Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Recommended Posts

Wheeler said on the broadcast last night that there were about 100 travelling supporters from Calgary in BC Place. That to me is amazing. Even if it's actually 50 or 25 I'm impressed. With the winning result and that kind of hard core fan support, the by-all-accounts amazing atmosphere at ATCO field, and the winning form, I'm feeling good about the future attendance levels for Cavalry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going to add that Valour has adjusted their top priced seating downwards as well.  See if it helps any with sales in those sections.  Still cost you $50 per.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Pathetic that some narrow-minded individuals on here are projecting their CanPL vs MLS obsessions onto other people when the silent majority in Canadian soccer will want both leagues to thrive...

🤣

This "silent majority" crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument. 

I have not met a single person in the local soccer community that gives a **** about the success of MLS. They may want the Whitecaps to be successful, but now that we have our own pro team, that is less of a concern. Casual fans (the closest thing you can get to an actual, "silent majority") don't understand why the Whitecaps aren't playing in the CanPL, or if they are aware, think they should move.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this will be a turning point for Calgary, and maybe the whole league.  A tipping point that pushes some of the MLS and Eurosnobs over to trying our local product.  Us, the rabid fans have already seen that the quality is good, the experience is fun and if the league has problems at least they are our problems, not ones  creates by americans for the benifit of american soccer players/owners. 

Maybe this will wake up some people at sportsnet, TSN and CBC, and they will grow some balls and support the CDN league.  Start a nice CPL soccer saturday tradition (not just a few sporadic games on CBC).  And I think that it might be the first time TSN actually had CPL highlights, they still refuse to put the CPL on their soccer tool bar on website.  You know cause there is such a nice feeling of cooperation between MLS/TSN and the rest of canada.  Although I hear even Binky/Robert is going to try a Pacific game now.  There is hope!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ted said:

🤣

This "silent majority" crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument. 

 

Another tactic they use is to play the victim, which he does all the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ted said:

🤣

This "silent majority" crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument. 

I have not met a single person in the local soccer community that gives a **** about the success of MLS. They may want the Whitecaps to be successful, but now that we have our own pro team, that is less of a concern. Casual fans (the closest thing you can get to an actual, "silent majority") don't understand why the Whitecaps aren't playing in the CanPL, or if they are aware, think they should move.

Have fun with your narrow crabs in a barrel mentality then. I'll hope all of Canadian pro soccer does well in the years ahead and make no apology for doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^ ^ Echo that.  I'm not sure a lot of regulars at the Valour matches would swap IG Field for someplace like Clarke just to have a cozier venue.  Not if it means giving up a modern grandstand, roof, and all the other trimings, even if we are only using a fraction of the stadium.  And in the portion that is open things are fairly full to capacity, which goes a long ways in keeping it feeling like you are at an event despite the size.  

I'm damned sure almost none of the casuals would swap IGF for a venue like Clarke.  Not to pick on Clarke Stadium.  It's just that it's a long way from what spoiled footie fans expect. 

Would give my right arm to have an LRT station a 3 minutes walk from IGF though.  Supposedly one day. Would be great if my grand kids could take me on the LRT when Winnipeg North End visits Valour in the league derby.

1) 100% agree about IGF vs others. The gameday experience rocks. If it was the old Winnipeg Stadium I would be more willing to have the discussion but IGF is *REALLY* good.

2) Once Phase II of the Rapid Transit goes through I will have a LRT station three minute walk from my house. Fort Garry FTW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe this will wake up some people at sportsnet, TSN and CBC, and they will grow some balls and support the CDN league.  Start a nice CPL soccer saturday tradition (not just a few sporadic games on CBC).  And I think that it might be the first time TSN actually had CPL highlights, they still refuse to put the CPL on their soccer tool bar on website.  You know cause there is such a nice feeling of cooperation between MLS/TSN and the rest of canada.  Although I hear even Binky/Robert is going to try a Pacific game now.  There is hope!!  

I'm not holding my breath. The CPL will succeed despite TSN, MLS, MLSE, Sportsnet, and CBC. I'll give credit to Sportsnet when they had John Molinaro, but now he's been let go. And I'll give credit to the CBC for televising/streaming 20 games. That's helpful for sure. But beyond that there's precious little. Considering their mandate for Canadian content and to promote all things Canadian it's disappointing for me.

Given they are competing in the same marketplace it's no surprise whatsoever the snubbing of the CPL by TSN/MLS/MLSE. Beyond what they can't avoid (thanks to the CanChamp) there's nothing. It's interesting that some of TSN's on air personalities : Gareth Wheeler, Terry Dunfield, Nigel Reid support the CPL by giving commentary etc on OneSoccer. Credit to them.

