere, for the passion, for the match day occasion and camraderie; not the idea that you might "make the play offs".

This is North America brother.  Playoffs are woven into our DNA.  

Agreed people need to come for the beauty of soccer, but any league that wants to grow needs to reel in a broader fanbase.

We're not arguing about whether or not the games are actually meaningless.  We're arguing about whether enough casual fans don't see enough meaning to attend to the point where it hurts the league.

37 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

This is North America brother.  Playoffs are woven into our DNA.  

Agreed people need to come for the beauty of soccer, but any league that wants to grow needs to reel in a broader fanbase.

We're not arguing about whether or not the games are actually meaningless.  We're arguing about whether enough casual fans don't see enough meaning to attend to the point where it hurts the league.

Sell! I think North American fans are perfectly capable of enjoying the beauty of a football match day experience without thinking about play offs!

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Sell! I think North American fans are perfectly capable of enjoying the beauty of a football match day experience without thinking about play offs!

I didn't even read most of your statement because my eyes were drawn with such excitement and anticipation to that word at the end 😁😉

Seriously though I love your passion and you could very well be right.

I can only say that for myself as a more than casual fan, I am far more on the edge of my seat for this Forge-Cavalry finals than I could ever be for sitting at the top of the table at the end of a season.

The majority of soccer fans in this country don’t follow teams from this continent. MLS’s inability to attract those fans has been their biggest failure, and evidence suggests that league format is a part of it. We shouldn’t ignore that demographic 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Aird25 said:

The majority of soccer fans in this country don’t follow teams from this continent. MLS’s inability to attract those fans has been their biggest failure, and evidence suggests that league format is a part of it. We shouldn’t ignore that demographic 

The MLS in terms of let’s say TV ratings and even general interest is competing against how many leagues ? EPL, Seria A, German League, La Liga and on and on and on just in soccer. What leagues in their own sport does the NHL, NBA , MLB and NFL compete with within their respective sports? The CPL will face the same competition from within its own sport that these other sports don’t have to compete with. So the MLS and CPL both face unique challenges for interest that an NFL or NHL don’t have to compete with. Does say the NHL have to compete with the Swedish Elite hockey league for interest here in North America ? Soccer will always face these challenges for interest no matter if it’s the CPL or MLS . In terms of league structure you need to do something to keep the casuals interested longer whatever that may be . I’m a huge soccer fan nothing compares for me the only sport that matters to me but even I find it hard to go to a TFC game or now a York 9 game when there is nothing left to play for and spend my hard earned money when I could  just stay home and watch games that still matter in the comfort of my own home in leagues far superior than the MLS or CPL in the EPL or Serie A for example.

Edited by SoccMan

Posted (edited)

For this season at least, we have the winners of the Spring and Autumn seasons playing off against each other.   For those who need more than that, that would have to include at least four teams.  Barring some miracle and another team joins by next season without a stadium to play in, that would mean that all you have to do to make the play offs is be mediocre.  That's right, finish mid-table and voilà, here's a playoff.  

So now we're in 1980's NHL 'everyone's a winner!' territory, rewarding all but the last place team in three divisions and all but the last two teams in the other division with a play off series.  If you want meaningless games, that's the way to do it.  

Edited by vancanman

42 minutes ago, vancanman said:

For this season at least, we have the winners of the Spring and Autumn seasons playing off against each other.   For those who need more than that, that would have to include at least four teams.  Barring some miracle and another team joins by next season without a stadium to play in, that would mean that all you have to do to make the play offs is be mediocre.  That's right, finish mid-table and voilà, here's a playoff.  

So now we're in 1980's NHL 'everyone's a winner!' territory, rewarding all but the last place team in three divisions and all but the last two teams in the other division with a play off series.  If you want meaningless games, that's the way to do it.  

That’s the thing how about we use a bit of creativity then? I’m sure there are many on these boards that have jobs where they need to use the creativity side of the brain everyday in their everyday jobs. The problem is that when we hear playoffs we automatically just think of the conventional way that teams qualify for playoffs. You know the top 4 teams after the regular season type of deal qualify for the playoffs. Let’s get creative then we have the opportunity with a brand new spanking new league to create something different. So the goal is to try and keep more teams in the mix until further into the season without taking away from the importance of the regular season when it comes to crowning a champion. Meaning that yes we don’t want say 5 teams making the playoffs sort of thing but we do want more teams playing meaningful games longer into the season than most teams being out of it in late July sort of thing. Moreover, with a Spring and Summer split season it actually offers a lot more ways of being creative than a usual one conventional one season format. So let’s get at it people I know there are a lot of people on these boards that can come up with some good suggestions.