Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

claude robillard was such a hard sell that it was packed with 10k+

After their Champions League run? 

People will tell you that Impact barely never made the news outside of their 2009 Champions league run and once they moved to MLS.

Edited by Ansem

Part of the problem in Edmonton is that the Eskimos and the local gridiron football community view it as their stadium because the Eskimos train there, and two CJFL teams and high schools play their games there. The gridiron people are not willing to see Clarke Stadium fully retrofitted for soccer in a manner that might work better for FCE, and were not willing to provide FCE with a favourable deal where access to game day revenues steams were concerned. Not sure if that last bit is still the case after the negotiations that took place early last year.

The city council have stated that FCE will have to fill Clarke stadium to capacity regularly before they will consider funding a larger SSS and the Faths don't appear eager to fund something new themselves. No easy answers on this in other words, so Edmonton provides an example of how some teams are likely to plod along for many years going nowhere fast on attendance rather than following the Halifax trajectory, especially if like FCE they manage to severely antagonize youth clubs along the way by pushing the academy angle aggressively, making group sales harder to do than they might have been.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

claude robillard was such a hard sell that it was packed with 10k+

Yes, Claude Robillard was always packed before their champions league run.

Edited by Stanley
More info

People worried about Edmonton don’t know what is actually going on in the community. The Edmonton clubs don’t resent the academy. And Edmonton is updating their academy setup to better support all top players in the city. As far as the stadium atmosphere, it may seem empty, but the fans are very engaged. The attendance is not super high, but many season ticket holders just don’t show up all the time. It is a weird situation, tickets are selling, and the club is growing, it just isn’t “sexy” like Halifax. The management in Edmonton is very knowledgeable and the club will continue to grow. Having been a fan of the club for years I can tell you that there is more interest this year than any year.

As usual, Ozzie the Parrot / BBTB is so full of **** I can give him an enema and stuff him in a matchbox.

No, the SIROCCO code was not the sole reason why Cavalry drew almost 4000. Don't get me wrong, the code helped convince some who were on the fence, but there is something really great brewing in Calgary. 

The club is generating a significant buzz in the city. They have been marketed well, they have the perfect sized ground for CPL that has a feel that satisfies the traditionalists, they have a good team to watch once people get in the grounds, they have the local sports media on board, and a front office who is willing to listen to supporters and will correct mistakes (of which there have been many in year 1). And I would argue the most important thing going is the atmosphere that those of us in the 200s is drawing more and more people to games. It's not just a soccer game, it's a good time regardless of who you are. People who go to games come back.

Edmonton has the same perfect conditions for a game 24 hours ago and draws significantly less. With a club that's been around since 2010. 

Worth noting that at no point did I state that the SIROCCO code was the sole reason that Cavalry drew 4000. It also should have been clear from the phrasing that the issue in Edmonton I referred to was something that happened years ago when FCE was starting up and was at roughly the same stage Halifax is now.

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

3968 in Calgary:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/22/canada/canadian-premier-league/cavalry/canada-pacific-fc/2991901/

The $20 SIROCCO tickets maybe helped shift some expensive seats.

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

As usual, Ozzie the Parrot / BBTB is so full of **** I can give him an enema and stuff him in a matchbox.

No, the SIROCCO code was not the sole reason why Cavalry drew almost 4000. Don't get me wrong, the code helped convince some who were on the fence, but there is something really great brewing in Calgary. 

You said the exact same thing, in very different ways.

17 hours ago, BFBF said:

People worried about Edmonton don’t know what is actually going on in the community. The Edmonton clubs don’t resent the academy. And Edmonton is updating their academy setup to better support all top players in the city. As far as the stadium atmosphere, it may seem empty, but the fans are very engaged. The attendance is not super high, but many season ticket holders just don’t show up all the time. It is a weird situation, tickets are selling, and the club is growing, it just isn’t “sexy” like Halifax. The management in Edmonton is very knowledgeable and the club will continue to grow. Having been a fan of the club for years I can tell you that there is more interest this year than any year.

I hope this is the situation. It has be a weird situation for fans to be very engaged but don't want to show up all the time. 

FCE belongs in the same bucket as PFC & York9 except I worry more about FCE because they don't seem to be on any path to improve their stadium, play a style that is hard to watch and have only 2 notable players.

HFX, Valour, Cavalry & Forge are all in the sexy camp. Still lots of improvement needed but done a lot of things right off the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No crowd number so far from Halifax:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/28/canada/canadian-premier-league/hfx-wanderers/fc-edmonton/2991902/

But looked full enough to be announced as a sell out.

Crowd was slightly smaller then normal for Saturday. Standing room was only about 2 deep instead of 4 deep.

However under the circumstances the dedication of the Wanderer fan is second to none. However today there was evidence that some of our patience is starting to crack. This is simply not good enough.

There's an unusually clear picture of both sides of THF (only briefly for the three tier side, but much longer for active part of the lower bowl of the two tier side), around 308 seconds into the latest Forge highlights:

Judge for yourselves if the active sections look around 55% full as the announced number implies.

On the bright side, all the orange jerseys (like the sea of blue on the far side in Halifax during Saturday's game) shows there is a hardcore that's really into it and is buying the merchandise, which will be doing no harm to the leagues revenues as there should be a large profit margin on those. That's something you definitely didn't see 30 years ago with the CSL.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's an unusually clear picture of both sides of THF (only briefly for the three tier side, but much longer for active part of the lower bowl of the two tier side), around 308 seconds into the latest Forge highlights:

Judge for yourselves if the active sections look around 55% full as the announced number implies.

On the bright side, all the orange jerseys (like the sea of blue on the far side in Halifax during Saturday's game) shows there is a hardcore that's really into it and is buying the merchandise, which will be doing no harm to the leagues revenues as there should be a large profit margin on those. That's something you definitely didn't see 30 years ago with the CSL.

Or is it people who simply are wearing their free jerseys from the season ticket promotion?  lol

I cant imagine many people paying 120$ for a tiny piece of fabric..... 

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Or is it people who simply are wearing their free jerseys from the season ticket promotion?  lol

I cant imagine many people paying 120$ for a tiny piece of fabric..... 

That is exactly what it is, I never would have paid that cash for a jersey, it was included with my season ticket which was a great idea, I wonder what they'll do next season?

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's announced attendance which never matches up with bums in the seats for pro sports, looked they had some rain as the rain gear was worn and saw umbrellas in the crowd as well. Problem with TH Field is there's no roof so bad weather will result in more no shows.

In their new configuration next year crowd will look much better on the broadcasts and also a better atmosphere, good on them for making the change.

Edited by CDNFootballer

1 hour ago, gator said:

That is exactly what it is, I never would have paid that cash for a jersey, it was included with my season ticket which was a great idea, I wonder what they'll do next season?

I bought the home and the away! Although I did get a decent STH discount.

dumb2.jpg

12 hours ago, gator said:

In Halifax there is no jersey promotion with the season ticket renewal  :(

Have to admit that's not a surprise though wasn't really expecting that promotion again this year.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:04 AM, grasshopper1917 said:

In Halifax there is no jersey promotion with the season ticket renewal  :(

Have to admit that's not a surprise though wasn't really expecting that promotion again this year.

I got my renewal notice for Forge, no jersey next season but there is a years subscription to One Soccer!