Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

At this point the team doesn't really need that World Cup expansion 

It never did, but the City was never going to turn down free federal money to significantly upgrade its property.

14 hours ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

This. I'm a season ticket holder as well, and I haven't exactly been blown away by the on-field product this year. The team is a bit better, and their playoff chances are better, but they are blowing chances for easy points, just like last year. Much of the sting is missing from their offence this season.

The after-market is just about completely dead. It is very difficult to move tickets to games I can't make, without giving away the tickets outright. Barring any huge promotions, I will probably ditch my TFC seasons and retain my Y9 seasons. I can still buy TFC tickets for the odd game next year.

I think its just due to the team sucking last year they had to lose season ticket holders. Didn’t they increase the price too? York9 might take away a few hundred fans. The Blue Jays have lost about 20,000 fans per game in two years because the team is awful. Toronto is a bit of a bandwagon city. If TFC were in first place I’m sure they would be getting 26000 fans per game. 

The Raptors probably took lots of fans money so they had less to spend on other teams. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think its just due to the team sucking last year they had to lose season ticket holders. Didn’t they increase the price too? York9 might take away a few hundred fans. The Blue Jays have lost about 20,000 fans per game in two years because the team is awful. Toronto is a bit of a bandwagon city. If TFC were in first place I’m sure they would be getting 26000 fans per game. 

The Raptors probably took lots of fans money so they had less to spend on other teams. 

TFC season tickets rose in most cases, though my seasons were kept at the same rate. I doubt the decline in attendance resulted from ticket prices going up - more a result of the decline in the team's performance, as you suggest.

I bolded the above part because I feel like most cities are bandwagon cities with respect to their established sports teams. Teams that have prolonged spells of mediocre or lousy play tend to feel it at the gate. The exceptions to this rule seem to be long established teams long established leagues in big markets - i.e. Leafs, Knicks.

In Toronto's case (and I'm sure this pattern shows up elsewhere as well), when teams do very well for a period of time, as was the case with both TFC and the Blue Jays not long ago, the bar is raised for the average fan. When a highly-competitive team all of a sudden experiences a drop-off in play, fan interest tends to dry up quickly.

CanPL teams definitely appear to be able to draw better against MLS teams even when there are ridiculously high ticket prices involved. Think people really need to drop the mindset in which the two leagues are bitter enemies and try to envisage a future where they are able to work together in a way that strengthens Canadian soccer overall.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:19 AM, Stanley said:

I don't remember him being so unhinged.

My only encounter with him was once when he butted into a thread just to swear at me.  Admittedly, the topic was something contentious like whether sandwiches should be cut horizontally or diagonally, and he stuck his nose in to tell me to f*** off.

23 minutes ago, vancanman said:

My only encounter with him was once when he butted into a thread just to swear at me.  Admittedly, the topic was something contentious like whether sandwiches should be cut horizontally or diagonally, and he stuck his nose in to tell me to f*** off.

If you cut your sandwiches horizontally, you CAN **** off!!!!!  😛

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think people really need to drop the mindset in which the two leagues are bitter enemies and try to envisage a future where they are able to work together in a way that strengthens Canadian soccer overall.

LOL.

There you go again just totally making **** up.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I agree.  I was on the side of reason in that debate!

Edit:  I just read that a second time and laughed all over again.  Thank you.

Edited by vancanman

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

For the record, I don't think sandwiches should be cut at all :)

I take it you're not part of the cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off crowd.

20 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I take it you're not part of the cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off crowd.

I have Italian heritage. 

I'm part of the mortadella with provolone crowd

3 hours ago, narduch said:

LOL.

There you go again just totally making **** up.

I to am wondering who has this aforementioned mind set.

Also, York 9 charged cheap tickets for the Impact game.

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I to am wondering who has this aforementioned mind set.

Also, York 9 charged cheap tickets for the Impact game.

I think what he means by working together is adding MLS reserve teams to the CPL.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you cut a sandwich horizontally, don't you just end up with two open-face sandwiches? :)

(sorry, normally, I'm having such discussions about how to cut sandwiches with my 6-year old ... who has opinions.)

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think what he means by working together is adding MLS reserve teams to the CPL.

Someone should tell him all of the league's stakeholders (fans, sponsors, ownership groups, media partners, sanctioning organizations, etc.) being against MLS reserve teams in the CPL does not equate to a mindset where the league's are bitter enemies. Also, like others have pointed out, these games would not sell well if they were branded as reverse teams.

Posted (edited)

Related to attendance, since folks talk about pricing, here is an article in Spanish that explains the season ticket prices for all La Liga teams this season. 

https://as.com/futbol/2019/08/16/primera/1565947862_277531.html

It explains that many teams reward fidelty with significant discounts, like Getafe, Levante, Leganés and Villareal, with weaker and less tradition fan bases or less continuity in top flight. 

Teams like Atletico de Madrid, Getafe or Valencia offer very favourable installment deals, deferring payment at the start of the season and spreading payments out over the season.

Family stands, one parent-one child ticketing deals, and youth supporter stands all come into play. 

Six teams have dropped their prices, 8 have more or less kept them the same, while 6, including the three new teams in top flight, have raised prices, logically. The most expensive season deal, which I believe includes Cup, is the Bernabeu, at just over 2000 euros for near the presidential box (where some argue a lot of Spanish political and economic deals take place). It is still under 100 euros a game on average. For European games, you can pay 600 euros more, so that if they get out of the group stage you are paying 150 euros a match or less.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Based on what I'm seeing in Ticketmaster, compared to what I've seen in advance of previous games, it looks to me like Valour ticketed attendance today and on Monday will likely be around 5000.  I'm predicting actual bums in seats to be higher on Monday though.  This city is empty this weekend, and I'm seeing lots of regulars saying they can't make it today.