Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Forge FC Season Thread 2019

Recommended Posts

Those are some bean counters. Give me their number. I have some ocean front property in Montana to sell them. They can peer out on the Ocean while they count all the revenues pouring in from Aussie Rules football, Overwatch league and the WNBA all star game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Those are some bean counters. Give me their number. I have some ocean front property in Montana to sell them. They can peer out on the Ocean while they count all the revenues pouring in from Aussie Rules football, Overwatch league and the WNBA all star game

All of those things come pre-produced. TSN doesn't have to spend a dime on them, outside of acquiring the rights (which are had for a relative song). 

In the meantime, producing a live soccer game for television costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per match. That's where the bean counters come in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RS said:

All of those things come pre-produced. TSN doesn't have to spend a dime on them, outside of acquiring the rights (which are had for a relative song). 

In the meantime, producing a live soccer game for television costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per match. That's where the bean counters come in.

CONCACAF produce those games. They'd just broadcast it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ansem said:

CONCACAF produce those games. They'd just broadcast it.

Right, and it's being broadcast on TSN's online platform, which is equal to OneSoccer except with a much bigger reach.

My point isn't to make excuses for TSN, but to point out that slotting in a CL game onto its TV schedule isn't as easy as just doing it. There are other obligations (previous commitments) and considerations in every decision, not the least of which is the quality of the broadcast they'd receive from CONCACAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RS, first you said it was about maximising revenue...then you said it was about production costs...then it might be a low quality broadcast.  Are you sure you dont work for TSN??  I dont doubt that they werent going to show it all until people started squawking, nad then they put it in the most obscure time they could manage.  Really, couldnt the amazing race, timber sports or grand prix qualifying etc be moved??  F&ck them, I am going to have a nap and watch it at 2am...if you see me dont spoil it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

RS, first you said it was about maximising revenue...then you said it was about production costs...then it might be a low quality broadcast.  Are you sure you dont work for TSN??  I dont doubt that they werent going to show it all until people started squawking, nad then they put it in the most obscure time they could manage.  Really, couldnt the amazing race, timber sports or grand prix qualifying etc be moved??  F&ck them, I am going to have a nap and watch it at 2am...if you see me dont spoil it.  

Let me respond point-by-point, but first I'll state that I have never worked for TSN nor Bell.

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RS said:

Let me respond point-by-point, but first I'll state that I have never worked for TSN nor Bell.

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

Showing tonight's game is exactly the same as CCChampions League games. If they want to be even cheaper they could even go with the Concacaf broadcasters instead of their crew sitting in the TSN studio in sweat pants

In fact if you want to talk money, they should treat it like found money. When they bought a bundle of properties they likely didnt anticipate a huge southern Ontario market participating in this. If they get to round 3 or 4 it would be a nice little feather in their cap. But instead they want to bury it

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just be honest, if this was a first round game with TFC/IMPACT/VAN Tsn would show it, and shuffle the other programming.  

I am definately showing my ignorance....but cable log in password??  Sonny I have cable so I dont have to log in, HAHAHA.  I get out of the chair, turn the dial on my picture tube TV, call all my friends on a rotary phone attached to the wall in my kitchen and watch the game while I drink a stubby OV beer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RS said:

Maximizing revenue / Production costs: These are one and the same, as the cost to produce live games cuts into revenues. So TSN got the rights to the CL because they really wanted the Gold Cup (and some other properties), but CONCACAF bundles them all in one package). TSN was never going to produce tonight's game. The projected viewership was never going to cover that cost.

They wouldn't need to produce anything. CONCACAF has been doing so themselves or via a third party already. All they had to do is broadcast the feed, which is happening because they got called out on it

44 minutes ago, RS said:

Low-quality broadcast: This is me guessing based on years of CONCACAF-produced broadcasts. I suspect that what we'll see tonight will be a broadcast that is deemed "good enough" for online platforms with low viewership, but nowhere near the broadcast standard that TSN would want on their actual channels in prime time. I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Are you for real? CONCACAF has actually done a good job with past CL games.

 

49 minutes ago, RS said:

Moving other broadcasts to accomodate the CL game: This is always a possibility, but it's likely that the contracts that TSN has with these other shows means there is an obligation to show them in certain timeslots. The way around this is usually money, but that goes back to my first point and the bean counters not feeling like its worth the financial penalty for a game that will likely draw very low numbers.

That's a stretch even for you. What's the point of having all those TSN channels then? Even if you're right, it shows that they never had any intention to show the game until they got pressure into it

50 minutes ago, RS said:

None of what I wrote above is my advocating for TSN not showing the game live on TV. I'm simply explaining why they (as a broadcast corporation that takes very little risks by nature) do the things they do. 

