Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I'm seeing in Ticketmaster, compared to what I've seen in advance of previous games, it looks to me like Valour ticketed attendance today and on Monday will likely be around 5000.  I'm predicting actual bums in seats to be higher on Monday though.  This city is empty this weekend, and I'm seeing lots of regulars saying they can't make it today.  

This is totally off topic but where do Winnipeger's go to get out of the city? Do they head up to Northern Manitoba? Or in all diferent directions?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

This is totally off topic but where do Winnipeger's go to get out of the city? Do they head up to Northern Manitoba? Or in all diferent directions?

People say they're going to "the lake" but that can mean a variety of things. There are lots of cottages and beaches around the southern basin of Lake Winnipeg and to a lesser extent Lake Manitoba, but probably the majority head east to cottages in Whiteshell Provincial Park, or into Ontario around Lake of the Woods and the thousands of other lakes in the area. There are cabins around most of the lakes in the southern part of the province, but the big lakes and the Whiteshell/NWO are the biggest destinations.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

Based on what I'm seeing in Ticketmaster, compared to what I've seen in advance of previous games, it looks to me like Valour ticketed attendance today and on Monday will likely be around 5000.  I'm predicting actual bums in seats to be higher on Monday though.  This city is empty this weekend, and I'm seeing lots of regulars saying they can't make it today.  

Also not the nicest weather for today's game.

7 hours ago, MrsC said:

That was an exceptionally good prediction!

Also correct on there being a lot of no shows as the active sections of the lower bowl are clearly well below the ~70% capacity that the announced number implies. Hopefully there will be a lot more filled seats on Monday once people return from the cottage. Was skeptical on summer weekends being highly problematic with a soccer as opposed to a CFL demographic but this game appears to have proved it.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Also correct on there being a lot of no shows as the active sections of the lower bowl are clearly well below the ~70% capacity that the announced number implies. Hopefully there will be a lot more filled seats on Monday once people return from the cottage. Was skeptical on summer weekends being highly problematic with a soccer as opposed to a CFL demographic but this game appears to have proved it.

If the team had been even half decent I think we would have seen the attendance rebound a bit in Sept/Oct, once cottage season is over. But frankly the team is doing so badly (one home win all season!) that I suspect we have reached the point where it will affect attendance, possibly significantly. The casual walk up crowd probably aren't going to have much interest in coming out to watch a major loser just playing out the string. Conversely, if Valour had been chasing the Fall title I think we would have seen some bumper crowds and could possibly have even eclipsed the home opener. Sigh. When it comes to attendance, results matter.

Looking at Pacific home attendance, and comparing with what the baseball team playing at Royal Athletic Park in central Victoria get out: always a smaller crowd. For a key playoff game they got just over 2000 a few days ago. So even arguing that the facility is set up for baseball, soccer would probably double that if Pacific were there. 

In this sense, we have to assess Pacific attendance positively, as it outdraws the other sports draw in the summer (albeit essentially high level amateur), even being in a far inferior location.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

I think the Whiteshell and Winnipeg Beach are quite popular. Not too far and there are lots of smaller lakes in and around the Whiteshell.

I think some people go to Kenora too, although it is a longer drive.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

There is also Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park which is a 3 hr drive to the West.  Pembina Valley to the Southwest as well.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looking at Pacific home attendance, and comparing with what the baseball team playing at Royal Athletic Park in central Victoria get out: always a smaller crowd. For a key playoff game they got just over 2000 a few days ago. So even arguing that the facility is set up for baseball, soccer would probably double that if Pacific were there. 

I would suggest a 30-50% bump in in attendance if we were at RAP.  Harbourcats have also had several years to engage with the city and build a ticket base. I am pretty positive for the future as more locals realize the team and the league is here to stay.

My theme/meme/hashtag for the end of the season will be around "See you next year". A promise from the fans to return and keep supporting. A promise fro the team to keep playing. A promise from the league to still be running. #seeyounextyear

22 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Winnipeg 19/08/19

Included a thousand or two give-aways due to the rescheduling so keep that in mind.

Impressive attendance in Winnipeg regardless of a possibly a few more giveaways for this Monday night game (which most teams would do in any league).

Thing with giveaway's is, many free tickets go unused, but the crowd looked like a pretty good turnout on the broadcast.

Attendance in Winnipeg this season is definitely a success story but on this Monday night I suspect the actual number was around 4k. Lots of empty seats in sections that are normally much fuller. But those who were there definitely brought the noise! It was a good night!

8 hours ago, Lofty said:

Attendance in Winnipeg this season is definitely a success story but on this Monday night I suspect the actual number was around 4k. Lots of empty seats in sections that are normally much fuller. But those who were there definitely brought the noise! It was a good night!

Lots of empty seats in my section as well, but those are still paid season ticket holders that count towards attendance.

Moving the date of the game impacted my families attendance.  Actual number was 6300 plus.  Great attendance.  

22 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

What the membership number for the LSBs? How does this compare to last season?

Not sure TBH. I feel like we are about double from the people who hang with us in the stands at at watch parties but we also sold several memberships to people to people off-island who just want to be part of it.

Does anyone follow the Croatian league closely? With David's Gent playing Rijeka this week I did a little looking into the team and was surprised to see that they only attract slightly over 4,000/game. Which is actually ahead of Dinamo Zagreb, who is by far their most successful club. For last season their league attendance was 4179 and including all competitions was 6344 (6 Champions league and 10 Europa League matches)

The Croatian league is a 10 team league and last season the average attendance was only 2732, nearly 2000 less than CPL currently attracts. In fact, in the last 10 seasons they have only broken the 3000 barrier 1 time. Meanwhile they produce superstar players and have one of the top national teams in the world.

Looking back at Zagreb, despite have a modest attendance their squad value is listed at 84 million and last season had a transfer income of +28 million. 

Perhaps attendance shouldn't be the primary focus of success and we should look at player movement. If a team like Pacific can develop some of their young players than can actually be more sustainable than HFX or Valour and also be more beneficial in providing players for the national team. It will be interesting in the next 10+ years to analyze attendance figures as well as developmental trends.