The CanChamp is so important to the CPL. It's where the market of new CPL sports fans will gain their awareness of the league. Other than the grassroots work of building a fanbase in each of the local cities which is coming along gradually but is more long term.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'll hope all of Canadian pro soccer does well in the years ahead and make no apology for doing so.

Great, you do that. So will the rest of us. The only difference is, most of us don't care if MLS lives or dies, and that includes a good chunk (if not a majority) of Whitecaps, Impact, and TFC fans who would be happy to see these teams jump to CanPL.

If you feel the need to support an American league, you go right ahead, I like watching the EPL, I know people who are excited LMX is coming to OneSoccer.  Your point was that in the minds of your imaginary , "silent majority", somehow it is better for the Whitecaps (et al) to remain in MLS. This is simply not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ted said:

🤣

This "silent majority" crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument. 

I have not met a single person in the local soccer community that gives a **** about the success of MLS. They may want the Whitecaps to be successful, but now that we have our own pro team, that is less of a concern. Casual fans (the closest thing you can get to an actual, "silent majority") don't understand why the Whitecaps aren't playing in the CanPL, or if they are aware, think they should move.

 

“This ‘silent majority’ crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument...” 

Wow... relax. You’ve been watching too much CNN or whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Given they are competing in the same marketplace it's no surprise whatsoever the snubbing of the CPL by TSN/MLS/MLSE. Beyond what they can't avoid (thanks to the CanChamp) there's nothing. It's interesting that some of TSN's on air personalities : Gareth Wheeler, Terry Dunfield, Nigel Reid support the CPL by giving commentary etc on OneSoccer. Credit to them.

I'm trying to figure out why you list MLSE in here. They share some ownership with TSN and Sportsnet, of course, but they don't really make broadcast decisions outside of their own little scope of teams.

If anything, TFC allowing Wheeler and coaches Dunfield and Jon Conway to moonlight as CPL pundits shows that the decision makers at MLSE aren't anti-CPL as much as they are pro-MLSE owned teams, which is kinda obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you guys from being in Calgary since April that the momentum here is noticeable. The home game against Vancouver drew in lots of new fans who left wanting more. Now with Cavalry moving on I have been hearing a lot of chatter from local media as well as friends and coworkers. Heard a couple of different radio stations talk about the game last night (and I mean like, music stations not just sports talk) as well. A few of my friends who havent been to a game were asking me today when the montreal game is.

 

I'd say it's going better than anyone could have hoped at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

“This ‘silent majority’ crap is a favorite tool of white-supremacists, dictators and members of the US Republican Party. Not a particularly effective argument...” 

Wow... relax. You’ve been watching too much CNN or whatever. 

CNN or every mainstream media outlet, lets call a spade a spade.
That being said I'm sure there are many Canadian soccer fans that dont want to see MLS die, unlike Ted.

Edited by Ivanovski94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

That being said I'm sure there are many Canadian soccer fans that dont want to see MLS die, unlike Ted.

Wow, thanks for taking "I don't give a ****" and falsely pretending I wish them harm. Thanks for creating a false narrative to argue against. I don't for one minute believe a majority of Canadian soccer fans want MLS to die, I just don't think a majority of Canadian soccer fans care one way or the other so long as the three teams keep playing pro soccer.

Do a majority of Canadian Soccer fans give a **** about the Eridivisie? Nope. Does that mean they want to see it die? Again, no.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ted said:

Wow, thanks for taking "I don't give a ****" and falsely pretending I wish them harm. Thanks for creating a false narrative to argue against. I don't for one minute believe a majority of Canadian soccer fans want MLS to die, I just don't think a majority of Canadian soccer fans care one way or the other so long as the three teams keep playing pro soccer.

Do a majority of Canadian Soccer fans give a **** about the Eridivisie? Nope. Does that mean they want to see it die? Again, no.
 

ohh you're angry, relax tough guy. Most casuals probably would feel a tad sad if they hear a league collapse. Dont get fandom and sympathy mixed up. Using the Eridivise as an example is very smart because the Netherlands is also our geographical neighbour, where most of our best athletes in all disciplines go to further their development with hopes of making a career. MLS, USL, NCAA, provide canadians with another pathway. a copllapse or fracturing of their system would hurt Canadian soccer players, with CPL and our own systems in place, the impact wouldnt be as pronounced, but the systems of the USA are greater because they have more money, investments, infrastructure etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🤣

FFS, how about you don't get antipathy and sympathy confused.  

