Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Forge FC Season Thread 2019

Ouch...then that's terrible for Forge. 

Rethinking my predictions from:

•Forge beating Antigua --> Forge being eliminated 

•Forge winning Fall season-->Not being part of CPL Championship 

I think that Forge expected Emery could come in and play as a striker. Him being more suited for an out wide role pushed some pretty good talent in Choineire/Nanco/Zajac into rare depth appearances.

I'm not concerned with him leaving as much as I'm hopeful that this free roster spot allows for us to bring in a proper striker. Mo Babouli is the obvious first thought, but I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Shaan Hundal who TFC probably wishes was getting more minutes in Ottawa.

If they bring in a proper target striker to replace him that's fine.  One of the things Emery brought to the table even on the wing was his physicality.  He drew a lot of defensive attention which opened things up for players like Borges and Cisse and Bekker.  When they were forced to play without Welshman or Novak in the lineup they just looked like a team with lots of possession but no final product.  

Let's keep in mind that this is what CPL is about. I'm happy for Welshman and look forward to more CPL players moving to higher leagues. Having had those players in CPL will have helped make other CPL players better and will raise the reputation of CPL.

Still hurts to lose a good player of course but it opens up an opportunity for someone else.

Does anyone know what compensation, if any, Forge received?

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Let's keep in mind that this is what CPL is about. I'm happy for Welshman and look forward to more CPL players moving to higher leagues. Having had those players in CPL will have helped make other CPL players better and will raise the reputation of CPL.

Still hurts to lose a good player of course but it opens up an opportunity for someone else.

Does anyone know what compensation, if any, Forge received?

Considering he is on loan from Cincinnati my guess is nothing 

Just now, narduch said:

Considering he is on loan from Cincinnati my guess is nothing 

Thanks, I did not know that. One of the many reasons I am not in favour of loans.

I'm ok with Welshman moving on as long as a proper replacement is brought in, he has been underwhelming to me as a striker and is no longer eligible for Canada, Forge desperately need a striker who can score on a regular basis otherwise all the possession and good midfield play will continue to be wasted!

6 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I thought Novak looked great in limited action. How's his injury coming along?

who knows... injury transparency has one of this leagues blind spots 

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

who knows... injury transparency has one of this leagues blind spots 

Bobby said in an interview recently that he should be well enough to Join the team next week. 

FC Cincinnati agrees to transfer Welshman to Hapoel, and Hapoel agrees to have him stay on loan to Forge FC. I just woke up, so that was a dream, but it may happen. We have no idea of what conditions are on the loan, so we just have to wait for it all to happen to really know what the outcome will be. Fully agree that Forge needs a true striker if they are to continue their tactical set up. Nowak returning would do that, but they shouldn't just have the one pure striker. Maybe a deal with another CPL team?

In this reddit thread about Welshman leaving, one of the commenters says the following:

I only know this, because I know him a little bit. Mo Babouli is on standby, if Esa departs. Bab’s is a similar player, with similar experience.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

As far as I can tell the only time they are playing the replay is 2am est on Friday. Not super convenient.

I don't see how Canadians would be more interested in Australian rules football or the practice round of the Hungarian grand prix which will both be shown later in the day. If they already have the feed why wouldn't they put the replay on at a better time.

Just now, Stryker911 said:

As far as I can tell the only time they are playing the replay is 2am est on Friday. Not super convenient.

I don't see how Canadians would be more interested in Australian rules football or the practice round of the Hungarian grand prix which will both be shown later in the day. If they already have the feed why wouldn't they put the replay on at a better time.

Personally, they are trying to bury the league as much as they can. It was a bad look when people started to tag them on twitter asking why they were sitting on the rights and not showing the game.

Un-f'n-believable...That's why Canada can't have nice things. Most nations would embrace such a league with open arms...not us. I admire Americans for that, never miss an occasion to celebrate all things "American"

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Un-f'n-believable...That's why Canada can't have nice things. Most nations would embrace such a league with open arms...not us. I admire Americans for that, never miss an occasion to celebrate all things "American"

You must not be familiar with American soccer, where sometimes even USMNT away games aren't available on television in the U.S.

This has nothing to do with patriotism, and everything to do with bean counters calculating how to maximize revenue. TSN is not the government of Canada.