Forge FC Season Thread 2019

Lets just be honest, if this was a first round game with TFC/IMPACT/VAN Tsn would show it, and shuffle the other programming.  

I am definately showing my ignorance....but cable log in password??  Sonny I have cable so I dont have to log in, HAHAHA.  I get out of the chair, turn the dial on my picture tube TV, call all my friends on a rotary phone attached to the wall in my kitchen and watch the game while I drink a stubby OV beer.  

42 minutes ago, RS said:

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

They wouldn't need to produce anything. CONCACAF has been doing so themselves or via a third party already. All they had to do is broadcast the feed, which is happening because they got called out on it

44 minutes ago, RS said:

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Are you for real? CONCACAF has actually done a good job with past CL games.

49 minutes ago, RS said:

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

That's a stretch even for you. What's the point of having all those TSN channels then? Even if you're right, it shows that they never had any intention to show the game until they got pressure into it

50 minutes ago, RS said:

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

Not advocating but making excuses for them almost burying this game, on purpose. You act unbiased but I think people can see past that

To everyone here telling me TSN is trying to “bury” this game: What program do you suggest they move tonight? And how much do you think it’ll cost them to do so?

If they wanted to bury the game, they wouldn’t have shown it at all. Yes, they can absolutely do more for local soccer in general, but that’s not the argument here.

And anyone talking about how many channels TSN has knows nothing about how it’s license works. TSN has two national channels, one of which can be split into regional feeds for a specified number of hours per month. How these hours are split are generally decided upon well in advance. This is the exact same setup as Sportsnet & Sportsnet One (although Rogers’ purchase of The Score gives them more flexibility).

Anyway, I’m literally Illustrating the reality of the situation, yet people are so hell bent on blaming someone they’ll shoot the messenger. Enjoy the game tonight, as I will, because I’m done yelling at the wall on this subject.

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree it's tough to move things around but how come on my telus listing is described as International friendly tba? Or is that even it. If i dont know what about the 99% of Canadians who arent super in to it

Your Telus listing is wrong. Someone at Telus screwing up doesn’t mean anything, despite people like @Ansem wanting there to be a conspiracy at every turn. Telus and Bell (TSN owners) are rival companies, btw.

On the actual TSN website it’s listed properly. 

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Your Telus listing is wrong. Someone at Telus screwing up doesn’t mean anything, despite people like @Ansem wanting there to be a conspiracy at every turn. Telus and Bell (TSN owners) are rival companies, btw.

Ok.. someone at Telus has an agenda or couldn't input words properly. Nice explanation 

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Not being featured on the front page, not advertised on social medias (F--- I'll do it for free), certainly not on TV. If it was Pacific, I'd get it but it's within this media market.

How much would it cost them to let people know that this game will happen tonight at 6 and 2am?

There's conspiracy theories and there's obvious. Larson even voiced his disappointment with the major broadcast behaviour towards the league. You must be one of the few who thinks that this is normal.

Whatever get you by my friend 

Edited by Ansem

To answer some of these posts from the past 2 pages. FI gets good ratings, so I don't begrudge TSN in showing a practice round. I also believe there is a quid pro quo with showing Aussie rules here and CFL being shown down under.

TSN got the rights to show TFC in CCL as when they made the final, 1M+ watched. But TFC flamed out this year, so TSN shelved showing anything else on tv ex the semis and final - some of the rest was shown on tsn.ca but not all. Was surprised at this since some involved MLS teams.

So, TSN has shown no qualms about showing CONCACAF feeds as they're solid anyway. Issues rise (like with PFC) when they're broadcasting from third tier stadiums. 

I have a feeling TSN wasn't really clued into CL and that Forge FC was playing. As of even this Tuesday, the listing said the match was between TBD vs TBD. TSN wouldn't bump the CFL or UFC for this match, so only option is to show on TSN2 showing ATP. Normally, TSN makes an effort to rejig their programming to show a Canadian team. And shifting away from misc tennis matches would have been easy to do unless a Canadian is scheduled to play. So, TSN did blow it in only showing live online only.

TSN isnt clued in because they dont want to be.  They dont even have CPL on their soccer header, sportsnet has it #2 behind EPL and in front of Bunda, CHampions league, MLS etc.  Very petty. Maybe some of these infamous bean counters can  sell the brass that next year they can buy the rights to CPL games (produced by onesoccer) for the cheap and get damn near the ratings they get with MLS games.  

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree it's tough to move things around but how come on my telus listing is described as International friendly tba? Or is that even it. If i dont know what about the 99% of Canadians who arent super in to it

Same with Videotron, has listed as a friendly with no teams named.

Edited by MtlMario

Huge pickup considering how little rotation we’ve had on the back line. 

Curious of his level, if he’s anything like he was two years ago, he should be a top tier defender in this league (if not the best)

Edited by Pottsy3

Not good to lose Welshman, but rumours had been flying so I've been able to adjust to the news in advance. At least Nowak is back. The addition of Edgar would seem good, although I agree that it's a striker we were missing already. 

Simeon Jackson would be a nice addition with Babouli. Busti would be a huge get. 

Edgar has dropped so many levels in the UK but has been hampered by injuries. The fact no-one has taken him makes me think he isn't likely to be off the treatment table for long or regaining form that made him a championship mainstay. If fit will still make a fantastic addition and someone for younger players to really look up to and learn from. 

2 hours ago, grande said:

Just announced on Twitter: David Edgar coming to Hamilton.

Edit: Helps if I include the link...

Didn't see that one coming. Would be interesting to know how the transfer rules work. Given he is from Kitchener do Hamilton get to claim him as one of their local signings? It was never clear why the Valour seemed to have the inside track earlier this season.