2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

12 minutes ago, ted said:

Yeah, kinda ridiculous to declare a club dead that is currently building the best training facility ever seen on the Island, maybe even BC.

There are a lot of weirdos in the world... I just don’t get the impetus to constantly gleefully seek out any potential way to criticize or undermine this new league, but evidently there are people whose lives are so bereft of positivity or meaning that they feel the perverse need to troll. It’s pretty sad if you ask me. Anyhow, I’m not particularly worried about any club folding any time soon; as has been said before, the owners will have gone into this expecting years of losses and uphill business planning, so to speculate about a club folding anytime soon is wildly irresponsible and baseless, and it only serves to irritate. 

Of course we’d all like every club to sell out week after week, but this league is new, our brand awareness is low, and things will likely improve as the clubs’ respective owners figure things out (and as the league’s level of play continues to prove the naysayers wrong).

Also, the commercial relationships, broadcast deals, and business sponsors that have been achieved are impressive, and I’m fairly confident that with those in place, none of our clubs will be experience much in the way of losses. 

Edited by Ams1984
Autocorrect is stupid.

I noticed that Toronto FC’s attendance has been down this year at around 24 000 compared to the last 2 years average of around 26 000 each year. 

Is it possible the CPL is taking a little cut out of the attendance or is it based on Toronto’s form. Toronto didn't have a good season last year either, but maybe the fans were in a Cup hangover. 

I know I haven’t been to a TFC game since the CPL started, but have been to 9 CPL games. Would much rather support a team that supports Canadians than Americans

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I noticed that Toronto FC’s attendance has been down this year at around 24 000 compared to the last 2 years average of around 26 000 each year. 

Is it possible the CPL is taking a little cut out of the attendance or is it based on Toronto’s form. Toronto didn't have a good season last year either, but maybe the fans were in a Cup hangover. 

I know I haven’t been to a TFC game since the CPL started, but have been to 9 CPL games. Would much rather support a team that supports Canadians than Americans

It has a lot do with the sale of Giovinco.

And the team is pretty boring now.

I'm a season ticket holder and have only been to 1 game this year.

And the after market is nearly dead now.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

And the after market is nearly dead now

The Raptors' crazy ride and the Leafs being "contenders" again probably affect ticket sales with people having to choose what team to buy tickets for and as someone said TFC's hype in trending down compared to 2016-17

2 hours ago, narduch said:

And the after market is nearly dead now.

This. I'm a season ticket holder as well, and I haven't exactly been blown away by the on-field product this year. The team is a bit better, and their playoff chances are better, but they are blowing chances for easy points, just like last year. Much of the sting is missing from their offence this season.

The after-market is just about completely dead. It is very difficult to move tickets to games I can't make, without giving away the tickets outright. Barring any huge promotions, I will probably ditch my TFC seasons and retain my Y9 seasons. I can still buy TFC tickets for the odd game next year.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

At this point the team doesn't really need that World Cup expansion 

It never did, but the City was never going to turn down free federal money to significantly upgrade its property.

14 hours ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

This. I'm a season ticket holder as well, and I haven't exactly been blown away by the on-field product this year. The team is a bit better, and their playoff chances are better, but they are blowing chances for easy points, just like last year. Much of the sting is missing from their offence this season.

The after-market is just about completely dead. It is very difficult to move tickets to games I can't make, without giving away the tickets outright. Barring any huge promotions, I will probably ditch my TFC seasons and retain my Y9 seasons. I can still buy TFC tickets for the odd game next year.

I think its just due to the team sucking last year they had to lose season ticket holders. Didn’t they increase the price too? York9 might take away a few hundred fans. The Blue Jays have lost about 20,000 fans per game in two years because the team is awful. Toronto is a bit of a bandwagon city. If TFC were in first place I’m sure they would be getting 26000 fans per game. 

The Raptors probably took lots of fans money so they had less to spend on other teams. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think its just due to the team sucking last year they had to lose season ticket holders. Didn’t they increase the price too? York9 might take away a few hundred fans. The Blue Jays have lost about 20,000 fans per game in two years because the team is awful. Toronto is a bit of a bandwagon city. If TFC were in first place I’m sure they would be getting 26000 fans per game. 

The Raptors probably took lots of fans money so they had less to spend on other teams. 

TFC season tickets rose in most cases, though my seasons were kept at the same rate. I doubt the decline in attendance resulted from ticket prices going up - more a result of the decline in the team's performance, as you suggest.

I bolded the above part because I feel like most cities are bandwagon cities with respect to their established sports teams. Teams that have prolonged spells of mediocre or lousy play tend to feel it at the gate. The exceptions to this rule seem to be long established teams long established leagues in big markets - i.e. Leafs, Knicks.

In Toronto's case (and I'm sure this pattern shows up elsewhere as well), when teams do very well for a period of time, as was the case with both TFC and the Blue Jays not long ago, the bar is raised for the average fan. When a highly-competitive team all of a sudden experiences a drop-off in play, fan interest tends to dry up quickly.

CanPL teams definitely appear to be able to draw better against MLS teams even when there are ridiculously high ticket prices involved. Think people really need to drop the mindset in which the two leagues are bitter enemies and try to envisage a future where they are able to work together in a way that strengthens Canadian soccer overall.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:19 AM, Stanley said:

I don't remember him being so unhinged.

My only encounter with him was once when he butted into a thread just to swear at me.  Admittedly, the topic was something contentious like whether sandwiches should be cut horizontally or diagonally, and he stuck his nose in to tell me to f*** off.

23 minutes ago, vancanman said:

My only encounter with him was once when he butted into a thread just to swear at me.  Admittedly, the topic was something contentious like whether sandwiches should be cut horizontally or diagonally, and he stuck his nose in to tell me to f*** off.

If you cut your sandwiches horizontally, you CAN fuck off!!!!!  😛

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you cut your sandwiches horizontally, you CAN **** off!!!!!  😛

I agree.  I was on the side of reason in that debate!

Edit:  I just read that a second time and laughed all over again.  Thank you.

Edited by vancanman