Again, just because someone does not care, it does NOT follow that they wish harm. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Using the Eridivise as an example is very smart because the Netherlands is also our geographical neighbour, where most of our best athletes in all disciplines go to further their development with hopes of making a career. 

*Looks at a map & tilts head*

I must have missed something, because there's no way the Netherlands counts as Canada's geographical neighbour unless suddenly any country bordering an ocean is our geographical neighbour...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ted said:

Again, just because someone does not care, it does NOT follow that they wish harm. 

Same, I don't care about USSF leagues just as much as I don't care about the Swedish leagues...doesn't mean I want to see them crash and burn...couldn't be furthest from the truth.

I'm just wishing that down the road, Canadian dollars and resources are used exclusively to grow the game in Canada, not to help grow USSF leagues while our own could use those resources. Doesn't mean that I don't want Canadian teams to face US teams, just means that we have a Champions League for and more of those games can be arrange through that League Cup if need be (I find it useless though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RS said:

I'm trying to figure out why you list MLSE in here. They share some ownership with TSN and Sportsnet, of course, but they don't really make broadcast decisions outside of their own little scope of teams.

If anything, TFC allowing Wheeler and coaches Dunfield and Jon Conway to moonlight as CPL pundits shows that the decision makers at MLSE aren't anti-CPL as much as they are pro-MLSE owned teams, which is kinda obvious.

Fair enough. I may be being a bit harsh lumping MLSE in with them. I guess I see it as a birds of a feather flock together kind of thing. I don't think they are sort of active against the CPL in the way the TSN/MLS are with almost radio silence on CPL. At the same time I don't see MLSE doing anything to help CPL either. Actually, as I think about it, to counter my own argument, you can say that allowing the Telfer loan from TFC to York9 is a support for the league. I think that one has been good for both parties, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

CNN or every mainstream media outlet, lets call a spade a spade.
That being said I'm sure there are many Canadian soccer fans that dont want to see MLS die, unlike Ted.

They’re all pretty bad, but I find CNN to be the most embarrassing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rintaran said:

*Looks at a map & tilts head*

I must have missed something, because there's no way the Netherlands counts as Canada's geographical neighbour unless suddenly any country bordering an ocean is our geographical neighbour...

Its sarcasm you dunce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A little perspective on MLS:

When TFC first joined, I was very happy and watched most of those early season matches. But once I came to understand the prejudice shown towards Canadian players while happily raking in $$$ from Canadian markets, it left a bad taste.

I don't wish MLS any harm but it is a foreign league. And having MLS franchises in the three biggest Canadian markets definitely damages CPL's prospects. But I am not authoritarian. I recognise those three franchises (and Ottawa Fury) brought professional football to Canada when CPL was just a pipe dream and I think they should be allowed to stay where they are for as long as they like. I do hope that one day the Canadian MLS franchises will be gone but I want it to happen voluntarily. And of course any new Canadian team must play in CPL.

MLS will always be a legitimate pathway for talented young Canadians, just as it always has been, regardless of whether there are franchises located in Canadian cities. And the same can be said for other foreign leagues around the world. It seems to me that making CPL as strong as possible is what will be best for Canadian football in the long run.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, ted said:

Great, you do that. So will the rest of us. The only difference is, most of us don't care if MLS lives or dies, and that includes a good chunk (if not a majority) of Whitecaps, Impact, and TFC fans who would be happy to see these teams jump to CanPL.

If you feel the need to support an American league, you go right ahead, I like watching the EPL, I know people who are excited LMX is coming to OneSoccer.  Your point was that in the minds of your imaginary , "silent majority", somehow it is better for the Whitecaps (et al) to remain in MLS. This is simply not true.

Just want to know where are you getting this notion that TFC fans would be happy if TFC left the MLS and went to the CPL. I’m a TFC ticket holder since day one , you know I actually have spent my hard earned money since 2007 supporting pro soccer here in Toronto and Canada, anyways I’ve not heard from anyone around the section that I’ve been seating in at BMO Field that would be that happy for TFC joining the CPL, so just curious where your getting this from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

...I’ve not heard from anyone around the section that I’ve been seating in at BMO Field that would be that happy for TFC joining the CPL, so just curious where your getting this from?

Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to actually poll the entire stadium on a random night. I'd be willing to bet money that a good chunk, maybe even a majority (the words I used above) would like to see TFC in the CanPL. That has no basis in fact, just my opinion.

I also believe it is likely, given the way T.O. sees it's place in the universe, that support for remaining in MLS would be highest in Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...