Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

 

I believe we are counting paid attendance.  Forge have yet to register a home crowd.

 

Forge had paid attendance at their first game. There are several thousand season ticket holders who already paid for tickets before the rest of the seats were filled with giveaways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RS said:

Forge had paid attendance at their first game. There are several thousand season ticket holders who already paid for tickets before the rest of the seats were filled with giveaways.

True season seat holders are instead getting the first Voyaguer Cup game in Hamilton as part of season seat package

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

Forge had paid attendance at their first game. There are several thousand season ticket holders who already paid for tickets before the rest of the seats were filled with giveaways.

 

1 hour ago, Hybred said:

True season seat holders are instead getting the first Voyaguer Cup game in Hamilton as part of season seat package

The number of season ticket holders I have heard is between 5 and 6 thousand, so more than just several thousand paid seats.

And then as @Hybred mentioned we as season ticket holders get 15 home games for the price of 14 as part of our package, with the first V Cup match making up that free 15th.

But @Winnipeg Furyis 100% correct that Valour's first home game should stand as the highest paid attendance thus far. Here's hoping we can get to 10000 at some point in Hamilton (doubtful tonight on a weekday night though), and maybe Valour can get to 12 or so in nicer weather, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that 1st Valour attendance is the highest of this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no doubt Hamilton will surpass 10000 fans, as I believe you have more season ticket holders than Valour.

I'm assuming  Forge season ticket holders did not pay for the first game, so paid attendance should be NA.

 

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matty said:

forge vs pfc in hamilton 5,861

You can't tell from Ticketmaster then because availability there was limited and suggested they would be a lot closer to 10,000. Either a lot of no shows or they deliberately don't show all the unsold ticket inventory to create an impression of scarcity.

Think they should be very happy with that if it was all paid as weeknights in May are probably the lower end of the range. People might need to reconsider their assumptions about season ticket numbers, however.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the pattern holds up, for next season clubs are going to ask for less midweek games and, as a consequence, a slightly longer season. It makes sense to me, since we've played the beautiful game in snow already or at near 0, we could handle a week earlier and a week later--to ensure better attendances on weekends throughout the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was freezing again unfortunately I am sure some people didn't come because of the weather never mind it was a Wed night. But still pleasantly surprised with the 6k turnout. The stand shown on TV was quite a bit less full on the other side it was packed up quite a bit more.

Edited by Hybred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to sound like I'm not following these numbers or this thread closely, but I do think attendance can be a red herring elsewhere -and probably here. We believe the operating budgets are around $5m annually at this point. We've been told by Josh Simpson that MediaPro is covering approximately half of this. The $5m budget makes sense in this context as we know the deal was 10 years/$200m. Whether this is cash or expenses paid directly, I don't think matters. The bottom line is that clubs have about $2,500,000 to cover to break even and survive. Even if this was all on attendance (which it's not because we have Volkswagen, Macron, West Jet, etc. to provide other revenue streams/cover costs) that's like 125,000 paid per team at $20 a ticket with no merchandise or other game day revenue. So 8,000-9,000 per game average worst case scenario.

I don't expect we'll see the league average 8-9k per match, but I think 4-5k will happen. And I think everyone in the league is ok with that. I'm sure there will be some losses, but at the end of year 1 nobody will be suffering so much that they won't be in a position to feel like they can improve in year 2 as well as provide a model for new clubs to enter the league.

 

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't want to sound like I'm not following these numbers or this thread closely, but I do think attendance can be a red herring elsewhere -and probably here. We believe the operating budgets are around $5m annually at this point....

If the budgets were that high, we would be seeing some much more high profile signings. I suspect that was the number for year one with the league entry fee (what's going to be the expansion fee from now on) factored in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If the budgets were that high, we would be seeing some much more high profile signings. I suspect that was the number for year one with the league entry fee (what's going to be the expansion fee from now on) factored in.

I don't mean salary. I mean total budget for the club. I would guess the salary is sub $1m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't mean salary. I mean total budget for the club. I would guess the salary is sub $1m.

the budgets are not likely that high as the $200m was being shared with the csa. it's also an amount that would drop with more teams

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the leagues is even relatively successful this year, which by early indications it should be, then we will see a lot more large sponsors for next year. For this initial season I was surprised by the lack of large, corporate Canadian sponsorship. Only WestJet, Tim Hortons, and Moosehead really come to mind, while we also have Macron (Italian), VW (German), and MediaPro (Spain) as large foreign investors. I would think we will have a bank (Scotiabank or RBC?), oil and gas (Petro-Canada), insurance (Sunlife/manulife?), telecommunications (Bell/Rogers) just to name a few that might want to start getting involved when they see that it will be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think if the leagues is even relatively successful this year, which by early indications it should be, then we will see a lot more large sponsors for next year. For this initial season I was surprised by the lack of large, corporate Canadian sponsorship. Only WestJet, Tim Hortons, and Moosehead really come to mind, while we also have Macron (Italian), VW (German), and MediaPro (Spain) as large foreign investors. I would think we will have a bank (Scotiabank or RBC?), oil and gas (Petro-Canada), insurance (Sunlife/manulife?), telecommunications (Bell/Rogers) just to name a few that might want to start getting involved when they see that it will be successful.

