Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Forge FC Season Thread 2019

Posted (edited)

Huge pickup considering how little rotation we’ve had on the back line. 

Curious of his level, if he’s anything like he was two years ago, he should be a top tier defender in this league (if not the best)

Edited by Pottsy3

Not good to lose Welshman, but rumours had been flying so I've been able to adjust to the news in advance. At least Nowak is back. The addition of Edgar would seem good, although I agree that it's a striker we were missing already. 

Simeon Jackson would be a nice addition with Babouli. Busti would be a huge get. 

Edgar has dropped so many levels in the UK but has been hampered by injuries. The fact no-one has taken him makes me think he isn't likely to be off the treatment table for long or regaining form that made him a championship mainstay. If fit will still make a fantastic addition and someone for younger players to really look up to and learn from. 

2 hours ago, grande said:

Just announced on Twitter: David Edgar coming to Hamilton.

Edit: Helps if I include the link...

Didn't see that one coming. Would be interesting to know how the transfer rules work. Given he is from Kitchener do Hamilton get to claim him as one of their local signings? It was never clear why the Valour seemed to have the inside track earlier this season.

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

@RS our resident TSN mole? I like it.

You're one of the few people on here who knows me IRL, so you know how absurd that accusation is.

Pretty good switch for Forge. There is enough depth on the wings for Forge to replace Welshman. The whole crowd got a buzz when Thomas came on. Plus still have Zajac, Choiniere, Nanco and not have much of a dropoff. Hopefully, Edgar can be an improvement at CB.

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If he’s fit then Edgar becomes the missing piece on the backline that we’ve been needing.  This could be a fantastic announcement.

I actually thought Owundi & Krutzen looked very solid together against Antigua. Back three, push Krutzen to fullback?

55 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I actually thought Owundi & Krutzen looked very solid together against Antigua. Back three, push Krutzen to fullback?

Just sit Samuel and insert Edgar...after that I don't care how we line up in the back.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Pretty good switch for Forge. There is enough depth on the wings for Forge to replace Welshman. The whole crowd got a buzz when Thomas came on. Plus still have Zajac, Choiniere, Nanco and not have much of a dropoff. Hopefully, Edgar can be an improvement at CB.

I disagree as Welshman looked one of the most dangerous attackers for Forge vs Antigua, and since moving to a more outside attacker, has seemed a reap threat to every back line we’ve played against. 

Antigua’s left back will be happy to hear Welshman is gone. I’m less so as a Forge fan, but I am happy for him and what it could mean for him personally and professionally. 

Edited by maccaliam

I feel like Samuel gets an unnecessary amount of flak just from being a big boy. I’ve rarely seen him misplay a ball when he’s bossing the middle of the back line and he’s been useful moving it up the wing when he plays on the outside. He wins balls in the air and rarely loses tackles on the ground (albeit while drawing frequent cautions from the ref). 

He runs like a bull and is a lot faster than he looks. It’s easy to look negatively on such a big bodied athlete, but I can see why bobby trusts him to start week out.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I feel like Samuel gets an unnecessary amount of flak just from being a big boy. I’ve rarely seen him misplay a ball when he’s bossing the middle of the back line and he’s been useful moving it up the wing when he plays on the outside. He wins balls in the air and rarely loses tackles on the ground (albeit while drawing frequent cautions from the ref). 

He runs like a bull and is a lot faster than he looks. It’s easy to look negatively on such a big bodied athlete, but I can see why bobby trusts him to start week out.

You’re right, he’s definitely really under rated, especially offensively. He’s played well at full back when he’s been asked. He literally chopped a defender In the box and won a penalty. 

Edited by Langs

Samuel has made his fair share of crucial errors, the first couple of matches come to mind and he lost his mark for the equalizer in Edmonton last Saturday, I still think he has a lot to offer as he's versatile and has improved as the season progresses! Edgar will be a nice addition if he stays healthy as he has a wealth of experience to share with this young squad!