2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

^ seems you missed the news that traffic and parking was a nightmare..some got there 15-20 min in, others in the 2nd half and some even turned back and went home

I suspected it would be. Wouldn't dream of driving down there. Would have been the C-train to Somerset-Bridlewood, then the bus, but it seems they may have had issues with them...

May take a few games to iron out the wrinkles with the transportation. I am sure they will figure it out.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

And none of the tickets were free.

...so it should probably be viewed as the highest so far. Don't think the season opener in Hamilton should be included in any average attendance numbers that are calculated, because paid attendance is what matters. Things appear to be going well in Hamilton on season tickets, so I suspect they won't need that 17,611 number included to be the best supported team by the end of the season.

10 hours ago, masster said:

4424 was probably the tickets distributed number and 3400 could be an estimate of how many actually showed up.

...which could be as soon as tomorrow night if Saturday was only 3400 because there are way more blue dots showing in the main grandstand for tomorrow's game than there was for Saturday's. Agree that once the novelty wears off 3500 will probably be nothing out of the ordinary for this league and that they should be mildly encouraged by that, if things unfold that way.

32 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

What is embarrassing about an attendance of 3500?  For this level of soccer in these communities, attendances like these have to be expected.  Embarassment will come into play once we hid mid-week games at the 1500 level.

Dont worry about it Marc, some people are just searching social media for A-hole posts to back up their negative outlook on things.  Getting super excited or freaked out over every attendence number is going to give you whiplash.  Come to a game, watch a game online, buy some merch, create some buzz on the internet/visit the CPL site etc...enjoy it, support it.  I'll be 3 sections down from Mrs C and the RRR crew on saturday when we beat up on the wanderers.  GO VALOUR!!

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

What is embarrassing about an attendance of 3500?  For this level of soccer in these communities, attendances like these have to be expected.  Embarassment will come into play once we hid mid-week games at the 1500 level.

given the fact it's the largest market the cpl is in (not counting york) and it's the so far worst attended debut, i can get calling it an embarrassment 

I have the impression Cavalry has very much compressed their target market.  For good or bad that's the path they're choosen.  I expect that if at year's end they're pushing 3K average attendance they're going to be very pleased with themselves.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

What's embarrassing is someone who references Pokémon and Soviet style communism in their twitter handle.  

not really? it's pretty funny as pokemon is pretty shamelessly capitalist

The statistical reality is 1 or 2 of these teams starting likely wont exist in 5-10 years. Happens in pretty well any start up league.

If teams are only drawing 1500 they wont be around. If your drawing 3000 or so while working out the bugs you may be able to stay a float for a little while. If cant draw more then a couple thousand a match the support just isn't there and its time to move on.

Let’s not scrutinize every single attendance number . I’m sure each team has budgeted for certain numbers. If it’s true what the powers that be have been telling us these owners are in it for the long haul. Yes there will be some low crowds and some games the attendances will be pretty good but I truly believe this league is a work in progress and it will take time to grow this league so patience will be needed and especially with attendances and I’m sure budgets will be created accordingly and moreover revenue will not just be made from attendance only as we are seeing. The main thing is that the league is finally here and off the ground and ready to grow hopefully year by year.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Only embarrassment is that Calgary roads, Spruce Meadows parking and game day ops couldn't handle 3400 people.

Which is a pity.  Thought the stands they've put in looked rather well laid out.  Course that burm at one end is a bit lost but maybe they could sex it up a bit somehow.  Or trash it down.  Either way, if it's going to be a disctict feature let it be a distict feature if you know what I mean.  Used to tell the Little One the coolest person she's ever going to be is when she's that person who's comfortable in her own skin. 

Spruce Meadows, you be you.  

5 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The statistical reality is 1 or 2 of these teams starting likely wont exist in 5-10 years. Happens in pretty well any start up league.

If teams are only drawing 1500 they wont be around. If your drawing 3000 or so while working out the bugs you may be able to stay a float for a little while. If cant draw more then a couple thousand a match the support just isn't there and its time to move on.

2/3rds of the Portuguese league having been surviving on these numbers for almost 100 years.

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I have the impression Cavalry has very much compressed their target market.  For good or bad that's the path they're choosen.  I expect that if at year's end they're pushing 3K average attendance they're going to be very pleased with themselves.

It's a different story if they were downtown

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

2/3rds of the Portuguese league having been surviving on these numbers for almost 100 years.

...but they don't do much air travel and rely a lot on away supporters for Benfica, Sporting and Porto boosting their overall average, so that's not really comparable. Think you can add another 2000 or so to what you need to stay afloat in a Canadian context.

12 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

If teams are only drawing 1500 they wont be around. If your drawing 3000 or so while working out the bugs you may be able to stay a float for a little while...

If you can get a lot of people to pay crazy ticket prices, a lower average probably works out OK. It's beginning to look like the Calgary experiment on that is probably going to fail, however, because it's only the reasonably priced seats that appear to be selling to any huge extent.

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

Whats the current capacity of spruce meadows? Seems theres 1500+ tickets available for tomorrow

On wikipedia it states the main grandstand has 4500 seats and that looks accurate when you multiply rows by seats in each seaction, so the stated 6000 overall looks credible once the grass bank seating, the officer's balcony and standing room only tickets are factored in. Going by what appears to have been sold on ticketmaster they shouldn't be drastically far off 3400, but there are way more blue dots on display this time, so what's being displayed on ticketmaster and what's being announced on attendance might not be providing the full picture. Maybe there were a lot of no shows last time due to weather and traffic issues.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Well, in Cavalry's situation, it would a case of the support not being there at those ticket prices. Hopefully it works out though.

Edited by Macksam