2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

12 hours ago, RS said:

On the contrary. MLS loves Canada's cup competition, since that's how it gets some of its most successful entrants into the CCL.

That doesn't fit the simplistic nationalist narrative that often seems to dominate on here in which MLS is always depicted as an alien intrusion that doesn't do anything positive for the welfare of Canadian soccer even though many tens of millions have been invested by the three MLS franchises into the development of Canadian youth players through their academy systems over the last decade, but is probably very much accurate.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That doesn't fit the simplistic nationalist narrative that often seems to dominate on here in which MLS is always depicted as an alien intrusion that doesn't do anything positive for the welfare of Canadian soccer even though many tens of millions have been invested by the three MLS franchises into the development of Canadian youth players through their academy systems over the last decade, but is probably very much accurate.

Again, who are these posters that give this narrative...???

🤨

Edited by Macksam

22 hours ago, narduch said:

I love that he doesn't see the irony in attacking fans of the Canadian national team on their own forum. 

We are supposed to just kiss the ass of MLS and USSF for passing us crumbs. 

Remember, this was the guy who was basically licking the rear of TFC from the moment it was announced. He pumped it even when the team was garbage for most of its history. He went overboard when they won some unimportant cup and used it as proof that MLS was doing what is was supposed to. However, it never turned out well for him after that speedball and he's paying for it with some useless trolling.

Anybody who wishes to quote him still, I have the stick ready for use.

^^^prime example of an overly simplistic nationalist narrative in which MLS is portrayed as an alien intrusion. Meanwhile York 9 have only been able to draw something close to a capacity crowd when playing against MLS opposition and have often struggled to get into four figures where actual attendance is concerned against CanPL opposition. That strongly suggests that the types of hardcore nationalist rabidly anti-MLS views that routinely get posted on here are in no way representative of how most Canadian soccer fans view things. For clarity, I hope all pro soccer teams in Canada do well and massively succeed whatever league they are playing in, whether that be CanPL, MLS or USL because I am motivated first and foremost by the soccer rather than by some political agenda.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Remember, this was the guy who was basically licking the rear of TFC from the moment it was announced. He pumped it even when the team was garbage for most of its history. He went overboard when they won some unimportant cup and used it as proof that MLS was doing what is was supposed to. However, it never turned out well for him after that speedball and he's paying for it with some useless trolling.

I wonder if he even watches the games (or has a One Soccer sub). Seems totally infatuated with the attendance, which constitute most of his posts. 

Does he even post in the MLS sub forum?

I was a big MLS booster too when TFC joined. But with the league continuing to discriminate against Canadian players I'm losing my passion for that league. 

I still content that of the 3 MLS clubs had done a better job developing Canadian players there would have been less of an impetus for the CPL. So if the the CPL bleeds support for the MLS clubs (however minor it may be) they only have themselves to blame. 

6 hours ago, DoyleG said:

And you were the guy who started a thread entitled "RIP Canadian Soccer" when TFC was announced.

Birds of a feather...

3 hours ago, RS said:

And you were the guy who started a thread entitled "RIP Canadian Soccer" when TFC was announced.

Birds of a feather...

You got me curious about that thread (I wasn't around this forum back then), but I couldn't find it :(

I'm curious to read it because I can see how it would be interpreted as a mixed blessing. Great to have a pro Canadian team, but no doubt people believed (myself included) that it probably meant that we wouldn't get our own pro league (unless the team folded and there was opportunity down the line to try again).

It would be fun to read it in the context we have today.

3 hours ago, Reign said:

Well they only had like 15 of them there. 

Yeah, I counted the fans in that group at the banner at different times and there were never 15 unless you are gonna pretend that everyone sitting in that end stand are Gen IX.

Just now, ted said:

Yeah, I counted the fans in that group at the banner at different times and there were never 15 unless you are gonna pretend that everyone sitting in that end stand are Gen IX.

A Gen IX guy told me there was that many and he was at the game, but meh could careless lol.

It's that simple guys.

As long as major Canadian channels snobs CPL and aren't showing highlights nor talking about it while ESPN plays Aparicio goals on the same night, it will be a tough ladder to climb.

The potential is there. I keep harassing French media and journalists and sports channels to talk CPL. We have to collectively hammer them nonstop until they cave.

8 hours ago, Reign said:

Well they only had like 15 of them there. 

I am always in supporters and a lot of the members were missing. There were about 5 actually in Generation IX who attended the game last night and they probably felt like a missing jigsaw. They started out lifeless, but I can't blame them when a few I'd bet went to Toronto FC. We really peaked once Pacific scored, that was the loudest we were in the game.