For the record, the programs scheduled during the Forge game on the TSN channels are CFL (TSN 1/4/5), Citi Open tennis (TSN 2) and UFC (TSN 3). Also, if you have TSN on cable, you should be able to watch TSN.ca/Direct/GO with your cable login.

Not advocating but making excuses for them almost burying this game, on purpose. You act unbiased but I think people can see past that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To everyone here telling me TSN is trying to “bury” this game: What program do you suggest they move tonight? And how much do you think it’ll cost them to do so?

If they wanted to bury the game, they wouldn’t have shown it at all. Yes, they can absolutely do more for local soccer in general, but that’s not the argument here.

And anyone talking about how many channels TSN has knows nothing about how it’s license works. TSN has two national channels, one of which can be split into regional feeds for a specified number of hours per month. How these hours are split are generally decided upon well in advance. This is the exact same setup as Sportsnet & Sportsnet One (although Rogers’ purchase of The Score gives them more flexibility).

Anyway, I’m literally Illustrating the reality of the situation, yet people are so hell bent on blaming someone they’ll shoot the messenger. Enjoy the game tonight, as I will, because I’m done yelling at the wall on this subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I agree it's tough to move things around but how come on my telus listing is described as International friendly tba? Or is that even it. If i dont know what about the 99% of Canadians who arent super in to it

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree it's tough to move things around but how come on my telus listing is described as International friendly tba? Or is that even it. If i dont know what about the 99% of Canadians who arent super in to it

Your Telus listing is wrong. Someone at Telus screwing up doesn’t mean anything, despite people like @Ansem wanting there to be a conspiracy at every turn. Telus and Bell (TSN owners) are rival companies, btw.

On the actual TSN website it’s listed properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RS said:

Your Telus listing is wrong. Someone at Telus screwing up doesn’t mean anything, despite people like @Ansem wanting there to be a conspiracy at every turn. Telus and Bell (TSN owners) are rival companies, btw.

On the actual TSN website it’s listed properly. 

Ok.. someone at Telus has an agenda or couldn't input words properly. Nice explanation 

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RS said:

Your Telus listing is wrong. Someone at Telus screwing up doesn’t mean anything, despite people like @Ansem wanting there to be a conspiracy at every turn. Telus and Bell (TSN owners) are rival companies, btw.

On the actual TSN website it’s listed properly. 

Not being featured on the front page, not advertised on social medias (F--- I'll do it for free), certainly not on TV. If it was Pacific, I'd get it but it's within this media market.

How much would it cost them to let people know that this game will happen tonight at 6 and 2am?

There's conspiracy theories and there's obvious. Larson even voiced his disappointment with the major broadcast behaviour towards the league. You must be one of the few who thinks that this is normal.

Whatever get you by my friend 

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer some of these posts from the past 2 pages. FI gets good ratings, so I don't begrudge TSN in showing a practice round. I also believe there is a quid pro quo with showing Aussie rules here and CFL being shown down under.

TSN got the rights to show TFC in CCL as when they made the final, 1M+ watched. But TFC flamed out this year, so TSN shelved showing anything else on tv ex the semis and final - some of the rest was shown on tsn.ca but not all. Was surprised at this since some involved MLS teams.

So, TSN has shown no qualms about showing CONCACAF feeds as they're solid anyway. Issues rise (like with PFC) when they're broadcasting from third tier stadiums. 

I have a feeling TSN wasn't really clued into CL and that Forge FC was playing. As of even this Tuesday, the listing said the match was between TBD vs TBD. TSN wouldn't bump the CFL or UFC for this match, so only option is to show on TSN2 showing ATP. Normally, TSN makes an effort to rejig their programming to show a Canadian team. And shifting away from misc tennis matches would have been easy to do unless a Canadian is scheduled to play. So, TSN did blow it in only showing live online only.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TSN isnt clued in because they dont want to be.  They dont even have CPL on their soccer header, sportsnet has it #2 behind EPL and in front of Bunda, CHampions league, MLS etc.  Very petty. Maybe some of these infamous bean counters can  sell the brass that next year they can buy the rights to CPL games (produced by onesoccer) for the cheap and get damn near the ratings they get with MLS games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree it's tough to move things around but how come on my telus listing is described as International friendly tba? Or is that even it. If i dont know what about the 99% of Canadians who arent super in to it

Same with Videotron, has listed as a friendly with no teams named.

Edited by MtlMario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...