I worry of draws are under 3k in Calgary that'll dampen interest from other sponsors. I would just add Nike is a sponsor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matty said:

the budgets are not likely that high as the $200m was being shared with the csa. it's also an amount that would drop with more teams

I believe the magic behind the SUM model that CSB is copying is that you acquire the national team rights at a low cost from a not-for-profit entity and then leverage those rights to pump money into the league.

I don't have time to dig up evidence (I mean random internet hearsay), I'm pretty confident the $5m budget is accurate. I don't see how the player budget could be much less than $1m. Travel has to be $500k at least. Match day costs have to be significant in most stadiums. Then you have the staff, marketing, etc. This has to add up to at least $2,500,000.

You Matty, somewhere, laid out the costs of TV production. Each match has a very high standard thus far. My guess is that MediaPro picks up this cost and estimates the FMV to be $150,000-$200,000 per match or $2,500,000 per club per season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the leagues business model seems relatively solid so far, and the losses (at least for some teams), may not be so bad. I was fortunate enough to be able to study the consolidation of professional sports in North America and look at the CFL in particular, but the one thing that typically came up in terms of sustainability, was attendance to player salary. 

Obviously there are so many variables in terms of expenses and revenue sources, but typically (and to simplify it massively) if you can look at profit from home attendance and compare it to the salary costs you can determine the sustainability. So the CPL has a 1 million player salary cap I believe (1.5 was also mentioned, but I think the extra 500k was for total staff costs as well). 

So going outside the CPL for a minute, you can see why a team like the Maple Leafs are so successful. They sell out every game, and easily clear about 200 CAD per ticket (This is cutting out the expenses of rnning the game). So over the season...

19,000 X 200 X 41=$155,800,000- Basically double player salaries.

Comparatively, the Panthers average only 14,000/game, and practically give tickets away. I would say 40/game clearance could be high. 

14,000 X 40 X 41= 22,960,000... This is well below the NHL Salary floor

The recently failed Alliance of American Football is another example. Every player earned 83,000 and they had rosters of 52 (4,316,000). However, they had only 5 home games, and attendance was around 15,000 league wide. Single tickets range from 15 to 175. So assuming they were clearing even 40 per ticket (which given the cavernous nature of all the stadiums used and increased cost). They were looking at 3 million from tickets at best. Looking at that it is no surprise they pulled out, even with a TV deal.

Comparatively, the CPL seems to have reasonable projections for most teams. 

If Pacific FC can average 4,500, which is reasonable given the summer schedule and they earn around 20 dollars per ticket. That puts it around 1,350,000, which covers player salaries for sure.

Halifax looks like they will have 6k every game, which projects to 1.8 million. 

I could do similar projections for Forge or Valour, but I think their early showing and season ticket holders put them at least in a similar range to Halifax. 

Cavalry is a curious case, as the cost of the tickets could make the profit rate higher/ ticket. So if they average only 3,000 all year, but clear 30 per ticket, they would still be in the same range as PFC with cheaper seats.

The main point is, it is early, but given how they have set up the salary cap and have marketed the league, it seems sustainable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I believe the magic behind the SUM model that CSB is copying is that you acquire the national team rights at a low cost from a not-for-profit entity and then leverage those rights to pump money into the league.

I don't have time to dig up evidence (I mean random internet hearsay), I'm pretty confident the $5m budget is accurate. I don't see how the player budget could be much less than $1m. Travel has to be $500k at least. Match day costs have to be significant in most stadiums. Then you have the staff, marketing, etc. This has to add up to at least $2,500,000.

You Matty, somewhere, laid out the costs of TV production. Each match has a very high standard thus far. My guess is that MediaPro picks up this cost and estimates the FMV to be $150,000-$200,000 per match or $2,500,000 per club per season.

$3m range is what'd I'd guess personally as player budgets have been suggested at under $1m and travel is likely discounted. In addition you have to remember at the current time there are 9 parties in the league.

If the tleague are getting say $125m from MediaPro then they're each getting about $1.5m, this number would decrease with each expansion as well.

Marketing for some teams has been minimal and some salaries have been suggested as low as $10k for USports.

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...