Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I always provide a url, so for completeness:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/18/canada/canadian-premier-league/hfx-wanderers/forge/2991881/

A 5826 announced crowd that genuinely looked like 5000+ in the highlights with relatively few season ticket holder no shows due to the awkward ko time.

That shows that weeknight games can work OK, in markets where fan interest is strong.

I think at the end of the day its ok to have some weekday matches sprinkled in. There are many people in today's society that are stuck working most weekends so its nice to give them a chance to get to a few evening games mid week.

In Halifax generally our Saturday games draw a little better but I have talked to many who also enjoy the weekday matches as the evening out Wednesday breaks up the week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mid week thing seems like it will be a bigger problem for small markets or stadiums located outside of metro areas. Mid week games are pretty routine ..NHL NBA MLB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that school is back on York U I expect the attendance will be significantly higher. YorkU is a ghost town during the summer. 3900 is a very good number, hopefully they build from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fury picture above is a hint at how seriously you should take some of these numbers. The Fury tend to use discount season ticket sales through youth clubs to pad their stats and that leads to unusually low crowds when the youth soccer types don't show up. From what I saw on Reddit during the game there was a suggestion that a lot of free tickets had been distributed amongst York students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

From what I saw on Reddit during the game there was a suggestion that a lot of free tickets had been distributed amongst York students.

The Impact gave tickets away too to reach 10 000 last night 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch for the Impact and Fury - while HFX continues to shine.

I think it’s inevitable that Montreal will join CPL as that just isn’t sustainable... and in a cup final against your rival really pathetic. 

As for Ottawa, I’m told by those in the know that the entire issue is the affiliations with TFC and Montreal.  The team wants to hang onto those else they will certainly make a tough loss.  Likewise, OSEG doesn’t want to put effort into recruiting/scouting/academies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ouch for the Impact and Fury - while HFX continues to shine.

I think it’s inevitable that Montreal will join CPL as that just isn’t sustainable... and in a cup final against your rival really pathetic. 

As for Ottawa, I’m told by those in the know that the entire issue is the affiliations with TFC and Montreal.  The team wants to hang onto those else they will certainly make a tough loss.  Likewise, OSEG doesn’t want to put effort into recruiting/scouting/academies.

 

I was pretty surprised at how sparse the attendance was at the V Cup game last night.  I haven't been following MLS so am not sure what kind of support Montreal is getting in general, but this is the final of our national championship against your biggest rival.  If you can't generate some interest for that, it seems like you must be in trouble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always been quite low key even for finals at BMO Field. There were around 15,000 announced last year, for example, which puts it in Argos and CMNT sort of territory on fan interest in a Toronto context rather than an MLS home game. What probably doesn't help is the perception that weakened teams are likely to be fielded because of the CanCon angle and MLS playoffs being the main priority, and beyond that anything linked to the CSA tends to be viewed with derision by a lot of soccer people especially if they still have strong allegiances elsewhere on national team loyalties.

The priorities of most people on this board such as CMNT comes first on national team loyalties regardles of where your ancestors were from originally, or most interest should be on Canadian domestic pro teams rather than overseas ones, are not necessarily the mainstream ones in Canadian soccer at the grassroots level. A decade or two back it very much placed you in weirdo territory. I think that's slowly changing and hopefully after another generation it will definitely no longer be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These voyageur cup games are not apart of season ticket packages so I think that's the main reason for their low turnouts when compared to MLS games. 

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

These voyageur cup games are not apart of season ticket packages so I think that's the main reason for their low turnouts when compared to MLS games. 

They are part of the TFC season ticket package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, narduch said:

For the first series

I think the final is as well only because they crashed out of the CCL early

The VC games were always part of the season ticket package.  The first series of CCL is usually part of the package, subsequent rounds you need to buy tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the structure is now there in the nik of time. Now we just need CPL teams to grow in to the competition to spice it up because it's a bit predictable atvtgis point. Takes time and I thought the energy in the game was great but only watched the first half 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the structure is now there in the nik of time. Now we just need CPL teams to grow in to the competition to spice it up because it's a bit predictable atvtgis point. Takes time and I thought the energy in the game was great but only watched the first half 

We also need all MLS to enter at the Quarter finals. Allows for higher chances of upsets

Fury should have to start in the first round

Edited by narduch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, narduch said:

For the first series

I think the final is as well only because they crashed out of the CCL early

TFC usually gives 2 V cup games in the ST package and since they only entered this year's competion in the semis the finals are included. Last year you had to buy the tickets for the finals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigger issue for York 9 attendance would be Saturday afternoon games. In Ontario the kids under 12 participate in what they call festivals. These events take place Saturday mornings and early afternoon. A friend od mine's son's team was asked to participate in the game opening ceremonies at a York 9 game and only 4 kids(parents) opted to participate. Also, he is given comp tickets on a regular basis.

Now that the 'summer' is over we'll see if it makes a difference.

Edited by to70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Sundays looks like a better day for CPL in my opinion.

Saturdays are good too.

Wednesdays are bad ideas in my opinion. The league should be avoiding playing midweek

When your season is limited to 27 weekends, some of which are unavailable for a variety of reasons, and you have 28 league matches, some midweek matches are unavoidable -- a situation exacerbated this season by the odd number of teams, meaning that each weekend, one team doesn't play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lofty said:

When your season is limited to 27 weekends, some of which are unavailable for a variety of reasons, and you have 28 league matches, some midweek matches are unavoidable -- a situation exacerbated this season by the odd number of teams, meaning that each weekend, one team doesn't play.

Season should be less compressed. Start the season beginning of April instead of end of april

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Just so we can all agree that it's not just CPL using distributed ticket numbers, this was an attendance of 3200 last night for the Fury against the Rowdies.

Who disagreed with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's always been quite low key even for finals at BMO Field.

Yes, two years ago was a very low-key affair at BMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Season should be less compressed. Start the season beginning of April instead of end of april

Maybe less games. Still snow storms and frozen fields at the beginning of April. 

Winnipeg still has feet of snow don't they???   :D

If you think crowds are small on a Wednesday in June? Try a snowstorm April 10....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Maybe less games. Still snow storms and frozen fields at the beginning of April. 

Winnipeg still has feet of snow don't they???   :D

If you think crowds are small on a Wednesday in June? Try a snowstorm April 10....

Montreal winters are just as brutal.

TFC played twice in March and Montreal just got told not to expect away games preventing them from hosting in March.

Perhaps have the games in BC & Southern Ontario hosting, which will be easier when another BC team joins and perhaps Laval.

I read an article where a player was saying that the season should be played over more months. The quality is obviously affected by this compressed schedule and the traveling.

Can't ignore that either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...